the Shrike

Oh, I'm sorry, I seem to have left a letter off. Let me rephrase that:

Baaaaad
Old 04-23-2003, 06:51 AM   #42
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Did anyone else find it really odd that - given how much of a perfectionist Viggo is - he didn't work on his accent?
What accent? He spoke "American English" with one or two exceptions (the rolled "r" in Mordor). The others spoke normally with the exception of Sam whose accept slipped from time to time. Obviously, the Brits in the cast had their accent (and unlike Sam didn't have to work on it). Those who were not did not appear to make too much of an effort to sound "English". Mortensen might have made a hash of an affected British accent had he attempted one. It's not the same as an affected "burr" (Pippin) or a bit 'o lower class (Sam). Trying to sound "English when one isn't can seriously backfire. Far better for the actor to have spoken naturally than affectedly.
Old 04-23-2003, 01:14 PM   #43
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I think he tried only a little bit. It did backfire a little though. Did you catch his voice at the council when he said "It has no other master"? I think he was trying to sound English but instead he sounded like an American Muppet.
Old 04-23-2003, 08:55 PM   #44
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Maggott
What accent? He spoke "American English" ....
Which was my point, missy. And since I'm from New Zealand, American English is an accent to me.
Old 04-23-2003, 09:05 PM   #45
Mrs. Maggott
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Which was my point, missy. And since I'm from New Zealand, American English is an accent to me.
You misunderstood my point. I meant "accent" with regard to him, not his listeners. If he had attempted to "sound" British, then it would have been an "accent" because it would not have been his normal speech pattern. Of course, Mortensen even has an "accent" in this country to people who are from the South or New England etc. I am reminded of Kevin Kostner's "Robin Hood" where the actor was intelligent enough not to attempt an English accent because he knew it would be a disaster.

I realize that American English (and I'm being kind here) has its own accent - indeed it has many accents. Of course, so do the English. A fellow from Northumberland sounds nothing like a fellow from Nottingham or someone born within the sound of Bow bells. I'm simply glad that Mortensen had the good sense not to attempt an accent especially since his English was fairly standard (that is, he didn't have a southern drawl or a terrible Noo Yawk speech pattern!). Had he attempted to carry any kind of contrived speech pattern out over three films, it would have been more annoying than simply having him sound "natural" even if different from most of the rest of the cast. Although I didn't notice Elijah Woods sounded much like Rex Harrison either.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:37 AM   #46
gandalfstormcrow
Enting

I think everyone was great for their parts. I agree that Saruman should've had more lines, think too many were given to Arwen.

I've heard that "Haldir Lives" is being written on things. I think it's a joke though.
gandalfstormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2003, 03:41 AM   #47
WhackoJacko
Hobbit

lol Haldir Lives !!!

the cast was pathetic, gollum outacted the lot of them....and that tells the whole story!!!

Merry was passable, and the other idiot was having a good time, smiling all the time !! lol
WhackoJacko is offline   Reply With Quote