Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2002, 04:54 PM   #1
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Wow...I actually finished it!!!

After many many months of picking up the Silmarillion, putting it down, taking it back to the library, checking it out again, I FINALLY finished it! And it was SO GOOD! It's my favorite book of all time now. It was so sad, hopeful, joyful...everything all at once. It only strengthened my belief that Tolkien is the genius of the millenium!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Congrats, Renille!

It actually took me years to really enjoy the Sil, although I used it for reference and sources. Still like LotR best as a book, though. But the Sil is also terrific!

(Sister Golden Hair; don´t trash it! )
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 07:36 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kirinki54

(Sister Golden Hair; don´t trash it! )
Oh Kirinki, you know that I could never do that. It is just that the HoMe and all the different versions can be frustrating. I won't trash it. I promise It's my very favorite.

Renille, now you know what all the fuss is about.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 02:13 AM   #4
X^X
Sapling

Yes. I agree, the Silmarillion is my favorite as well. The way that Tolkien constucted his world is really in all it's full glory in this compilation of odd and ends, in my opinion anyway. He created a world, then populated it, then gave the critters cultures and such, then made some tales that transpire within that world. Ah, it is truely a great work in my eyes, surpassing in depth even the LOTR itself! Nothing can compare uless you dig out some Viking sagas or even some classical greek neato myths and things! It's the good stuff.

If somebody out there hasnt read it, I hightly recommend it, that is if you have a hankerin' for all things Middle-Earthish.

BTW, nice board all!
X^X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 04:24 PM   #5
Thorongil
Hobbit

yeah I agree, though I still get Bogged down in the first couple of chapters, As soon as Aule creates the Dwarves I cant put it down. and don't you DARE talk to me while I'm reading Beren and Luthien, Coz I'll get all sulky and might cry
Thorongil men called him in Gondor,the Eagle of the star, for he waskeen eyed, and wore a silver star upon his cloak, but none knew his true name nor in what land he was born.He came to Ecthelion from Rohan, where he had served King Thengel, but he was not one of the Rohirrim. He was a great leader of men, by land or sea,but departed into the shadows whence he came, before the days of Ecthelion were ended.
Thorongil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:43 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I agree. The Silmarillion is a work of unbelievable depth, incredible detail, and it is so very sad. Seems to be so few parts that are uplifting, unlike Lord of the Rings. The tale of Turgon Turambar rips me heart out, and I almost wail at the fall of mighty Gondolin and the ruin of Nargothrond. A masterwork beyond comparison.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 07:50 PM   #7
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Dagnabit, Correction: TURIN Turambar. Shows I had Gondolin on the brain...next thing I know I'll be calling Ancalagon the Black "Angbad"...

Well, I WAS wondering what I was gonna read after re-reading Lord of the Rings again...guess this little slip made up my mind for me...
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-07-2002, 11:02 AM   #8
Reverie
Enting

I'm half way thru the Sil...I started it yesterday I read pretty fast in general and I just couldn't put it down! I love tragedy and prolly would've started it sooner if I'd known how truly heartbreaking it is. Pretty sick, eh?
Old 01-08-2002, 10:56 PM   #9
Gandalf the White
Sapling

Yeah, I read the Silmarillion in my first sitting - its absoloutely amazing. Such depth, such history, stories, its just got everything ... I loved it!

I found that reading the Lord of the Rings after reading the Silmarillion was good as well since it added a lot of depth to it for me - you knew the history of things and understood the meanings of a lot more statements and events!

I am currently reading through HoME, which is pretty decent also. Unfinished Tales was good too.

Tolkein was truly a genius - what a world he thought of!
"Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends ..."
Gandalf the White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
X^X
Sapling

Ah yes... It is good to see others share the opinion that you have! You know, the Sil really is very tragic, and very realistic in many a way.
Ive read The Hobbit about 5 times now, the LOTR 2 times, and I am working on the Sil for my second go round as I speak. This time I read The Hobbit (just two days ago, and that is all it really took as well) and now Im doing the Sil, then maybe unfinished tales, then Morgoth's Ring, and then perhaps LOTR again after all of that! I guess I'm hoping to "understand" Tolkien's world this time rather than just read a good story, you know what I mean? I mean, I'm no Tolkien scholar at all, nor would I claim to be, but man, it is just great stuff!
What do You All think?
Old 01-08-2002, 11:42 PM   #11
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Ive read The Hobbit about 5 times now, the LOTR 2 times, and I am working on the Sil for my second go round as I speak.

Amazing...You can speak,type,and read at the same time!
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 01:45 AM   #12
X^X
Sapling

erm,
Eh, it was just a figure of speech. NOw a figure of speech so to speak may well be just a sort of non-literal sort of comparison as it, where, to your surprise, I'm sure, does not mean that literally, I am doing the very thing that I say at the exact moment as such. Often times when grownups say things it is a gesting and/or figurative manner as the give the listener a general idea of what he/she is/was/maybe/hasbeen doing as such in recent ammounts of nondescript time, not unmeasured, mind you, if you have one, and or not to totally dissuade nor completely frazzle the idea of complete and utter literalsy as such, in such short incements of time, and/or, possibly longer intervals as yet unknown to the reader/listener. First, take part A and insert it into part B with screw J, then insert part C to part D and use screw J as well, or was that screw G? NOw... oops I got the topppppic. Take cable F1 and cross it over cable S45, now take, DOH! Uh, Pi R^2 is the area of...
oh nevermind, I'll never expain this properly, confound it!

All in good fun
Old 01-09-2002, 12:23 PM   #13
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

X^X, although my eyes sorta glazed over at your last post, welcome to the Moot! And what is this bit about "grownups" and "gesting", or "mind you, if you have one"....???

By the way, we all have minds here, my friend, that is, with the exception of the "Doctor of English", the linguistically-challenged "Gollum"! And if you were referring to either gandalf the grey or carden, I can attest BOTH have rather well-developed minds.

All the best, and enjoy the Moot, X^X!
Old 01-09-2002, 03:45 PM   #14
X^X
Sapling

Lol!
Now, I must say. Again. all in good fun ole chap. Don't get mad, for I was not insulting you nor any of your peers at this nice board in any way whatsoever. Only gesting as such, in return to your gesting, that is all. No way would I say that anyone here has no mind, or is not intelligent at all, again a gest, one of them there figures of speech, a doohickey, a verbal doodle, nothing more. It is obvious to me that you all are quite the contrary to unintelligent indeed! So cheer up! I seek your opinions and advisory on things that I dont grasp about Middle-Earth, or other affiliated readings, or choices in reading, or other stuff. I will never be vehement toward any of you's in any way whatsoever, EVER. It is much easier to be mean, athouritative, and insulting, than it is to be easy going as it is human nature to display stature and athourity. So, what is your favor-i-te Tolkien writing, or is there one that I should read that I may find what I mentioned in the second to last post, that I am ignorant of?

Your humble guest,
X^X
Old 01-09-2002, 06:21 PM   #15
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Well-spoken, X^X, and no offense taken!
Old 01-09-2002, 06:28 PM   #16
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

X^X, I think The Silmarillion is a good read, and an excellent source to "fill in the gaps", although in other posts I have kind of hinted it may not be absolutely authoritative, as it was edited by Christopher Tolkien, and not "Ronald", as J.R.R. called himself. I just think that since it did not get the grace of Ronald's editing and re-editing, then re-editing, then re-editing, it may not be the nicely tied-up package that LotR is. However, like the argument left us as to whether Tom Bombadil or Treebeard/Fangorn is the "Eldest in Middle-Earth", LotR STILL has a couple of inconsistencies, which I feel were probably left in by Ronald to see if we are paying attention. And we are, O Master!

By the way, my good hobbit, you ain't a guest, you earned your feet-hair, you's family now! At least in the big happy occasionally scrappy family of the Entmoot...
Old 01-09-2002, 09:00 PM   #17
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Just wondering, bropous, what on earth does your new title stand for?Call me stupid, but it makes no sense to me.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 09:30 PM   #18
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quote:
Originally posted by Renille
Just wondering, bropous, what on earth does your new title stand for?Call me stupid, but it makes no sense to me.
I love the new title bropous!!!! Read this http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=2740 to find out what it is all about!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:41 PM   #19
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

LOL! we should give Gollum his own title,I guess we would need an administrator.....
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2002, 10:44 PM   #20
X^X
Sapling

Hey, sorry for the confusion. I dont speak as clearly as I should i recken, but it is my way, If you grasp what I am a-say'in to ya. I dont write "straight" unless I am angry or in another "serious" mood. So if you are confused by my words, it is safe to say that I am surely not flaming anyone or being an ass of any kind. Honest.

This read of the Sil, am finding such great symbolisms and doo dads for life and love, being human. I havent payed much attention to the inconsistencies as such in my past readings of LOTR, I admit, and I probably will find them in the next read since you all have brought them to my attention. I am very excited at seeing what my perception of the trilogy will be after the reading of the Sil just before I start it. Ittle probably seem a new world to me! Have you read Morgoth's Ring? I have read snippets and tidbits, but not much to speak of. The same goes for Unfinished Tails as well. Are one or both of those full of "myths" and origins as well. I understand thay MR was edited and assembled by The Master's son, but his mind dreamt the stuff up so I am a happy camper with that.

Later:
I Come In Peace