Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-07-2002, 03:44 PM   #1
Elfstone.
Hobbit

Strider Anyone else shead a tear?

So it seemed at the end of the books three, when Samwise said those heartbreaking words,

He drew in a deep breath, "well I'm back," he said.

A single tear ran down my cheek at that first moment I read that and I swear it chokes me up everytime I read it.

*sniff* *sniff*

Just thought i'd ask anyone else like that?

Also on another note how do you think emotions will hold up in the RotK(3rd movie) when it ends in the theatres?

Elfstone.
"Now in the very hour of his great designs the heir of Isildur and the Sword are revealed; for I showed the blade re-forged to him. He is not so mighty yet that he is above fear; nay, doubt ever gnaws him."

- When Aragorn son of Arathorn looks Sauron straight in the eyes and Sauron cowers.

Anduril flaming in my right hand.
The Palantir's blue eminating glow in my left hand.
3500 Year's of Kingly Numenorean bloodline flowing through my veins.
Who's your Tyler Durden, now?

Christ Reigns.

Romans 10:9
Ephesians 6
Psalm 91

Last edited by Elfstone. : 01-07-2002 at 03:45 PM.
Elfstone. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 03:58 PM   #2
Reverie
Enting

Chills definitely....goosebumps thinking about all that those three words encompassed...
Old 01-07-2002, 04:16 PM   #3
aldesign
Elven Warrior

Gimli

i was close to tears when Boromir died

his last valiant fighting efforts defending Merry & Pippen were excellent. And made him a great man and hero in Striders' and my view.

The film was excellent at encaptulating this moment, all in slow mo, and when the final arrow hit, u could see the tears in the hobbits eyes, as they drew their swords and charged in anger.

*sob* Moving

Thorin King Under the Moutain, Son of Tharin, Son of Thror
aka
aldesign
aka
andy
aldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2002, 06:46 PM   #4
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

I always cry when Borimor dies, and most of the time when Theoden dies.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:33 PM   #5
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

When Aragorn, Gimli, and Legolas are putting Boromir to rest and at the very very end I cry. Well, I don't know if I cry, but my heart falls to my stomach, my eyes well up just a little, and I start not breathing. (I call it the sadpartsofthelordoftheringsomacitis)
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 12:25 AM   #6
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I don't cry when Boromir dies, because at least he goes out fighting . . . but I always cry when Sam thinks Frodo is dead (after he's been stung by Shelob) and then he's lost in Mordor by himself and sinking into despair and contemplating suicide and saying things like 'Don't go where I can't follow!' *sniffle*
And then I cry when Frodo can't walk anymore and he starts crawling up Mount Doom. And in the movie when Gandalf 'dies' and they're all crying and there's that really sad song playing.
And of course, at the end.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 06:37 PM   #7
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I can relate, of course. I cried in The Hobbit when Bilbo was hungry. Food is after all very tasty.
Old 01-08-2002, 06:59 PM   #8
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

LOL. Yes, food often does have a pleasing taste. Poor Bilbo, the dwarves ate all his seedcake!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:34 PM   #9
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

I always sob at the end
"Well, I'm home"
*sob sob sob*
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 03:47 AM   #10
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

Strider

heh. silly me, I cried when Sam thinks Frodo is dead at Shelobs lair. I just thought it was so incredible that someone like Sam had the strength to do that, and everything, and he thinks he's lost Frodo, and. . .anyway. I almost cried at the end of Return of the King--I probably will at the movie! LotR is also recorded as the only book to have made me cry!!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:22 PM   #11
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

THIS POST GIVES AWAY THE END OF THE BOOK!!!

I also get a little misty when Sam returns home at the end. I have heard that the movie doesn't cover the return to the Shire, I guess we'll all be spared this scene, as well as having to watch Frodo become ill every March 13th; and I don't even want to THINK about having to watch the scene when Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond depart the Grey Havens, after having said goodbye to Sam, Merry and Pippen.

IMHO, the most moving scene in the film was the death scene of Boromir. In second place comes Sam and Frodo's interaction as they take off together in the final scene. IMHO, Boromir's scene could not have been done better, even if it had included the lament sung by Strider, Gimli, and Legolas. There was nothing fancy about it, just GREAT acting and terrific scriptwriting. I've seen it twice and got teary both times. And I'm prepared to get teary again when I see it tomorrow night.
I was concerned that the relationship between Frodo and Samwise would be corrupted--either made to be too shallow or too fawning, but they did a great job there, too. Messers Astin and Wood are just terrific.
And I ALMOST cried when the cave troll died, only because he reminded me a little of King Kong or Mighty Joe Young. Well, maybe not.
ragamuffin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 04:30 PM   #12
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

sniffle sob sniff *wipes nose on sleeve*
Well I always cry when Sam goes off into Mordor on his own and then when he relises that his master is still alive. I once cryed when Frodo is found again by Sam - I was so happy! I find the end rather emotionaly draining rather than sad. Life goes on and there is nothing the Hobbits can do to stop it no matter how hard they try.
sniff
A tearful Play Girl

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 07:01 PM   #13
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I cry my eyes out when Sam finally realizes that Mr Frodo is leaving Middle Earth and that he wont be seeing him again for awhile, but then I REALLY cry when I realize this is the last time that Merry and Pippin will be seeing him and he them. It's making ME cry even now. But you should have seen my little borthers face when I read him the part where Sam thinks Frodo is dead.
His face fell like three feet and he whispered"What?Frodo dies?"
And if I'm being REALLY emotional I cry when Sam thinks Frodo is dead and is laying him to rest. And when he kisses Frodo brow before putting his head on the ground is just almost too much for me. And my heart almost breaks when Frodo starts to CRAWL up the mountain. I keep on saying to myself"if Elijah Wood does such a good job in ROTK at being really weakend and hurt as he did in FOTR then you're going to be drowing the audience"
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2002, 07:07 PM   #14
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

Maybe we should start a group called "The Fellowship of the Blubberers." uhhh, I mean
Old 01-11-2002, 10:20 PM   #15
Laifalasiel
Sapling

I was in tears during Theoden's death in ROTK, and when Sam Discovers Frodo is still alive in TT. As for the movie, Boromirs death really touched me like I didn't expect it to. I was frozen to my seat, clad in a hobbit costume trying so hard to keep from crying. It didn't work too well.
Laifalasiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 11:53 AM   #16
Nenya
Hobbit

Personally, I usually cry all the way through the Grey Havens chapter. There are bits all the way through that make me cry. Last night, I finished LotR again for the 22nd time, and was busy cryiing my eyes out when my fiance turned up to take me out. he thought it was hilarious, but then again, he refers to LOtR as "that fantasy **** you read". Oh well...I guess I'm not going to get my LotR theme wedding!
Nenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:05 PM   #17
KGamgee
Elven Warrior

Umm... I cry at the end of the book, when Sam thinks Frodos dead, when Sam finds out Frodo's NOT dead (happy tears) and about 50 other times.
If you start Fellowship of the Blubberers, let me know
~KGamgee~
KGamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #18
EdBlackadder
Hobbit

Re: THIS POST GIVES AWAY THE END OF THE BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin92
I also get a little misty when Sam returns home at the end. I have heard that the movie doesn't cover the return to the Shire, I guess we'll all be spared this scene, as well as having to watch Frodo become ill every March 13th; and I don't even want to THINK about having to watch the scene when Frodo, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel, and Elrond depart the Grey Havens, after having said goodbye to Sam, Merry and Pippen.

IMHO, the most moving scene in the film was the death scene of Boromir. In second place comes Sam and Frodo's interaction as they take off together in the final scene. IMHO, Boromir's scene could not have been done better, even if it had included the lament sung by Strider, Gimli, and Legolas. There was nothing fancy about it, just GREAT acting and terrific scriptwriting. I've seen it twice and got teary both times. And I'm prepared to get teary again when I see it tomorrow night.
I was concerned that the relationship between Frodo and Samwise would be corrupted--either made to be too shallow or too fawning, but they did a great job there, too. Messers Astin and Wood are just terrific.
And I ALMOST cried when the cave troll died, only because he reminded me a little of King Kong or Mighty Joe Young. Well, maybe not.
I'll cry if they cut out this!
Old 01-12-2002, 07:37 PM   #19
ragamuffin92
Elven Warrior

And I'll cry if they leave it in!!
Old 01-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #20
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Yeah...
There are soo many sad parts!

*Where Gandalf falls into Moria
*Where Boromir Dies
*Where Frodo is stung
*Where, on Mount Doom, Frodo and Sam hold hands and just lie down together and wait for death to come to them.
*Where the Ringbearers leave for the Havens

And many more!

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote