Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-02-2001, 03:47 PM   #1
Bantan
Hobbit

Location: lower Texas (a desolate wasteland called the Valley)
are comic books considered "general literature?

are comic books(i.e. spider-man ,x-men) considered "general literature" or must i search for another forum close enough to a comics forum to shed my views on the extremely light reading material?

"The walls have ears...Ican hear them listening"
Bantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 05:54 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

I'm really not sure if this should go in here or in the Entertainment Forum
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 07:08 PM   #3
anduin
Entwife

That is a good question. I guess since it is already here and you realize that it is "extremely light reading material", then it can stay in this forum. And if it drives people batty (you never know about these things) we can move it then.
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:02 PM   #4
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

Comic books can be literature! BECAUSE I SAY SO AND I LIKE COMICS.

That, and some of the longer ones are considered 'graphic novels.'
Old 12-05-2001, 12:06 AM   #5
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Ah Anduin! "extremely light reading material" indeed! Piffle I say to you! <giggle> It depends entirely on the "comic books". Most people say "comic books" even when the title "graphic novel" is more appropriate. I think that's because the term "graphic novel" sound so dang silly! But Art Spiegelman's "Maus, a Survivor's Tale" certainly can hold it's own against the other books in this forum.
Quote:
The story of a Jewish survivor of Hitler's Europe, and of his son, a cartoonist who tries to come to terms with his father, his father's terrifying story, and History itself.
There is nothing light about "Maus" despite the fact that the Germans are cats and the Jews are mice. If you all (can ya tell I live in Kentucky!) havn't read this series I highly recomend it.

Then there are the twisted and fabulous works of Pirana Press. two of my favorites being "Gregory" and the amazingly sick and twisted "Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children".

Also of note, the equally twisted Sandman comics. For example, "A Game of You" A creepy and poignant story combining sometimes horrible images with absolutely amazing artwork.

And speaking of artwork, even the more mundane stories of the Marvel series have gorgeous artwork, and stories frought with good vs evil.

I think comic books have a bad rap in this country. Many people put them down as being for simple people because the story comes with pictures. But some comic books are like watching a beautifly filmed movie. And even the more simple ones are worthy of respect. I think anything that gets our kids to read is a great thing. And just because I'm not a kid doesn't mean I don't find some fascinating "graphic novels" out there!

Speaking of which, if you are looking for adventure, try to find a copy of "Cerebus, the AArdvark". Now there's a comic book even Tolkien himself could have enjoyed!

PS: I know what Anduin's been reading lately! (neener-neener) I close my case!

This post property of Entmoot.

Last edited by Bregalad : 12-05-2001 at 12:07 AM.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2001, 11:03 PM   #6
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

'A Game of You' gave me nightmares....Neil Gaiman is twisted in the most fun ways, eh?

The 'extremely light reading material' types are the superhero c-r-a-p that should have been ended long ago, like Batman and the X-Men. I'm not saying that they aren't good, just that they can't go on forever.

Granted, I like Spawn...=)

There's a local band here that has a song in which they yell out over and over 'Marvel comics are retarded!'

...I thought it was funny...
Old 01-18-2002, 11:18 AM   #7
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

i like to see a thread about comics! I'm into manga myself...."Clover" for one, it's really weird though. CLAMP fans, anyone?
Old 01-26-2002, 08:16 PM   #8
Anthy Rose
Sapling

CLAMP fans? ::raises hand:: That would be me. I really liked X and Rayearth. I'd really like to read RG Vega and Angelic Layer, but with the comics only avaible in Japanese, that won't be happening anytime soon.
Anthy Rose is offline   Reply With Quote