Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2004, 03:07 PM   #61
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Nah i disagree lol. Moroght was scared of Tulkas. Tulkas made him look like a fool every time. Morgoth was at full power before tulkas wrestled with wasnt he?
Lord Manafirogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 03:13 PM   #62
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

no when tulkas and morgoth wrestled the first time morgoth had already began to lose his powers to evil so there.
Old 01-02-2004, 03:25 PM   #63
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

well i wasnt talking about good Melkor wen he was good. there would be no reason for them to fight i mean after he turned evil.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:11 PM   #64
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Morgoth was always evil.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #65
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

no at the beginig he was good. says he worked for eru.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:15 PM   #66
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

I'm not going to get into the above...

But my favourite one on one would be Carcharoth versus Huan. Wolf against wolf, no real victor, y0! Great battle then.

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:31 PM   #67
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

Carcharoth and Huan 'did' fight...
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:39 PM   #68
Tuor of Gondolin
Elf Lord

Originally posted by Ninquelote
my favourite one on one would be Carcharoth versus Huan. Wolf against wolf, no real victor, y0! Great battle then.

Probably outside this thread's parameters, but in cross-book matches, how about the three-headed Harry Potter dog (Fluffy?) in the first movie, against one of the above? I haven't read the HP books, and have no special interest in doing so, so don't know all that much about the animal's prowess.

Take Back America

Aure entuluva!

Last edited by Tuor of Gondolin : 01-03-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Tuor of Gondolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #69
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Huan Vs Fluffy????

Huan was a hound from valinor and he was mighty. fluffy was a big three headed dog with not much strength. it would a bit difficult but if he bit off one of his heads would he die? even morgoths dog would beat that over grown three headed puppy.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:59 PM   #70
Ninquelote
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Stern
Carcharoth and Huan 'did' fight...
Yeah, I know... but it would be cool if they did it again?

XIAN- for hating Wiccans.
MURDERER- for hating vegetarians.
PREP- for hating Goths.

These are a few of my favourite things, the hypocritical stylings of the most "liberal" groups.
Ninquelote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #71
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

how about Hurin and Turin Vs. Isidur and Aragorn tag team?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:43 PM   #72
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

Troll from lord of the rings Vs. Troll from harry potter??
Old 01-05-2004, 06:33 PM   #73
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Ok next person that mentions Harry Potter compared with Tolkien, may I wish they die a slow long death of gonorrhea and syphilis
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #74
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

Frodo Vs harry potter?

lol that would be fun. my money goes on............... o crap its kind of hard to decide lol. frodo??? lol maybe potter with that dementors spell......
Old 01-07-2004, 09:42 AM   #75
Anglorfin
Alasailon

OK for the sake of this thread not running of topic (and to freshen up the battlefield a little bit) let's toss a Dwarf in there.

We haven't heard much of a Dwarf fighting but I would say that in general Dwarves excel at close combat. How about Dain Ironfoot vs. Aragorn? I forget the exact quote but I think Gandalf said it somewhere about Dain being an unequaled warrior who could still wield an axe at a very late age, and in fact died in battle in his very late years.

Also what about the Balrog slayers? Why not seeing Glorfindel vs. Ecthelion? That would be a fight worth buying tickets for.

Or Beleg vs. Mablung. Another excellent fight though I think Beleg might have the upper hand.

Or MERRY VS. PIPPIN!! C'mon, their skill developement, stature, and experience was almost identical by the end of LotR. It would be an awesome fight!

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #76
Turgon_Turambar
Elven Warrior

Nazgul

If its with weapons then i reckon Aragorn might win but fists the dwarf will knock him silly.

Balrog slayers it has to be Ecthelion. he slayed GOTHMOG lord of the balrogs whilst Glorfindol slayed but a normal one.

Beleg and Mablung. im gonna have to back Beleg as when turin kills him it says something about him being the mightiest of his kind.

and merry vs pippin. i really would have to say merry but thats not a solid back i wouldnt put money on either coz they were so close. Pippin killed a troll. Merry just stabbed the witch king in the leg.

How about this one. Helm Hammerhand Vs Beorn??

That would be so cool. Helm was huge!! so dont think Beorn would just crush him. Helm was compared to a snow troll and with his hammer he would be destructive.
Old 01-07-2004, 03:21 PM   #77
Lord Manafirogh
Elven Warrior

I would like to see Gimli take on Thorin okensheild.
Balin Vs Dain
Beleg Vs Legolas- i'd say beleg wins and teach legolas a thing or two about bows lol.
Aragorn Vs Isuldur-- i'd say aragorn would win. says he was more like elendil then anyother heir and i dont think Isuldur was such a great warrior. Apart from when he took the seeds of the white tree he hasnt impressed me.
That all three same kin fights.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 AM   #78
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Manafirogh
I would like to see Gimli take on Thorin okensheild.
Balin Vs Dain
Beleg Vs Legolas- i'd say beleg wins and teach legolas a thing or two about bows lol.
Aragorn Vs Isuldur-- i'd say aragorn would win. says he was more like elendil then anyother heir and i dont think Isuldur was such a great warrior. Apart from when he took the seeds of the white tree he hasnt impressed me.
That all three same kin fights.
I was tempted to propose a beleg vs. Legolas fight but I knew that it would be a no-contest. Beleg would wipe the floor with Legolas.

Balin and Dain is a good one, but I'd put my money on Dain. They call him Ironfoot, that's gotta count for something.

I also wasn't too impressed by Isildur's skill. He may have been a good general in a pinch but I don't think a kingly life could compare to the life of wandering and border-watching that Aragorn had.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 01-09-2004, 01:47 AM   #79
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Isn't this a SILMARILLION thread. There seems to be a lot of second and third agers being mentioned. ( That ain't too bad as long as there aren't any new agers)

Would like to see the Dwarf Azaghal vs Turin or Beleg.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:00 AM   #80
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Aye, perhaps this should be moved to the Middle Earth forum.

I forget, was Azaghal described as one of the strongest? I know it says he was the greatest and most well-liked dwarf king, and he did injure Glaurung, but other than that we really didn't get to see many in depth accounts of dwarves doing cool things in the first or second ages.