Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2000, 08:17 PM   #1
RKittle

The Perfect Storm

I just wanted to give some general impressions of the movie.

First off, it was very good. We liked it a lot and I'd recommend it to anyone.

The Perfect Storm is about a swordboat captain from Gloucester, Mass, who's had a string of bad luck which has usually left his holds and his pockets all but empty. In order to make ends meet and to prove to everyone and himself that he is not washed up, the captain decides to head out to the the Grand Banks for one last fishing run. He gathers a crew and away they go.

What they don't realize is that The Perfect Storm is developing and heading right for them. It is actually three storms converging on one spot in the Atlantic. Where? You guessed it. The Grand Banks.

The movie has an uncomplicated character developement that lets you get to know the main people just well enough to like or dislike them, and then the movie progresses smoothly into the main storyline.

The action is exciting, as are the special effects. The sheer amount of water in the film is nearly overwhelming. George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg are probably still knocking water out of their ears 9 months after production ended. All of the actors spent more time wet than dry in this one.

The portrayal of Coast Guard and Air Force rescue teams is also very interesting. In fact, the Air Force sanctioned this film stating that its portrayal of Pararescue Jumpers (PJs) and rescue techniques was very accurate. If it is, then those guys are nuts!

So with out giving any more of the film away I'll just say "Go watch this one at the theater. Video just won't have the same effect."

ADDITIONAL NOTE:
I just wanted to add this note - This movie is solid entertainment with no overly irritating distractors (except maybe two guys fighting for no apparent reason) IMO. But it isn't going to win any awards.

Until the next good movie (or really bad one) I see,
Old 07-10-2000, 08:31 PM   #2
IronParrot

Re: The Perfect Storm

I thought this film was very average-ish, or perhaps marginally better. As soon as I write a full review of it (I have lots of reviews to catch up on) I'll post it here...
Old 07-11-2000, 01:16 AM   #3
anduin

Has anyone read the book? If the movie is anything like the book, I will be too creeped out to go see it. I am not sure I need to read AND see what it is like to drown.
Old 07-14-2000, 07:50 PM   #4
bmilder

I saw it. It was a good movie. I thought it was odd the way everyone was acting as if they knew it would be their last fishing trip, but other than that it was good.
Old 07-15-2000, 04:42 AM   #5
anduin

But that's just it. In the book they go into great detail how fishermen have a sort of intuition about certain trips that they go out on. I think a lot of the crew of the Andrea Gail had a bad feeling about that trip, but either ignored it or were really in need of the money that it would bring. If you haven't read the book, I suggest that you do. While you're at it, read Into Thin Air. I'm waiting for someone to make a movie based on that book.
Old 07-17-2000, 12:22 AM   #6
Dfsg

Ahh... Yes I saw it 2 days ago. VERY GOOD!!! 2 thumbs up on the Andrew scale. But one thing I must say, THEY WERE ON THE FLEMISH CAP. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Old 07-17-2000, 02:57 PM   #7
RKittle

The Flemish Cap is, indeed, where they ended up. But the Grand Banks was their stated original destination
Old 07-17-2000, 07:43 PM   #8
Dfsg

Re: The perfect storm

No, they went to the flemish cap in the first place to catch more fish. Then they went back to the Grand banks when they hit the storm.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:52 AM   #9
RKittle

No, they went to the Grand Banks and didn't catch much. Then they went to the Flemish Cap. Then they had to go back over the Grand Banks to go home.
Old 07-18-2000, 02:06 AM   #10
IronParrot

RKittle is the winner!
Old 07-18-2000, 03:32 AM   #11
juntel

Is this based on a true story?
Old 07-18-2000, 03:41 AM   #12
anduin

Yes. You should read th......umm, nevermind.
Old 07-18-2000, 03:51 AM   #13
juntel

I could listen to it... it's probably been put on audio format...
Old 07-18-2000, 04:02 AM   #14
anduin

Oooh...that's a good idea.
Old 09-20-2000, 01:30 PM   #15
GlaurungTheGold

I saw it because the next day ILM was giving a talk on the making of it at SIGGRAPH, this computer graphics convention that was in New Orleans over the summer. Anyways, I went ot the theater, and most of it was pretty good, although I was more admiring the CG waves and stuff . Well, right after the part where the sun comes out and they think they're going to make it, the screen suddenly went blank! The sound was still going, but there was no picture, and we could hear all these things happening but not see them and aaaaargh! Well, we're all sort of milling around and a woman comes in and says that the projector bulb is blown and that there's no simple way to replace it so bye-bye! We did get vouchers to see the movie again, but I found out that we had missed the climax and like the last 5 or 10 min of the film... so they want us to sit through the whole thing again just so we can see the little part we missed?
Old 10-24-2000, 01:35 AM   #16
Kworb

I didn't like this movie. It all looked fake, the plot was not exciting, the ending was weird, I expected a lot more. Bad acting, too.
Old 10-25-2000, 03:23 PM   #17
X Rogue

I haven't seen the movie cause I have trouble getting a babysitter but did read the book about two years ago. I liked it alright even though it isn't my usual thing.