Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2002, 11:31 PM   #41
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yes, laws are there to make sure rights are protected but they aren't always perfect (all parties are happy) and not always implementable.
Downloading stuff is morally wrong only if you don't have permission of the party you downoad it from. If they post it without New Line's permission, they're the guys with the problem. Illegal, probably. It depends on which country you get them from. Laws will have to adapt with the technology too. That's why they came up with region-locking on DVDs but it was poorly designed and, in fact, doomed to fail earlier than intended.

Also, intellecutal property laws are not implementable in many southeast asian countries. DVD's and cd's with mp3 files are all over the place in shopping malls in Hong Kong and Manila. The cops are in it too. Illegal, yes, implementable, no.

But no one should worry about me making New Line lose money. I already watched FOTR 8 times on the big screen and will buy the originals when they come out.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-10-2002 at 04:25 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 11:35 PM   #42
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
There is a difference from downloading a movie from the internet and taping it from the TV/Cable/Satellite. Most internet movie downloading is done before a movie is available on TV, thus it is pirated. The music I download isn't pirated, but if I were to download FOTR, it would be.
Old 03-09-2002, 11:35 PM   #43
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

CBG and Nolendil ~

I have never copied or downloaded any music or media from the Internet or other sources. I have never been engaged in any illegal activities of any sort. As I said before, I was not serious; it was just idle talk. I'm sorry if that upsets you so much.

CBG, you completely misinterpreted nearly everything I said in that post in which you quoted me 4 times. I didn't think it was fair that you disapproved of me burning the DVD when everyone else was talking about downloading copies and you said nothing about that.

I didn't flame anyone. Sorry if I was not clear in some things I said.

Now leave me alone.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 11:41 PM   #44
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
FF, I wasn't implying that you were flaming or anything, this thread just looks like it's headed that way.

::internet hug::
Old 03-09-2002, 11:56 PM   #45
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

What? Oh, sorry, Starr, I wasn't referring to you. Nolendil said I was flaming a mod or something, and I really wasn't meaning to. That's all I meant.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2002, 12:01 PM   #46
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
I didn't flame anyone. Sorry if I was not clear in some things I said.
Good then, there's no problem. I will, as you requested, leave you alone.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:22 PM   #47
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

well, what do you all suppose i do? delete my copy?

wait better idea.
10 minutes later
i just got done with the alterations on my movie files. n oone can download them from me any longer.
that is one less scource they have.
it's all i can do, what did you expect?
tell me and i'll se if it's worth it
i promise i will really think
Old 03-11-2002, 11:29 PM   #48
Gorhiriel
Elven Warrior

HAH!

15!!!! 15!!! And that, my friends, is nowhere near enough!!

BOROMIR LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"And anon shall I Sail into the West: with the setting sun I shall remove my light from this world..."
Gorhiriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 01:46 AM   #49
Gerbil
Elf Lord

8 times.
8th today.
Was the worst time ever.

You ever get in one of those moods where once one thing annoys you - EVERYTHING ANNOYS YOU? Grrrrrrrr had one of them.

I mean, at 11.15 am on Monday morning about 3 months after the film first came out you'd think I'd have th escreen to myself.
Not so.

This time some old git kept talking - I tihnk it was one of those 'who's he?', 'what happened?' etc. type people. ROAR!

Then a mobile phone went off TWICE during Gandalf's dyingy bit.

The CAR annoyed me in the Shire - Pippin's JOKES annoyed me - once I'd started I just couldn't relax. Grrrrr.

No more times for me. Apart from twice when the TT trailer is added
Old 03-25-2002, 05:39 PM   #50
Brimvalir
Elven Warrior

Nazgul Make it 4 times

Make that 4 times and I say it should have beat out A Beautiful Mind for Best Picture (which I sa only once)

All that is gold does not glitter nor are all those who wander lost......
Brimvalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 12:09 PM   #51
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I've seen it nine times, and probably will see it three more times with the new TT trailer.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2002, 12:25 PM   #52
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually I think it's pretty rotten to download pirated copies of LotR from the Net. Someone is stabbing New Line and every investor involved in the back and stealing directly from someone else's pocket.

The film IS the property of New Line Cinema, and downloading the pirated version (or buys a pirated DVD, for that matter) is tantamount to walking onto their property and stealing your favorite items from wardrobe. Just because it's easy to do or because everyone else is doing it doesn't matter a fig: Theft is theft.

As for the comment that those using VCRs to record material or burning CDs of music they paid for is the same thing, no it is not. this was cleared up in entertainment law in the US probably before some of you folks were born. Cassette tape recorders were the first hurdle, VCRs the next, and it was hammered out between the recording/entertainment industry and the recorder producers that making recordings for your own personal use was a permissable use of the technology. Same for CDs and DVDs.

The problem is when someone profits off those recordings and they did not produce them originally. I understand some people are real comfortable with ripping off corporations who employ other people. To me all one does is cut another person's throat.

I would think that EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO's would have better ethics than that.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 12:38 PM   #53
TomFoolOfATook
Hobbit

Treebeard Have not seen it

I havnt seen the movie yet - fear that it would be such a big letdown compared to the books
Pieces of Eight
Treasure filled with emphtiness
dont let it turn your heart to stone
TomFoolOfATook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 09:28 PM   #54
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I have seen it twice. First time I didn't like it. Second time I saw it to see if I was justified. I was.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:36 PM   #55
Jadera
Elven Warrior

*looks around carefully*

Shhh...I saw it twice on a downloaded copy too....
One of my dad's employee's had it and let us borrow it. At first it wouldn't play, and my mom told us it was God judging us for watching an illegal copy. I said, "So why can't he judge us after we watch it?!" We got it working though.

But I can officially say that I have paid twice to see it in theatres too, (BoP knows ) and I would pay again. Gladly. Even though I make ten dollars a week.

~Chivalry isn't dead, it just transferred to women~
Jadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2002, 06:45 AM   #56
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I seen it twice at the movies and twice by umm, other means which have already been discussed here. It was OK for me the first time, but now I love it.
To Tom: I can't believe you havn't seen it, its not as good as the books but an excellent adaptation. You shouldn't be dissapointed.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:53 PM   #57
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

at the cinema i have seen it 7 times, once with the TT trailer. I am going again tomorrow. Sadly the cinemas are slowly reducing the viewings. I must at least make it up to 9 because then i will have covered the "nine rings for the mortal men"
I have seen it at the cinema more times than anyother person in my school apart from Varda Oloiessio (sp? i can never remeber the second part to her name) who has seen it 7 times withj me. She is also coming tomorrow.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2002, 03:48 PM   #58
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I have now seen LOTR 8 times i went today with my friend (Varda Oloiessio).

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 04:38 PM   #59
Elf Girl
Lurker

I have now seen it twice and am campaigning to go for a third (and probably last ) time. I'm not thirteen, so I have to campaign to get my mom to take me every time.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 02:21 PM   #60
TomFoolOfATook
Hobbit

Treebeard Wow

8 times - wow that must be the moot record Erendil
Pieces of Eight
Treasure filled with emphtiness
dont let it turn your heart to stone
TomFoolOfATook is offline   Reply With Quote