Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Baseball Players + Steroids = Home Run Records

Don't think we've chatted about this one. Recently evidence has come to light which accuses certain ML baseball players of using steroids to enhance their physical abilities. Our local paper (Chicago Tribune) had an interesting article - I think on Feb 29 - which spelled out the numbers... what it typically took to win the Home Run Title each year before 1995 - and what it has taken each year since. Also - the numbers of people who hit over 50 home runs in a year before 1995 compared to after 1995.

It's just astounding... it's certainly no statistical anomoly... the very numbers themselves point to something giving players an advantage... and the likely culprit is steroid-use.

What's totally disappointing to me is MLB's response. Their new 'rules' on steroids allow players to get off the hook, even with multiple positive tests. I'd like to see them take this seriously - and aggressively work to get guys out of the game if they use them. Track athletes get a two-year ban with one positive test - lifetime ban with two positive tests... THAT'S taking it seriously!

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I agree totally.

If you're gona cheat, you shouldn't be in the game.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

That would be great. But in a business where home runs sell millions of tickets they have no real incentive to do anything but just mouth some words but make no action. They know without steroids (and perhaps ball juicing and bat corking?) they wouldnt have nearly as attractive a product. So the hammer will have to come down from a hire source if there is ever anything to be done here. And ultimately its the players union that will have the most at stake in fighting it.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 04:29 PM   #4
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
It's a shame that players feel the need to jeopardize their health in order to make themselves more valuable and viable commodities to the team owners. Everyone involved in MLB is aware of the risks that steriod use poses to individuals. Not only are there nasty side-effects, but the long term effects are devastating. What is also disturbing is the use of "designer" steriods that are difficult or impossible to detect. Serious measures should be taken to end the use of steriods in all sports, but (unfortunately) the bottom line will have to be placed in jeopardy before anyone pays attention.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote