Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-20-2002, 04:15 AM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Scenes that should not be left out of the Two Towers

There are some scenes that must be in the Two Towers. I'll kick it off ny talking about my favourite one. After running accross Rohan, Legolas, Gimli, and Aragorn come to a ruined Isenguard. At the gates, they meet Merry and Pippin 'standing guard' - smoking good Hobbit weed, eating food, and relaxing. This part should not be left out, because it is really funny.

Your thoughts and other suggestions?
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

the real time storming of isengard by the ents (hey its not in the book but it will be cool to see it)

also i think its very important to the films they include the ent draughs
Old 09-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #3
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

I agree with you sween, they cannot leave out the ent draughts. they cannot leave out shelob either. that would be horrific!!!
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

The Entmoot of course!

I would also like to see the Glittering Caves. I'd like to know how they picture it. From Gimli's description it should be maaagnificent.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:51 PM   #5
Sween
im quite stupid

Quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Undomial
I agree with you sween, they cannot leave out the ent draughts. they cannot leave out shelob either. that would be horrific!!!
they are just postponing shelob dont worry my friend we will get to see her sooner or later
Old 09-20-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I agree with what everyone else has said. I also think that Gimli and Legolas counting how many orcs they killed should be in, as should Pippin looking in the Palantir and Sarumans voice affecting those listening (when Gandalf and others are parleying with him at Isengard).
Old 09-20-2002, 09:49 PM   #7
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

If they cut Frodo hanging "blinded" from the cliff or Sam forgetting the rope, I'll be furious. I don't want them to cut ANY scenes. But that one's my current favorite.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Nurvingiel, I love that 'standing guard' part, too! And when the men of Rohan say that they must be old friends, the way that they're insulting each other.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 05:52 AM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I hope that part at the cross-roads, where Frodo sees the flowers hugging the fallen king's head in the dying light and says "Look Sam! The King has got a crown again!" gets in there. It's a beautiful, dramatic moment that will be needed to uplift the spirit abit before it plunges headlong into the demented horror of Imlad Morgul, which I am sure Peter Jackson will take advantage of. It will be most unfortunate if this little, but important scene, does not make the cut.
Old 09-21-2002, 11:40 PM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Another funny part is when Sam dunks his head into a bowl of water at the cave with Faramir. I hope they also show the men of Gondor looking west before they eat.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:43 AM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
I had forgotten about that part after the first time I read the books, and it made me laugh aloud the second part. That'd be a great light hearted moment to put in this otherwise dark movie.

Stupid 90 second rule...
Old 09-22-2002, 01:43 PM   #12
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

1.) Legolas & Gimli's contest.

2.) Gollum's screeching, hysterical fit when they put the rope on his ankle.

3.) The faces in the Dead Marshes.

4.) The whole rabbit/coney episode between Sam and Gollum.

I'll probably think of more later.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 09-22-2002 at 01:47 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:26 PM   #13
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Ah, and that scene where after Sam blurt's out "the Enemy's Ring" Faramir asks them what are they going to do when suddenly Frodo sways as he stands and Faramir catches him and puts him into bed. I should like to see that.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #14
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Yes, yes, the Herbs and Rabbit Stew chapter! Probably my second favorite chapter in the whole trilogy (the first being "The Choices of Master Samwise").

They can't leave the whole 'taters, eh, precious, what's taters'...'Po-ta-toes" exchange out of that scene though.
Old 09-24-2002, 05:10 PM   #15
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

So many wonderful scenes... so little time.

I absolutely love all the scenes everyone's mentioned so far! Now I can understand PJ's dilemma.
I realized there were two things left out of the first movie that are important in the second and third movies. First, lembas. Unless I'm insane (possible) I'm really sure I didn't see a single cake of lembas. Frodo and Sam really depend on it in Mordor. It's all Merry and Pippin have to eat when they first escape from the Orcs. Also, Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn never would have been able to run accross Rohan without it.
Second, the flying mounts of the Nazgul. In the first book, Legolas shot one right before the battle at Amon Hen. (With his brand-new bow from Lorien, also ommitted.) I wonder how he's going to introduce these mounts without confusing everyone? They can't be left out altogether, they're so cool!

I can't wait until December 18th! How many days!?

(Of course, I don't want my mid-terms to come any faster...)
Old 09-24-2002, 05:19 PM   #16
Ms. Undomial
Custous Sanctus

if you want to know than go to:

http://click.tolkienworld.com/

it tell you how many days, hours, and minutes that are left.
Ms. Undomial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:36 AM   #17
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
If you really want to know what PJ has in store for LOTR see my post called "PJ's LOTR story line"
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 09:30 PM   #18
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

Scenes

Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli waiting in the grass for the Rohirrim. They hail them when they are almost past and the riders wheel round to surround them.

Ugluk force-marching the northerners.

Frodo coming face-to-face with the Witch-king in Morgul Vale.

No fears of any of those being chopped, methinks.

How about Gimli squaring up to Eomer over Galadriel? That would pose some continuity issues...

D.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 02:47 PM   #19
Goldberry1
Elven Warrior

If Legolas and Gimli's contest was left out of The Two Towers i would be really mad!
Goldberry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 03:33 AM   #20
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Welcome to the moot Goldberry!

~~~~~

Reply to Dunadan:

I couldn't think why Gimli squaring up to Eomer over Galadrial would pose a continuity issue (because that's exactly what he did in the book) but then I realized that whole bit was left out of the first movie!

They left out how Legolas and Gimli became best friends in Lothlorien. (The Fellowship actually spent about a month there.)

They left out how Gimli requested three strands of Galadrial's hair as his gift.

What they could do to smooth over this error in the Two Towers is to have Gimli have this attitude adjustment as he, Aragorn, and Legolas run accross Rohan. Then when they meet Eomer and company, the altercation would make sense.

It would suck if this aspect of Gimli's character was deleted altogether, because I think it's a really interesting part of him.

So far, in the movie, he seems like a gruff, semi-awkward guy with a weird accent - way different than how I pictured him from the book!

(Of course, the accent makes sense, because as Sam said, "That Dwarf language must be a real jaw cracker!")