Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-20-2002, 02:40 PM   #21
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

i know what u mean about the gift scene!but that will wait for another thread i`m sure.
am v.happy about scouring being in. i thought it was great to show how merry and pippin and sam and frodo had all "grown up" and in the film it will be chance for pip and merry to show that they weren't just in it for "comic relief" and they were truly great hobbits in more ways than 1.
i hope grima is still the one that kills saruman. it will be a shame if they make ne1 else do it. like frodo for instance. that will just be WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 01:12 AM   #22
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

The presence of the Scouring's been denied so many times by Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh it's not even funny.

I used to be really upset about that, even long before it was a debated issue, but quite frankly, the whole idea of the Scouring of the Shire (much like Tom Bombadil) looks way, way, way better on paper than it would on the screen.

Why? Because the written word has a flexible pace. Film - good film - does not.

Let's say you made a film about World War II. Then you skipped from the defeat of Nazi Germany all the way to the beginning of the Cold War, omitting the Japanese theatre entirely.

It would still be appropriate, because then there's a sense of focus - European affairs.

The Peter Jackson movie also has a focus - the quest to destroy the One Ring and halt Sauron's rise to power.

In the book, the entire concept of corruption is the villain. In the film, the One Ring is the villain. Concepts work better on paper than on

If Star Wars identified the Dark Side of the Force as its major villain, the story would lack focus. Instead, it focuses on the Emperor and, to a certain extent, Darth Vader. Yes, the Dark Side of the Force is the corrupting power, and is still the source of all evil and corruption - but its influence is personified.

The entire point of visualization - as in the art of cinema - is to breathe material life into concepts. Hence, the materialization of good and evil. Hence, the idea of focus.

Let's face it - Lawrence of Arabia didn't chronicle T.E. Lawrence's return to England and struggle with his infamy (i.e. enlisting in the Air Force under a fake name just to hide from the public) between World War I and his death.

Or am I just making a compromise?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote