Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2003, 02:59 PM   #21
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Feanor Vs Fingolfin

Feanor was mightiest of the sons of Finwe. He was arrogant at times but if he fought Fingolfin I think Feanor would win mainly because when he died Tolkien says “Thus ended the mightiest of the Noldor.” Fingolfin is calmer and not as valiant has Feanor. Feanor is described has mightier in body mind and skill. To conclude I say Feanor would win in a one on one with Finglofin but it would be a fight to remember and probably a close one.

PS: I would like to see gothmog fight glaurung and Turin V Fingolfin, I would like to see how a men fights an elf. I’d put my money on fingolfin but Turin could snatch it, if he wasn’t cursed.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #22
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Two fights that would have been awesome as well would be:

Ecthelion of the Fountain vs. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs

For those that don't know or remember, Ecthelion was a Lord of Gondolin and Warden of the Great Gate, here is a description of him from Unfinished Tales: "All in silver was he clad, and upon his shining helm there was set a spike of steel pointed with a diamond; and as his esquire too his shield it shimmered as if it were bedewed with drops of rain, that were indeed a thousand studs of crystal."

Ecthelion and Gothmog slew each other in their fight.

The other fight is the battle of Glorfindel vs. the Balrog, he was with Tuor & Idril and their young son Eärendil. He allowed them to escape by fighting the Balrog...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 03:37 PM   #23
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Are you nutz mr.manafirogh Turin vs Fingolfin?????????????

Filgolfin would slap him silly.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:40 PM   #24
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

How about Turin vs Aragorn? or Hurin vs Durin (the dwarf)
Old 12-22-2003, 03:57 PM   #25
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

turin vs aragorn

Aragorn with Narsil would at least give Turin a sratch lllllolllll. the turin would cut him to pieces but dont underestamate an underdog. but we can safely say turin would destroy aragorn. lol
Old 12-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #26
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: turin vs aragorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
Aragorn with Narsil would at least give Turin a sratch lllllolllll. the turin would cut him to pieces but dont underestamate an underdog. but we can safely say turin would destroy aragorn. lol
How about those two with their reforged swords? Narsil=Anduril vs Anglachel=Gurthang

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:30 PM   #27
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Manafirogh I think you underestimate Aragorn. No offense to Túrin Turambar, but he was just a regular man, a man of old. Whereas Aragorn was of a richer bloodline, that of Númenor. Granted his bloodline was somewhat diminished, but it was still filled with greatness. Aragorn was referred to as 'the greatest traveller and huntsman in the third age of the world'. No less was he either as a warrior...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 12-22-2003, 04:51 PM   #28
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Without having to go into bloodlines & such... I TOTALLY agree with Dunedain. I mean, maybe Turin was the best the First Age had to offer, as far as a human warrior... but he wouldn't stand much of a CHANCE against Aragorn! Aragorn (muh MA-un!) was tough! I don't think we ever see much of it in LotR - he doesn't get the big one-on-one showdowns with equal opponents. But he woulda taken Turin DOWN!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 05:24 PM   #29
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Without having to go into bloodlines & such... I TOTALLY agree with Dunedain. I mean, maybe Turin was the best the First Age had to offer, as far as a human warrior... but he wouldn't stand much of a CHANCE against Aragorn! Aragorn (muh MA-un!) was tough! I don't think we ever see much of it in LotR - he doesn't get the big one-on-one showdowns with equal opponents. But he woulda taken Turin DOWN
Ha! Aragorn is a great warrior but he hasnt got the stength of Turin. Turin was mighty in structure and the men of the first age are described far more stronger then the men of the third age by tolkien himself. Your forgeting what Turin has done. He killed Glauron althought he was cursed he was still a better warrior then most men in the first age (apart from his father Hurin who was probably one of the strongest warriors ever). Aragorn is my favourite character in lord of the rings but hes no match for Turin. Aragorn wasn't a direct Numenorian just heir of Isuldur and i think we all know that isuldur was so great anyway. In the two towers Tolkien says only the might of Turin could peirce the armour of shelob, i dont see him saying the might of aragorn could peirce the armour of shelob. although i think aragorn would have killed shelob with ease. Turin had the Structure of a Numenorian and scared of nothing. I dont think aragorn could even face Glaurung let alone kill him. Aragorn is a great worrier for the third age but in the first age men were stronger in mind and body.
Old 12-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #30
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

im gonna have to agree with mr.manafirogh Turin was the son of the greatest warrior of men and he himself was counted among the greats. The men of the first age were different in body and mind to the men of the third age. Even though Aragorn was a great warrior Turins strength would crush him.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:23 PM   #31
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Feanor Vs Fingolfin

Anyway back to Feanor Vs Fingolfin. I know it says Fingolfin was stronger in page 60 but feanor was still the greatest of the noldor and he had the raging flame within him. I aint sure but i think he was of higher structure then fingolfin and allways i thinks is described as a better swords men allthough he didnt get the chance to fight much apart from before he died. It would be pretty close.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:58 AM   #32
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Feanor Vs Fingolfin

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
Anyway back to Feanor Vs Fingolfin. I know it says Fingolfin was stronger in page 60 but feanor was still the greatest of the noldor and he had the raging flame within him. I aint sure but i think he was of higher structure then fingolfin and allways i thinks is described as a better swords men allthough he didnt get the chance to fight much apart from before he died. It would be pretty close.
I believe it speaks of Fingolfin having that flame within as well. I will have to find it but it speaks of the rage showing in his eyes as he rides to challenge Morgoth...

Here it is:

Quote:
...He passed overDor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

--Linaewen
Old 12-24-2003, 05:35 AM   #33
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Concerning fiery spirits no one could match Fëanáro. He wore out his mother to the point that she wouldn't live anymore. His body was burned to ashes when he died. Fingolfin wasn't even close.

But whether Fëanáro's spirit would be much of an advantage in a fight with his half-brother, I couldn't say.

Bah. I actually loathe the thought of those two fighting each other.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 AM   #34
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

What about Feanor and Sauron. When sauron has his ring on?
Old 12-24-2003, 11:25 AM   #35
Arien the Maia
Fëanáro's Fire Mistress

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
Concerning fiery spirits no one could match Fëanáro. He wore out his mother to the point that she wouldn't live anymore. His body was burned to ashes when he died. Fingolfin wasn't even close.

But whether Fëanáro's spirit would be much of an advantage in a fight with his half-brother, I couldn't say.

Bah. I actually loathe the thought of those two fighting each other.
we all know that Fëanáro would win!!! I bet he could when against any other Elf too
Arien the Maia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #36
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

I'm inclined to give the edge to Fingolfin. The entire relevant quote seems to give the warrior's edge to Fingolfin and the inventiveness edge to Feanor:
Quote:
Feanor was the mightiest in skill of word and of hand, more learned than his brothers; his spirit burned as a flame. Fingolfin was the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant.
(perhaps a hint of the Boromir/Faramir differences).
Also, Feanor seemed a bit of a doofus in military strategy and tactics. Plus, Fingolfin was far classier. From The complete guide to Middle-earth:
Quote:
Although insulted and attacked by Feanor in Eldamar, Fingolfin remained temperate and forgiving. He joined the revolt of the Noldor at the urging of his sons and to protect his people from the rashness of Feanor"
Do you suppose just before the 1-on-1 Fingolfin might say: "Dad always liked you best!"?

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 12-24-2003 at 03:42 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #37
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Feanor Vs Fingolfin

Everyone has their own opinion. I would be a close fight maybe 50-50. Im talking about feanor Vs fingolfin if your wondering.
Feanor and Sauron with the ring? That would be good. If sauron is not careless he should win but never the less if Feanor cut his hand of the fight would be over right? I think Sauron should win unless Feanor pulled an Isuldur lol! (struck lucky i mean). Or just cut his hand off and the fight would be over.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:56 PM   #38
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Tuor of Gondolin: I'm inclined to give the edge to Fingolfin. The entire relevant quote seems to give the warrior's edge to Fingolfin and the inventiveness edge to Feanor:

Feanor was the mightiest in skill of word and of hand, more learned than his brothers; his spirit burned as a flame. Fingolfin was the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant.
Not having the Silmarillion on hand, I can't provide the exact quotes, however it does say on at least 3 occasions (that I remember) in the text that said something to the effect of: "Feanor was the strongest in mind and body", "the mightiest of all the children of Illuvatar" e.t.c. This contradicts the quote you provided comparing the 3 brothers, which is nothing new in the Silmarillion. Personally I believe the passage you quoted to be from Tolkien's earlier drafts where Feanor was lesser than his later incarnation, the version of Feanor which is more prominent in the Silmarillion (Tolkien changed his mind a lot as I'm sure you know). Of course this is just my oppinion and guesswork.

Quote:
Lord Manafirogh: Feanor and Sauron with the ring? That would be good. If sauron is not careless he should win but never the less if Feanor cut his hand of the fight would be over right? I think Sauron should win unless Feanor pulled an Isuldur lol! (struck lucky i mean). Or just cut his hand off and the fight would be over.
If Gil Galad and Elendil were able to defeat Sauron (even though they died in the process) then I would think that Feanor could have defeated him too, single handedly.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 02:41 PM   #39
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Sauron aint all that and we all know it. I do think thought he could beat any one in signle combat of the third age if he had the ring. He is a maia after all.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:33 PM   #40
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Sauron is just more than a maiar he was given terrible sorcerous powers by Morgoth and was very powerful. He beat Finrod in single combat which takes some doing let me tell you.
Dont underestimate the abhorred.