Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-27-2002, 09:25 PM   #1
katya
Elven Maiden

Russian Literature

I always thought there should be a thread like this and never found one, so I decided to create one myself. I read a lot of Russian literature myself, (and I am just now finishing Crime and Punishment by the way) and I wanted to know what others have read and thought about various authors and books. I have read Anna Karenina, and some other short stories by Tolstoy, and also from Pushkin, and Dr. Zhivago, and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, and I'll say Crime and Punishment too because as I said I am almost done, and also The Gambler.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 01:31 PM   #2
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

you are far ahead of me. I haven't read much russian lit, but The Idiot is next on my list, if I ever find the time.
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 04:29 PM   #3
katya
Elven Maiden

i thought about reading that too. Ans by the way I finished Crime and Punishment last night. I even had a dream about it. Actually I had one when I first started it too.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:10 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

katya, what's your top recommendation? I'd like to try some. And have you read The Brothers Karamawhatever? I heard that was good.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2002, 05:02 PM   #5
katya
Elven Maiden

I think I know what you mean but I haven't read it. I would highly reccomend Crime and Punishment. It's very good, I think. Or maybe if you wanted to read something shorter...um...the three books I read by tolstoy are very good. There are three short stories called "Where love is, there God is also", "The Three Hermits" and "What Men Live For" but I don't know it really depends on what kind of books you like.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:29 AM   #6
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Nice to see another fan of Russian Lit.! I also enjoy it and my favorite is Fyodor Doestyevsky (tough spelling )

I've read War and Peace, Brothers Karamazov and Crime and Punishment. The latter was completely AWESOME! Another good book is the Gulag Archipelego. I haven't read it yet but it is supposed to be the greatest work of non-fiction this century.

where are you from Katya?

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!

Last edited by Pippin Skywalker : 10-30-2002 at 02:32 AM.
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2002, 08:25 AM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

Hello Pippin Skywalker, glad to see another fan. I am from Michigan. I haven't read the Gulag Archipelego. I think I have it though. I can't find it at the moment. Oh the books you've read, what do you think I should read next? (since I am done with Crime and Punishment and have nothing to read) Oh and did you like War and Peace? I have been meaning to read it but haven't yet. Is it worth seeking out an unabridged version?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:21 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

thx for the recommendations, katya

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 01:49 AM   #9
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

Katya: War and Peace is good. I reccomend you read the Brothers Karamazov which is arguably the greatest novel ever written. It is an important one to read for sure! Some other Russian Novels which are on my list to read are Dead Souls and Fathers and Sons. Also The Idiot (by Dostoevsky) is another classic. But read Karamazov first! That is THE most important to read.

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 05:11 PM   #10
katya
Elven Maiden

Ok thank you Pippin Skywalker. I think they have that in my library.

edit: I just got it out today and read the first chapter. it seems good. thanks again for the suggestion.

Last edited by katya : 11-01-2002 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:42 AM   #11
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Quote:
Originally posted by crickhollow
you are far ahead of me. I haven't read much russian lit, but The Idiot is next on my list, if I ever find the time.
UK-based fans of Dostoyevsky may be interested to know there is a radio adaptation of the Idiot playing on Radio 4 at the moment (Sunday afternoons). Others might be able to tune in on the internet (www.bbc.co.uk/radio4).

I love Solzhenitsyn; one of the most influential authors of the 20th century. I've not read Gulag Archipelago, but Cancer Ward is a masterpiece, as is Ivan Denisovich. The former has this great anecdote, told by an Uzbeki muslim, of how Allah handed out lifespans (paraphrased):

Allah gives each animal 50 years, but when it's Man's turn, he has only 25 years left. Man, of course, is rather miffed and complains loudly. Allah says there's nothing he can do, but maybe some of the other animals will give him some of their years.

So, Man goes off to see the Horse and says "Hey, Horse, Allah only gave me 25 years to live and it's not enough. Give me some of your years." Horse agrees to give Man 25 of his years; man now has 50 years to live.

However, it's not enough, so he goes and sees the Dog. "Hey, Dog, Allah didn't give me enough years to live. Give me some of your years." Dog also agrees to donate 25 of his years.

Man now has 75 years, but it's still not enough, so the whole scenario is repeated with the Monkey. Finally satisfied with 100 years, Man returns to tell Allah.

Allah says "Fine. Your first 25 years you will live like a Man. The second 25, you'll work like a Horse. The third 25 you'll yap like a Dog. And the last 25, people will laugh at you the way they laugh at a Monkey."
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 04:47 PM   #12
katya
Elven Maiden

thats pretty funny.

my mom is reading crime and punishment now. now i can talk to her about it. it's really interesting because she has a different translation and so we trade sentences sometimes and decide which we like better. mine is way better but the print is rather small. i wish i could read stuff in russian...
Old 12-12-2002, 11:00 AM   #13
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I managed to get through crime and punishment once but it was hard going because I had so much on my mind at the time. I think I might try and get into it again but work pressures just leave me with no time to really get into a book these days- usually I just grab LOTR off the shelves these days- I've read it so many times its no effort to understand the plot etc. Mx
Old 12-12-2002, 11:36 AM   #14
bean-my-baby
Sapling

greeetings, my first post. I absolutely love russian literature, i have studied the period of 1855-81 in particular in detail, i much recommend Fathers and Children by Turgenev to you if you have not already read it. I am about to pick up Master and Margharita by Bulgakov, anyone know if it is worth reading?
bean-my-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:11 AM   #15
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by bean-my-baby
greeetings, my first post. I absolutely love russian literature, i have studied the period of 1855-81 in particular in detail, i much recommend Fathers and Children by Turgenev to you if you have not already read it. I am about to pick up Master and Margharita by Bulgakov, anyone know if it is worth reading?
Shame we can't count old Mr Figes work in this thread- great writer and russian based. Maybe we should set up our own thread Bean-my-baby, but then again we'd be the only two on there most probably. *lol* Mx
Old 12-13-2002, 05:36 AM   #16
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Did anyone see the recent adaptation of Dr Zhivago? What did you think of it?
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:15 AM   #17
bean-my-baby
Sapling

ahh yess miranda, big fan of mr figes, which of his works have you read? i strongly recommend natasha's dance...
bean-my-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 10:18 AM   #18
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by bean-my-baby
ahh yess miranda, big fan of mr figes, which of his works have you read? i strongly recommend natasha's dance...
Peoples Tragedy as far as it goes! Not had time for much else! Mx
Old 12-16-2002, 09:09 PM   #19
katya
Elven Maiden

i am rereading anna karenina now. its so weird because my relationship with this guy started out so much like kitty and levins (if you have read it...) see he asked me out once and i said no because i didnt love him then later he asked me out again and i said yes. only now see i feel a little more like anna and that's bad. because i am married to karenin instead of levin and i am still in love with vronsky (who i didnt like in the book by the way) who was the one i refused levin for at first. confusing, no? most people would be like, huh? but maybe some of you know what i mean?