Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-30-2005, 11:17 PM   #21
Ribbons
Sapling

Oh good, I wasn't typing in the wrong place. About Rosie, she is my favorite character, but she's not exactly a hero. She was very practical and probubly really cheerful, so I don't think she would have died an old maid simply because Sam didn't return. She would have been sensible enough to move on, because for all she knew, Sam didn't even love her. She was more of a cute hobbit lass wondering shyly if Sam cared for her, not a devoted lover, if you ask me. But it's hard to tell, because their isn't that much information on her.
Ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:09 PM   #22
Lenya
Elentári

Welcome Ribbons. It sucks to bet lost on your first day eh? Oh well, I like your theory on Rosie - about her not knowing of Sam really loves her. Maybe after a year she was starting to wonder if it wasn't just her imagination.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #23
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbons
Oh good, I wasn't typing in the wrong place. About Rosie, she is my favorite character, but she's not exactly a hero. She was very practical and probubly really cheerful, so I don't think she would have died an old maid simply because Sam didn't return. She would have been sensible enough to move on, because for all she knew, Sam didn't even love her. She was more of a cute hobbit lass wondering shyly if Sam cared for her, not a devoted lover, if you ask me. But it's hard to tell, because their isn't that much information on her.
Welcome to the Moot, Ribbons!
I agree completely with your POV on Rosie. I can't say I care about her overmuch, but she is a nice lass, honest and faithful, not a Penelope hero.
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 11:54 AM   #24
Ribbons
Sapling

I think that Rosie was really practical and cheerful, so she wouldn't have died an old maid simply because Sam didn't return. She was sensible enough to move on. She was there to give Sam something to live for, and she was really important, but she's not a epic hero. But she's still my favorite. :-)
Ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #25
ofthewind
Hobbit

actually, i think she knew nothing... her one interest (as far as i can tell) in the entire matter was sam and that was that....
Old 08-19-2005, 02:33 PM   #26
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Yep, I agree. When Sam returns home (at the very end) she's just glad to see him back. No questions, no tears, just happy. That's great.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:21 PM   #27
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock
Yep, I agree. When Sam returns home (at the very end) she's just glad to see him back. No questions, no tears, just happy. That's great.
I know, I agree, and this quality of hers as her character in the whole scheme of things in Lord of the Rings i think is what makes her so special, so necessary a component to add to the flavour of Sam's personality as well, and so poignant & refreshing. I really like her simplicity and her pure, casual normalcy.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:31 AM   #28
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I love the scene where they first meet up when Sam gets to the Cotton house. He's distressed because there's the whole Ruffian thing, and nervous about seeing her again, but he's been through Mordor and everything, and she asks him if he's been looking after Frodo all this time, why is he abandoning him just when things get dangerous? Don't have the exact quote, but it just seems the perfect let-down, after everything Sam's been through! But she's sweet, and I'm sure she loves him. How much did she know? Probably just what she heard from other Hobbits, until Sam got back. I'm sure he told her everything after they were married.

Or did he? Some of it might have been too painful for him to discuss, and he wouldn't have wanted to burden her with the scary stuff, like Shelob, or Snaga. But I'm sure he told her about the Oliphaunts, and all his friends in the Fellowship.

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:22 PM   #29
EarthBound
Lady Tipple & Queen of Blessed Thistle

I think Rosie was the lass all those men hoped to return to from the world wars from which Tolkien himself (Thank goodness) returned.

I'm also betting Sam told most everything to Rosie, wanting to share the experience with a 'believing' and 'loving' ear. I'm sure the fella's at the pub just rolled thier eye's to most of Sam's tales...

Happy to be here

The HACBR has been alerted to my postings…..Hobbits Against Constant Beer References

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. --Ben Franklin

I want my Mooter T-Shirt!
EarthBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:02 PM   #30
paul
Sapling

Gandalf Rosie Cotton

undefined
Rosie is every women who has had to wait for her guy to come back from any war, Start with the Trojan and keep on going, She has to cope with Sam's PTSD a.k.a. (in Tolkiens day shelll shock) and carries on to be the wife opf a succesful hobbit
paul is offline   Reply With Quote