Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2003, 11:06 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Has anyone here served in the armed forces?

Has anyone here served in the armed forces?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
Baby-K
Corruptor

Nope, but my dad was a police officer during the protests etc in SA, when the old regime was still in power.

I remember many times that we would go to bed at night after kissing him goodnight and when we woke in the morning he was gone - off to fight in someone else's damned 'war', either on the streets of SOWETO, Alexandra, Khyalitsha or other townships in SA. Or Zambia, Angola, Zimbabwe (then called Rhodesia) or Namibia (the former South West Africa). He would then be gone for about 3 - 4 months at a time, with the occasional letter from him being the only contact we had. Those letters used to be censored too - names of places etc scratched out in case they were intercepted.

During the unrest of the 80's we used to have a lot of 'terrorism' being comitted by the ANC youth league etc. It was bloody scary stuff, 'cos we'd have black outs etc.

I remember a particular incident when my dad was working in Alexandra - he was in charge of the guys on one of the Caspers (old 'armoured' trucks - they were used to transport troups etc. and the old ones had a tarp - like cloth as a roof; the new ones are proper steel enforced vehicles). Anyway, as they were driving through the streets of Alex their Casper was petrol bombed & burst into flames. Because my dad was in charge he made sure that all his guys got out safely before he got out & when he finally managed to get out some so-called freedom fighter smashed a brick in his face.

We didn't know what had happened, the only message that we got was that he'd been hurt & when you're 8 years old that's just about the scariest thing to hear - that Daddy's hurt & no-one knows what happened to him.

*ugh, don't know what made me go on like that - severe over-share*

Guess I just wanted to say that war etc sucks

Oh - my dad made it ok, he's happily retired now.

Last edited by Baby-K : 03-28-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:29 PM   #3
Elven Archer
Elven Warrior

Well I haven't served,I'm too young,but my dad was in the Air Force. He got out just before or right after my mom and him got married. My uncle was in the Air Force till about 5 years ago. He finished college about a year ago.One of my 2nd cousins is in the Air Force I think. Both my grandfather's were in the Army. One of my brother's friend is in the Marines. He has a 4 or 8 minute life span doing what he's doing.I'm not sure what my other grandpa did but my papaw was in WW2. here's a war story if anybody wants to read it.

Him and his buddy made a pact that if one of 'em got injured real bad that the other one would put him out of misery. Well my papaw's friend's leg got blown off or something. He was in the hospital tent ready to be worked on or just after when my papaw came up to him, put his gun to him and said something like "I know if I was hurt this bad you'd do the same for me……"
NO NO NO NO!!! I'll be okay! I can manage without a leg! Don't shoot me Keller!" or something like that. It's a lot funnier if you knew how ornery my papaw was and if you heard one of my aunts tell it.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:16 PM   #4
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I haven't, but my father did and fought in Vietnam.
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Wow, where are the GI's? I was talking to my mom about wars today. My father fought in New Guinea during WWll (he said the natives treated him like a "God" the whole time he was there, because they had never seen a blue-eyed blond before!), two years in Korea when I was a baby, and in Saigon as office support during Vietnam. I asked her how she managed in the fifties when she knew he was involved in daily combat as platoon leader in Korea. She said it didn't seem so bad back then, because there wasn't so much publicity and pictures "in your face" every day. She worried, but knew he was doing his best, and left it at that. Some of the pictures they are running in the papers this time out are getting to me! Today, a half page pix of a GI breaking down in tears after saying goodby to his family. I wish the journalist had just let that pass. Sigh...
Old 03-28-2003, 07:17 PM   #6
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

Taking a picture of a person in tears is, in my opinion, an invasion of privacy. It's a moment that ought not be intruded upon.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:36 PM   #7
Draken
Elf Lord

Not personally, though as I researched air-launched weapons for 8 years I got to know quite a few people in thr RAF. Was quite cool, they equated our MOD grades to military ranks, I spent most of my time equivalent to a lieutenant and could use the Officers' Mess!

My dad did his national service in the RAF and got to hang around lovely old planes (well they weren't old then) like Vampires, Beverleys, Valettas, Varsities, etc)

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:26 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
Taking a picture of a person in tears is, in my opinion, an invasion of privacy. It's a moment that ought not be intruded upon.
I agree completely. What an ***hole.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:33 PM   #9
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Yeesh no! why the hell would I want to spend x amount of years sharing a room with other guys, just to have the possibility of being shot as a career move?

I appreciate the job that the armed forces guys and girls do.......but I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would commit a good portion of their lives living under someone else's command ..... what a waste.

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:14 AM   #10
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I have a cousin in the Army, but he's a little crazy so I hope not all the people in the Army are like him.
My sister's good friend's boyfriend is an Army Ranger I think. He's really nice. And my older cousin is a retired Army Colonel.

I'm a little young to join the Armed Forces.

Last edited by Elvellyn : 03-29-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Elvellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 01:33 AM   #11
wahine
The Original Amazonian Coconut

My Grandfather fought at Iwo Jima, and I think...and I'm not for sure, it could be a great aunt, but I think one of my grandmothers was a WAVE.