Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-25-2001, 01:54 PM   #1
Eruve

Moria Balrog

Was it under Sauron's influence or a free agent? What evidence is there either way? Personally, I'm not sure Sauron was exercizing any direct influence on the Balrog in Moria, but this is just a feeling I have. If anyone wants to present some evidence either way, I'm interested in seeing it.
Old 01-25-2001, 02:31 PM   #2
X Rogue

Re: Moria Balrog

I don't really have any direct evidence, but will offer an opinion. I tend to think that Sauron would not be able to exercise any direct control over the Balrog because A.) the Balrog would have spent too long as a free agent and would not willingly have given Sauron allegiance even though Sauron was the only remaining one of Morgoth's lieutenants. B.) Because to begin with, Sauron and the Balrogs were Maiar, of equivalent status and strength although with different talents and abilities originally. Sauron had let a great part of his strength go into the Ring, and probably would not wish to risk expending the energy necessary to dominate the Balrog's will. Sauron would probably have realized the truth of the statement,"The enemy of my enemy is my friend.", knowing that the Balrog, while not under his own direct control, would at least do damage to anyone on the good side who came across its' path. Besides, there exists the possibility that Sauron wasn't aware of the Balrog's existence in Moria, and in order to dominate it, he would have had to go there personally. This would not have been a long trip from Dol Guldur, but it still carries a risk of personal danger in fighting the Balrog to gain its' submission or allegiance, besides the risk of discovery by the White council, Lorien, or others. Just too big a risk for too little payoff all around.
Old 01-25-2001, 11:24 PM   #3
Fat middle

i used to believe that the Moria Balrog was somehow autonomous from Sauron, but there was one thing for which i couldn't find a satisfactory response: what did the Moria Balrog do all day? was he sleeping all day? was he sleeping since he doomed old Durin?

i mean, if he's a powerful maia i don't think he'd be satisfied napping all day and having dirty orcs for all company... he would have seek for more power... perhaps he would have tried to conquest some realms... or even to try to get some rings of power.

why didn't he do anything of this? for e there's only one solution: when Morgoth "made" the Balrogs, he tempt them promising a great power if they follow him, but when he gave them the Valaraukar form he chained them to his own will (like the Nazgul to Sauron). they lost their autonomous will. it was very easy for Sauron to have them in his forces.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:56 AM   #4
Lief Erikson

That may be true, but he chained them to his will, not to anyone else's. When he lost them, I suspect that they probably reverted back to how they'd been before he'd taken control of them. They didn't become strong dopes who did whatever anyone with power told them to. I think he had a will of his own. Although I have no idea what he was doing in Moria all that time, I don't think he was under the command of Sauron. Besides, if he was, why would Sauron waste one of his top agents by leaving him positioned in an out of the way mountain?
Old 01-26-2001, 01:08 AM   #5
Grand Admiral Reese

I basically think that it was working for Sauron, but as a being of similar power, it wasn't controlled by him. More of a subordinate than a slave.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:23 AM   #6
Lief Erikson

That still doesn't entirely answer my question as to why he'd be positioned there. Even if he was just a subordinate, since he has probably has power equal or greater than that of a Ringwraith, it would seem like a better position could certainly be found. They wouldn't order a balrog to control Mordor's mithril production.
Old 02-03-2001, 02:38 AM   #7
Spock1

Do? Do? why do things left undisturbed have to DO anything?

....namless things far below the deepest delvings of the Dwarves.....even Sauron knows them not.....They are older than he....... G. in TTT

Which explains alot of your original question.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:20 AM   #8
Michael Martinez

I don't think the Balrog was working for Sauron, but it was probably in some sort of uneasy alliance with him. As Maiar went in the Third Age, Sauron and the Balrog were in the distinct minority. Making a big play for power was not the way to go.

As Sauron was taking the long, slow, subtle approach, so maybe the Balrog was, too.
Old 02-06-2001, 07:51 PM   #9
Lief Erikson

That might be it. I personally kind of doubt it, but it could be. I think the Balrog was probably off by itself, but your theory is certainly possible too.
Old 02-07-2001, 02:10 PM   #10
Eruve

Thanks for your opinions. I always assumed the Balrog was more or less a free agent, although (obviously) evil. Then someone mentioned on another thread it was in league with Sauron, so I wondered what the evidence was.
Old 02-09-2001, 07:14 PM   #11
Lief Erikson

Well, there certainly are many opinions in this matter, it's very controversial.