Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-14-2004, 05:53 PM   #121
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Let me remind you that wasnt single combat. Gothmog hit feanor from behind when he was tired. never the less thats your opinion. so its 2-1 to feanor now.
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #122
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
Let me remind you that wasnt single combat. Gothmog hit feanor from behind when he was tired. never the less thats your opinion. so its 2-1 to feanor now.
Yeah so, Fingolfin got hit by Morgoth a few times and still stood fighting him, not relinquishing for a while until he was crushed...

Again I shall state:

Fingolfin > Feanor

hehe
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 07:38 PM   #123
Thorin II
Elven Warrior

Gothmog would win, I think, but for Tolkien, emotion seems to have a lot to do with this kind of thing. As powerful as Fingolfin was, he was clearly a weakling next to Morgoth. In my eyes, the his rage/righteousness/etc. was the reason he was able to wound Morgoth. My point is that if Feanor was sufficiently enraged, that may give him the edge. All else being equal, I think Gothmog was more powerful.
Old 01-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #124
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

gothmog is not all that. only good fight he had was against Ecthelion and he go killed. shows he werent that great. to me he was a cheat. never fights by himself and one that he did he got killed. He is rubish. Of course he is the most powerful balrog but i still think he is a cheat and feanor would kill him in single combat.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:47 PM   #125
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Gothmog aint all that??????? are you mad!!!!! Your not giving Ecthelion any credit. And nobody was their to see that 1 on 1 so Ecthelion could have done some sneaky things too win and Gothmog still didnt lose it was a draw. they both died.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #126
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

But wasn't Fëanor a greater Elf than Echtelion? If Echtelion managed to kill Gothmog in single-combat (though killed himself) I believe Fëanor could have done better.
Old 01-17-2004, 06:18 PM   #127
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Thats what i think aswell. I think if Gothmog had dueled with Feanor before feanor got tired and fought at least 3 other balrogs then Feanor would undoutfully have won. I get the imprission Gothmog is rubish in single combat.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:15 PM   #128
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Gothmog was powerful, but he didn't seem anything exceptional if one Elf could take him down single-handedly. Granted it would have taken an exceptional Elf to kill him, but those were still plentiful in the First Age.

This brings up another question. How many could actually have done it? Could Beleg? Or one of Feanor's sons? Or Fingolfin's or Finarfin's?

I reread a passage in FotR where Aragorn is bringing the Hobbits to Rivendell and meets up with Glorfindel. I think Glorfindel said something about the Nine together being too powerful for Aragorn and himself to stand against. Which leads me to wonder how many do you think they actually could have stood against? How about Glorfindel alone? Or even Aragorn without the element of surprise and fire?

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 01:29 AM   #129
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

What about Ingwë? I know we don't know much about him, other than him being the High King of all the Elves...

I would assume that he would be pretty damn powerful...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-18-2004, 08:16 AM   #130
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Is that the Glorfindol from the first age who slew a balrog? If it was then i cant really see 9 Ringwraiths being more powerful than a Balrog. If it was the Glorfindol from the 1st age i reckon he would have been able to take the witch-king and four of the others. That leaves 4 for poor old Aragorn. Maybe if he had Anduril and was angry or they had just slain Arwen then he would have been able to do it.
Old 01-18-2004, 02:15 PM   #131
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Gothmog was powerful, but he didn't seem anything exceptional if one Elf could take him down single-handedly. Granted it would have taken an exceptional Elf to kill him, but those were still plentiful in the First Age.
So you would agree that Feanor could kill him in single combat or not?
Old 01-18-2004, 02:47 PM   #132
Falagar

That sounds like a yes to me.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:02 PM   #133
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

I my self im convienced Feanor could beat Gothmog is single combat, even if he is lord of the balrogs. Not many people or balrog could beat Feanor in single combat. Only 1 i can see beating him apart from morgoth is glaurong and maybe a few other i cant think of right now.
Old 01-18-2004, 06:26 PM   #134
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
I my self im convienced Feanor could beat Gothmog is single combat, even if he is lord of the balrogs. Not many people or balrog could beat Feanor in single combat. Only 1 i can see beating him apart from morgoth is glaurong and maybe a few other i cant think of right now.
So basically you are calling Feanor weaker than a man, since Turin defeated Glaurung...

Again, Fingolfin > Feanor

--Linaewen
Old 01-19-2004, 06:24 AM   #135
Falagar

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
So basically you are calling Feanor weaker than a man, since Turin defeated Glaurung...

Again, Fingolfin > Feanor
Túrin cheated. The outcome of Fëanor vs Glaurung would depend on the situation.

Fingolfin < Fëanor
Old 01-19-2004, 01:55 PM   #136
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

oh c,mon now. your taking it too far. Feanor Vs Glaurung. NO WAY!!!!!! im telling you now if anyone says Feanor can beat Glaurung in single combat if Glaurung KNOWS hes there and in front theres seriously something wrong with them. NO ONE - not even Fingolfin could kill him in single combat.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:48 PM   #137
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Turin went from underneath glaurong and when glaurong was asleep. I dont think Feanor could beat glaurong unless he was in the same situation has Turin. Face to face like at the bridge when glaurong first met Turin i dont think Feanor would have much chance. It would take feanor fingolfin and Turin to beat glaurong. Or maybe just Feanor and Fingolfin if they stood apart so glaurong could freeze them both. you know what i mean with the eyes. he has to look at them.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:52 PM   #138
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

This is about Gothmog Vs Feanor
I'd like people to vote on the outcome of that. lets not go jumping subjects just yet.
Old 01-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #139
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Now way. He dont have to freeze them - feanor and fingolfin. If it was the battle on the bridge he would use his flame on 1 then lash his tail on the other. end of.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:36 PM   #140
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Did u see morgoth just swing his hammer once and kill fingolfin? Its not that easy. he was to deal with 2. they not just gonna stand there and do nothing. anyway this is about FEANOR VS GOTHMOG