Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-18-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Two Towers: spot the deleted scene

I noticed that there was a lot of stuff in the trailer attached to the end of Fellowship back in March that didn't make it this far. Either that, or I have a terrible recollection of what I saw last night.

Gandalf's line to Aragorn, "Sauron is not so mighty yet that he is above fear. He fears you; he fears what you may become" is not there. Maybe this is being left until the next film, but if it isn't, I don't see where it could possibly be - I don't recall that Gandalf and Aragorn were ever together at Helm's Deep at all, as Gandalf parts with him much earlier.

Saruman's line: "So Gandalf Greyhame thinks he has found the lost king of Gondor. It matters not; the world of men shall fall" is not in the film. As above, except I don't think Saruman's in a comfortable position to sit around and think so comfortably anymore, now that his place is underwater.

Gandalf's other onscreen line there, "There is a union now between the Two Towers..." is gone completely, and I can't think of where it could possibly fit into the film even if it were there, because Gandalf and Aragorn are never even at Helm's Deep together until the end of the movie, when Saruman has been defeated and that statement is perhaps a bit irrelevant.

Anybody else notice this sort of thing? It would be easy to pass these off as deleted scenes that are long gone, since this was a March trailer after all, but what is curious is that I have no idea where they would be even if they were in the movie.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2002, 07:56 PM   #2
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Mainly because you are wrong about the first and third lines you comment on - they ARE in the film

But you are, I think, right about the second one - don't recall hearing it.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:59 PM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Okay, I am definitely going to look for those lines when I see the film again... I don't recall catching them at all. But maybe it was because I'd been up and about for nigh on fourteen hours.

How about from the last trailer: Arwen running up the stairs - "You have the gift of foresight; tell me what you have seen!" Not there either.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:58 AM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I don't remember any of those lines, either. I would guess that they will be in the Extended Edition.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 08:25 AM   #5
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Nope don't recall the Arwen line - well remembered.
As for the two I say are in, I think they are voice-overs nearish the start (which could mean anything with a 3 hour running time...).
Old 12-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #6
Beleg Strongbow
Truest of Friends

Location: Pennsylvania, but I have a vacation home in the Westfarthing.
I agree. Many scenes from trailers seem to have just disappeared! I would estimate that there could be up to an hour of deleted footage. Hopefully we'll get to see it later.

I saw a picture of Merry and Pippin entering the store-room in Isengard; there wasn't anything like that.

Aure Entuleva!

John Kerry for President!
Beleg Strongbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 11:07 AM   #7
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

In the book Gandalf rode to the rescue with Erkenbrand and arrived just after the huorns. Remember the company riding through the huorn forest afterwards and Gimli freaking out because Legolas was going to head back into the forest? Just on their way to Isengard and to confront Saruman.

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2002, 05:19 PM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Whatever picture you saw of Merry and Pippin from the "Flotsam and Jetsam" chapter is probably present in the film, meaning The Return of the King...

Anyway, I did see the film a second time last night, and I was right the first time - none of those scenes are in.

That's not the only point I'm trying to make, though. I'm saying that the trailer bits with Gandalf talking to Aragorn don't fit anywhere in the continuity of the finished film.

Gerbil, they are not voice-overs. Saruman has a similar line about "the union of the Two Towers" but it's not nearly the same thing, and there isn't any reference to Aragorn's destiny to take up the throne of Gondor at all.

Old 12-19-2002, 07:20 PM   #9
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
I think its going to be in the extended edition.

But one reviewer said that we were going to see Pippin look into the palatir (dunno how to spell it) but he didnt...
Old 12-19-2002, 07:38 PM   #10
Gerbil
Elf Lord

For the people going on about Pippin and Merry at Isengard:

The aftermath of Isengard hasn't happened yet! It'll be in the RotK film if anything, so you'll have to wait a year.

And those lines:

Bugger me, I reckon I'm getting the trailer and the film confused! That'll teach me to see FotR the day before! Sowwy!
Old 12-20-2002, 01:48 AM   #11
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Quote:
"I think its going to be in the extended edition."
Yes, but where? Regarding the Gandalf lines in the first TTT teaser, since he doesn't appear anywhere between leaving Edoras and arriving at the very end of the film, there's no way he's in a position to talk to Aragorn where he is.

Old 12-25-2002, 12:26 AM   #12
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Here's something that I found on theonering.net that might be of interest: http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1040672176. Some of this stuff should appear on TTT Extended Edition DVD.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote