Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2004, 11:41 PM   #1
gdl96
the greg the admin

Why is there no mention of...

In the movie, why is there no reference to "Nine Fingered Frodo"? I always liked that little conversation in the book and such about how Frodo would be remembered. Anybody else disapointed about this?

I have a feeling that there will at least be some mention of this in the rumored 5 hour EE DVD.
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I also ejoyed that exchange, and how then the tale was actually told, and Sam was all so excited.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

That part was cool. Go nameless minstrel of Gondor! I guess that was just another neglected detail. No room for everything or whatever.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Well if you watch the movies and then read the books right after again you really catch a lot of lines that they did use and didn't even know. I started to re-read the whole series again right after I watched all of the movies when RotK came out and I have realized that they put a ton of lines into the movie that I didn't even remember were from the book. Granted this one wasn't in it, but they did a good job with a lot of other things as far as book lines go
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:59 PM   #5
matthew
Enting

Speaking of omissions, is anyone other than me ready to sue pj over the disappearance of the scouring of the shire? I loved the movie, but the omission bothered me. if its not in the EE i will be realy mad!

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

It's not in the EE. It was never shot. (It didn't bother me, I knew about it a year or so in advance so I was prepared.)

Dúnedain: We aren't discussing how great they did with all the other lines. We're discussing this particular line.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
Dúnedain: We aren't discussing how great they did with all the other lines. We're discussing this particular line.
Wow you're a quick one Mr. Grinch. It's called a comment...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-08-2004, 08:31 PM   #8
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

They had that as a song on the cartoon ROTK. Thay played it 10 million times. After hearing that, I'm glad it wasn't in the movie! (Although I do want it in the extended edition, but not as a song, as a comment or something)

Last edited by Aragorn_iz_cool : 02-01-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #9
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by matthew
Speaking of omissions, is anyone other than me ready to sue pj over the disappearance of the scouring of the shire? I loved the movie, but the omission bothered me. if its not in the EE i will be realy mad!
There is actually a thread about that somewhere. A lot of people were choked.

I wasn't amazingly upset over this omission, and they did include part of the story-telling theme at the end of TTT. Now I can't remember what Sam said, but I think it was along the lines of that theme.

Dúnedain, I'm almost done re-reading the series too, and I also noticed a lot of lines. I do appreciate everthing from the book that they included. Sometimes, we don't notice this in the movie because they were so natural and well-done. We do notice out of place lines or stunts because they shock and grab out attention.

I do appreciate all the book lines. I think Nine Fingered Frodo would have been a good addition to the book line line-up.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 01-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #10
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
It's not in my sig anymore and I'm not sayin you should stop be angery or discussing the movie I'm jsut saying give PJ a little break after all : "If the movie had been more like the book the nwe would have been happier yes, but would we have liked it better?"

I was rather peeved about the scouring and Nine Fingered Frodo, but what got me was Merry and Pip were more or less the same size they always were. And no one even mentioned they would be remembered as the tallest hobbits ever in the Shire.

Please don't be angery about what I said above.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:27 AM   #11
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Perhaps we are to negative sometimes Fim. The fact that the movies are worth nitpicking is a credit to Jackson. I also did enjoy them very much. It's just that there are things from the book that would have been done well had they appeared in the movie, and I would have liked to see more. This is also a credit to Jackson.
Quote:
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Nariel
Elven Warrior

Location: In the custody of the Knights who say "Ni!" They want a shrubbery.
and kids, why didn't they say anything about merry and pip being bigger?

Because they didn't mention Merry and Pip drinking the entjuice, that's why.

And there wouldn't have been any point in mentioning that Merry and pip were bigger, had longer hair and hairier feet, if the viewer didn't know why that was.

But the fact that they left Saruman so open-ended was disturbing to me.

Marketing Supervisor and Everything Girl for Entmoot's "Lord of the Rings"

Avatar Courtesy of "Ye Olde Avatare Shoppe"

Sounds like a job for... UBERGEEK!" (special thanks to Finrod Felagund!)

I try to make everyone's day a bit more surreal.

Funny Error Messages...
"Cannot find REALITY.SYS...Universe Halted."

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."

"Bad Command or File Name. Good try, though."

"WARNING: Keyboard Not Attached. Press F10 to Continue."

"I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your pleased too no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew."
-Janet Minor

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
Nariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:14 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Nariel
and kids, why didn't they say anything about merry and pip being bigger?

Because they didn't mention Merry and Pip drinking the entjuice, that's why.
Actually they did in the Two Towers Extended Edition...

It is weird though, cuz in some scenes they are bigger than the others and in others they are the same height...

--Linaewen
Old 01-09-2004, 01:25 PM   #14
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Re: Why is there no mention of...

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
In the movie, why is there no reference to "Nine Fingered Frodo"? I always liked that little conversation in the book and such about how Frodo would be remembered. Anybody else disapointed about this?

I have a feeling that there will at least be some mention of this in the rumored 5 hour EE DVD.
Yep. It's a pity they didn't included that line. BTW, did any of you notice if Frodo had really 9 or 10 fingers in the last scenes? When he's writing the book it seems he has them all...

Another thing I missed was a refference to Gollum's role after he's done his great jump. I think Frodo had said something before, as in the book, but I would have liked to see him or Gandalf explaining at the end since it's one of the most important points of the book.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
AH...but that should be in my blooper thread. I don't know perhaps your right Nariel it would have been nice to see it but confusing to all the dumb little people who are to stuborn to read the books. Please ignore the dumb part I'm in a slightly bad mood. It happens when people who have not read the books try to explain things to you when you know you are right because you have just read that particular chapter in the book. *continues ranting* Ah, Nurvingiel yo udo have to be rasonible don't you? Thank you for not getting angery though I jsut felt the need to defend some of the better made decions by PJ.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:42 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Re: Why is there no mention of...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat middle
Yep. It's a pity they didn't included that line. BTW, did any of you notice if Frodo had really 9 or 10 fingers in the last scenes? When he's writing the book it seems he has them all...
I looked for it and he only had 9 fingers at the end...

--Linaewen
Old 01-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #17
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Okey, thanks.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #18
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Dúnedain is right. When Frodo is finishing his portion of Bilbo's book, he's missing a most of his left index finger.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:50 AM   #19
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
Well if you watch the movies and then read the books right after again you really catch a lot of lines that they did use and didn't even know. I started to re-read the whole series again right after I watched all of the movies when RotK came out and I have realized that they put a ton of lines into the movie that I didn't even remember were from the book. Granted this one wasn't in it, but they did a good job with a lot of other things as far as book lines go
Wow it's great - the "writers" figured out how to cut and paste. Too bad they couldn't cut and paste the heart and soul of Lord of the Rings. Too bad a more accomplished director who didn't just drop plot lines from the story after having them started (Saruman, Pippin and Merry growing) didn't do Lord of the Rings. The movies have so much to be desired - especially when you view them back to back.

And yes - I missed nine fihngered Frodo - not to mention the fact that not even his WHOLE finger was bitten off. How many people only wear their rings up to the first knuckle?

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #20
squinteyedsoutherner
Elven Warrior

Quote:
not to mention the fact that not even his WHOLE finger was bitten off. How many people only wear their rings up to the first knuckle?
true,

but then movie Sauron doesn't even have a hand.
squinteyedsoutherner is offline   Reply With Quote