Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-23-2000, 04:31 AM   #1
Niffiwan

I got the SW Holiday Special !!!

Woohoo!!
It also includes the original SW trailers, screen tests of Mark Hamill & Carrie Fisher and "lost scenes" from SW!
The address of the item is at cgi.ca.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eB...=967662982
so it sits nicely on the shelf along with my other SW videos because of the nice cover.

I have to say, I thought it was pretty good. With all the bad things I've heard about it, my expectations were lower than the movie.

The only thing was, the "long walk" from the north pole to where Chewie's familly lived seemed pretty short...
And they should have at least shown clipses from the Earth's North Pole in the background when they were entering it...

Also, the plot kind of wandered off and got lost towards the end.

But still overall pretty good...

PS You won't believe this, but I thought that it was too short!
Old 09-23-2000, 11:59 AM   #2
anduin

You could be committed for admitting that!

I can't believe it. There hasn't ever been anything worse put on video! TOO SHORT?!!!

Run away Niff, run away......before they lock you up and throw away the key!

:lol:
Old 09-23-2000, 01:21 PM   #3
Grand Admiral Reese

Re: You could be committed for admitting that!

I think that's the only time I've ever seen anyone say anything good about the Holiday Special.
Old 09-23-2000, 04:48 PM   #4
bmilder

Re: I got the SW Holiday Special !!!

I got it off eBay awhile ago. It was awful. Luckily the video also contained the entertaining Troops and Hardware Wars
Old 09-23-2000, 05:51 PM   #5
emilsson

Re: I got the SW Holiday Special !!!

I have only seen pictures from the HS and heard Leia's song from the end and that have convinced I do not ever want to see it. Besides, I think it'd be heard to get it over here.
Old 09-24-2000, 02:45 AM   #6
Niffiwan

No, it wouldn't be hard to get it over to Sweden, it would just take longer than usual, that's all. Shipping is usually about $4US to foreign countries...

The reason I thought it was too short: they should have included scenes of Chewbacca and Han making their way through the forest. If they had the money to do that, it would have been much better...

Really, I'm a SW video collector, and if you're any SW collector the Holiday Special is usually something that you do not want to miss, be it good or bad.
Since I'm a "video" collector... these are the SW videos that I have:

Star Wars the original trilogy (1995 edition of video)
Star Wars the special edition trilogy (1997)

and now follow the videos that most people have never even heard of...

The Ewok Adventure (1984)
Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (1985)
The Star Wars Holiday Special ( 1978 )
NEW ADDITION

Next, I'm hoping to find videos of those tv series "Droids" and "Ewoks" that used to air for some time after RotJ.

Anyone know any other things that I should look for?
Old 09-24-2000, 01:09 PM   #7
anduin

Re: ...

People in Sweden (and the rest of Europe for that matter) use a different type of video. PAL or something like that. It is like the difference between BETA and VHS...if you even know what that means. So basically, A video tape that would work in the VCRs in America will not work in the VCRs of those in the rest of the world and visa versa.
Old 09-24-2000, 06:17 PM   #8
emilsson

That's right. I wonder why that is. It seems like making things more complicated.
Old 09-25-2000, 12:17 AM   #9
Niffiwan

Yes, I'm familar with the European format... (which is better, by the way; it runs longer)
Don't you have one of those stores that changes a VHS to the European formatt? We do in Canada, at least...
Old 09-25-2000, 07:47 AM   #10
emilsson

I haven't heard of any in this town. One could probably find one in Stockholm. But I really don't know so someone else have to answer that question?
Old 09-29-2000, 03:15 AM   #11
anduin

Isn't that expensive to have the format converted? And I hardly think that the Holiday Special is worth it.