Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2002, 09:10 PM   #1
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Saruman At Scouring of the Shire! Confirmed!

In an Interview with a German Magazine, Orlando Bloom answered a contoversial question that Tolkien Purists debate over, Sarumans Death.

Quote:
BRAVO: You also play in the two sequals. Can you tell us anything?
Orli : In part two I hunt orcs together with Gimli and Aragorn. In part 3 the Hobbits turn back, and find that Saruman has taken over power in their land (and I did a VERY crappy translation on that one)
Please let this be!
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 09:42 PM   #2
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
that is FAVOURITE part of thebooks!
i hope so!
best news of any sort ive heard since friday ( i was in a bad car accident)

thank you for brightening my day!
Old 02-17-2002, 10:21 PM   #3
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Oh heck, I hope it's true i hopeit'strueihopeit'strue . . . I was really unhappy about the fact that they were supposedly going to cut the Scouring, so this is REALLY great news!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 10:35 PM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

For someone who spent an hour of sleep in the office, that certainly is a rousing story. Hrum Hoom! I feel less Treeish already. HRUUM HOOOOM!

'wonder how they'll finally do away with Curunir/Saruman in the film?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-17-2002 at 10:37 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:05 PM   #5
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I am happy now. I am glad that they decided to do that part. It shows the strength of the hobbits. They are weak, comic relief to begin with in the first movie. The Scouring really shows how much the hobbits have been changed by the journey.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:27 PM   #6
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Oh thank goodness. Someone here before the movie said that he was going to be impaled on a spike or something like that...maybe that will still be...but at least the Scouring will be there!YES!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:34 PM   #7
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I never really liked the Scouring that much, it's really an anticlimax. But it's better than Saruman dying on a spike! Plus we get to see the Shire again, yay!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #8
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

happy news to find that the scouring of the shire remains, however it does indeed look dubious whether saruman will be alive to return to the shire as "sharky."

i think they'll have him die in TT and the hobbits will return to the shire to mend the damage while saruman remains a shish-kebab

that's my theory now anyway...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:06 AM   #9
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Good. I hope his doesn't get impailed like those pictures show...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 12:08 AM   #10
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by FrodoFriend
I never really liked the Scouring that much, it's really an anticlimax.
The anticlimax of the end was the purpose. I read something about that topic once... I am to tired to think of why.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 01:44 AM   #11
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

there's nothing saying that the wheel thing isn't one of his additions to the Shire.... sure it would look right in the Shire but... isn't that the point of Saruman's takeover?

what I'm saying is that it could've been there all along and we just misinterpreted it

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:54 AM   #12
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

yippee!!!

Thank goody goodness!!! This was a great part of the book!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 03:51 AM   #13
coolismo
Enting

a scan of the article...
http://nsyncwebguide.com/legolas/pictures/bravo2.jpg
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:53 AM   #14
Nibs
Head Hollara

That seems to conflict with the other interview with Ian where he says Christopher is impaled... but that's assuming that both of them were true...

I'd really like to see the Scouring of the Shire in the third film, though. I agree with Twilight... it really shows how much those hobbits grew from when they first left their homes (figuratively, of course)... However, I think PJ will do great with it either way. I was surprised at how well the first one came out, aside from the minor changes that may well work for its benefit... (after all, New Line did this as an investment... not for us fans )

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 02:46 PM   #15
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

I am so glad that they have decided to keep the scouring of the shire in the film. It is a great ending, or well almost ending to the book. First time I read it I was like ok the ring is destroyed now end the book already but when I re-read it I understood how it stood for that although the four hobbits had achieve so much all they had really achieved in Hobbiton was keeping it the same and that was what mattered even though no one else really seemed to understand or care that much about what had happened to them. Also a nice tie in to Frodo leaving.
Had the same effect on me as the ending of Lord of the Flies. If you haven't read that book yet go and read it now!
Rant over
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 03:10 PM   #16
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

This is my own speculation, but it seems clear that Sarumans death in Hobbiton is caused by him falling on the Mill, instead of his violent and more gruesome death by having his throat slashed by Grima. Looking back on that interview though, why did Orlando Bloom even mention the Scouring? It had no relevance to his question.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 05:01 PM   #17
coolismo
Enting

why would a mill wheel in hobbiton have a spike though, (I mean what are they grinding there ...the missing entwives?) wouldn't a spike wheel be more in line with orthanc and that gear they have for wrecking the trees?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:09 PM   #18
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Ah the sig has prevailed

Old 02-18-2002, 05:27 PM   #19
coolismo
Enting

The schedule would surely be that the live action for TT has been completed by one filming unit whilst the cgi and effects will lag by a few months. Therefore McKellen is alluding to the live shots he has been involved in with Chris Lee and the effects are being added around now. My bet is that Gandalf and Saruman have some sort of rematch of the bust up at orhanc and Saruman falls from the tower onto a spikey wheel used for rending trees. There are loads of wheels in FOTR. McKellen is alluding to this I think and it would fit with what we've seen so far in Fellowship. C'mon do we reallythink PJ is going to give us an extended lyrical coda to the whole trilogy where the second string baddy has to be dealt with AFTER mr big has been taken down. Did oddjob get creamed after bond had blown up scaranmanga?
Old 02-18-2002, 05:41 PM   #20
Tanoliel
Eccentric Chocolate Crow

I really do hope they do the scouring...and I think they will. PJ is doing a great job staying true to the books considering what happens to so many book-movies...(but don't get me started on the gift scene, that's another story)...although I'm guessing they will have it be very action-y and suspenseful-y, since that's just the way they've been going. And I agree--dear Pip and Merry grow up so much, this really is their turn to show it...(growing in more ways than one, of course....
-tanoliel

Food Of The Gods:
3,7-dihydro-3,7-dimethyl-1H-purine-2,6-dione

Feed Me....

Another Online Dwelling Place...

"All right, I confess. It is my intention to comandeer a ship, pick up a crew in Tortuga, to rape, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out." -Captain Jack Sparrow

"The trouble with unknown enemies is that they are so difficult to identify." -Amelia Peabody Emerson

"Most people obey the orders of someone who is pointing a gun at their head." -A.P. Emerson

Tanoliel is offline   Reply With Quote