Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-05-2001, 11:55 AM   #1
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

The Two Trees

Why couldn't Yavanna make two more trees after the first trees were destroyed? She wanted the light in the Silmarils to save them, but where did that light come from to begin with?
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2001, 01:15 PM   #2
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

She said that there were certain things someone could only do once.(ie Feanor making the Silmarils.)
Old 10-05-2001, 01:46 PM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Finmandos12
She said that there were certain things someone could only do once.(ie Feanor making the Silmarils.)
Yes,and the Teleri said that about their ships when Feanor wanted them, but why could they only be made once? I can see this only happening once with the Silmarils. They entailed taking something from something else to complete their creation and beauty, such as the light of the Trees. Plus they were made by an Elf, not a Vala. Why couldn't Yavanna do it again?
Old 10-05-2001, 06:56 PM   #4
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

That was a reason in itself. She simply could not, it was something she could only accomplish once. Ever read or seen a bad sequel?
Old 10-05-2001, 11:48 PM   #5
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I think creating things is probably much more intuitive and improvisational for the Valar. Their creations are not so much planned as inspired. Therefore, recreating the Two Trees would be practically impossible. It's like accidentally deleting an essay you're writing for school and having to rewrite it. Sure, the second essay might be okay, but it will never be the same, no matter how hard you work on it.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2001, 02:02 AM   #6
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

It could turn out better. You never know.
Old 10-06-2001, 11:21 AM   #7
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Maybe they would be better, or maybe not. Still, Yavanna clearly says,
Quote:
Even for those who are mightiest under Iluvatar there is some work that they may accomplish once, and once only. The Light of the Trees I brought into being, and within Ea I can do so never again.
I don't think this means that she couldn't create new Trees. But if she recreated them, they would be different, for better or worse. Really, whether they had two Trees or a sun or a moon didn't matter, it was the nostalgic value that counted. That's my opinion, anyway.

dreamflower
Old 10-06-2001, 03:07 PM   #8
Selwythe
Elven Warrior

In my opinion. she was unable to create new trees also because she was overcome with sadness and grief. When she planted the trees, it was when all was fair. After they were gone, she could not concentrate on her song without being distracted by the past majesty of the Two Trees.

Here, let's say you built the WTC single-handedly. It gets destroyed in an hour. Will you rebuild it just like that?

Very bad example, but you get my point.
Old 10-06-2001, 05:10 PM   #9
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

galadriel, making, makings, remaking are the terms we should use. The Valar could not create.
Old 10-06-2001, 08:36 PM   #10
galadriel
Elven Warrior

Ok, ok, ok, you're right, Inoldonil. But you know what I mean.

Good point about Yavanna's grief. I'm not sure if that's the only reason, but it's certainly a valid one.

dreamflower
Old 10-06-2001, 08:45 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Of course I know what you mean, but it's far more fun to hobble over to you with a hunch in my back, poke you in the ribs with a stick and say 'that's not right! What are you doing?! You had better change that!'
Old 10-07-2001, 02:40 PM   #12
galadriel
Elven Warrior

I know what you mean. I love proofreading my friends' homework, finding a mistake, and bugging them about it. major ego boost

dreamflower
Old 10-07-2001, 08:59 PM   #13
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

They're at least partly works of art and creativity.

I mean, can Leonardo da Vinci paint two Mona Lisas? It just would not be the same.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2001, 09:54 PM   #14
Grendel
Hobbit

Inability of Valar to re-create

The Silmarillion made it quite clear why elves and dwarves could not create certain items again. When Feanor created the silmarils he put a large part of himself in them. The same was true of the boats at the havens. Such items could not be re-made.

The history was more vague for the valar and mayar, but the same reasoning is suggested. When Sauron forged the One Ring, he put a great piece of himself into the ring. When the ring was hacked from his hand and taken away, his spirit was forced to flee the body. He could not make the ring again. I suspect this is why Yavannah could not re-make the trees.

Another reason might be that "the song of creation" was in a certain "verse" when the trees were made. Perhaps there was a limited window of opportunity to make the trees. Once the song moved on, the ability to ever make their like again was gone.

Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2001, 02:31 AM   #15
easterlinge
Elven Warrior

Good point, Grendel. I hadn't taken into account Iluvatar's Theme and the Ainurs' Music. Some creations may not be repeatable after a certain time.
easterlinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 09:27 AM   #16
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Perhaps the required resources were no longer there? Yavanna clearly had spent her recreative powers in this regard, and that might be true also of the primordial raw materials and energies that she used. Whatever these where...
This combined with the fact that the Trees lived on in a sense; with the making of the Sun and the Moon the world had taken a linear step forward and it might not be possible nor desirable to recreate new Trees, according to the themes of the Music.
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2001, 10:17 AM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I thought that the Valar could not create, but she did create the Two Trees. Right?
Old 10-15-2001, 03:51 PM   #18
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
I thought that the Valar could not create, but she did create the Two Trees. Right?
Right, but this is tricky. Some Valar like Aule and Yavanna seemed to create a lot of things, but perhaps the real creation was in the third version of the Music, thus created by Eru and recreated by the Valar.
More views, please!
Old 10-15-2001, 08:27 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Even for those who are mightiest under Iluvatar there is some work that they may accomplish once, and once only. The Light of the Trees I brought into being, and within Ea I can do so never again.
within Ea

I think that each of the valar (and lesser creatures too) had a share of power. They can invest that power however the choose, but they must do so carefully or it will be used up (like what happened to morgoth) When ea is remade, those that served illuvatar will gain that power back in spades.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 04:06 PM   #20
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

within Ea

I think that each of the valar (and lesser creatures too) had a share of power. They can invest that power however the choose, but they must do so carefully or it will be used up (like what happened to morgoth) When ea is remade, those that served illuvatar will gain that power back in spades. [/B][/QUOTE]

Is it prophesized that Ea will be remade after the Last Battle?