Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2002, 11:29 AM   #1
Polkat
Enting

Location: yateley which is a small and rather boring town in england!
Gandalf Gil-Galad

I probably do not need to write this on a Silmarillion board but: you guys all know tonnes about Gil-galad right?

Part of my roleplay is dealing with Gil-galad at the moment but unfortunately due to crappy library not stocking the Silmarillion I don't know anything about him except that he was the king of the elves during the last allience and the battle with Sauron and was killed during that battle along with Elendil.

Anything about him would be great, thanks.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:20 PM   #2
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Re: Gil-Galad

Quote:
Originally posted by Polkat
I probably do not need to write this on a Silmarillion board but: you guys all know tonnes about Gil-galad right?

Part of my roleplay is dealing with Gil-galad at the moment but unfortunately due to crappy library not stocking the Silmarillion I don't know anything about him except that he was the king of the elves during the last allience and the battle with Sauron and was killed during that battle along with Elendil.

Anything about him would be great, thanks.
I can tell you a bit about his parentage. In the Silmarillion it states that Gil-galad was the son of Fingon, but in the HoMe that is changed and Gil-galad is now the son of Orodreth and brother of Finduilas.

His name meant "Star of radiance". He was the last High King of the Noldor, after the death of Turgon. In the Second Age, he was King of Lindon. When Sauron arose again after the fall of Numenor, and attacked Gondor, Gilgalad formed the Last Alliance of Men and Elves with Elendil, and they led the army that defeated Sauron in the battle of Dagorlad and besieged the Barad-dur. Gil-galad and Elendil overthrew Sauron, but were killed. Gil-galad was burned to death by Sauron's heat.

Gil-galad's wepon was the famous spear Aeglos. He was the first bearer of Vilya, the greatest of the three Elven Rings.

His birth name was Ereinion

Hope this is helpful.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:51 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

In August of last year Michael Martinez wrote an article on Gil-Galad, click here.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 05-12-2002 at 04:24 PM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 PM   #4
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

hope this is in someway helpful..Tar-Aldarion(6th King of Númenor) journeyed to middle-earth many times and befriended gil-galad as well as CÃ*rdan.. Gil-galad sent a letter by the way of aldarion to Tar-Meneldur, aldarion's father, asking for assistance from the Númenoreans. he said an evil was brooding over middle-earth..aldarion thought it was just evil men, but it was indeed sauron..
sorry i just had to post something on Númenor!!
Old 05-19-2002, 02:15 PM   #5
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider Louisianians stick together!

Numenor and Numenoreans constitute a major interest of mine.
I just noted your reference to Louisiana, Tar-elendil, and I'm happy to say that is my native state. Laissez les bons temps roulez!
Old 05-19-2002, 03:02 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

aye, lets let the good times roll
Old 05-27-2002, 07:35 AM   #7
Faeirex
Hobbit

Location: A place inside my head, where none but myself dare go.
Just a small matter, but was Gil-galad married? Laziness combined with exams forbids me to read the Sil to find out for myself, so I'm wondering if any1 here knows.

~Fae
Am becoming disenchanted with palantir guy. Refuses to send me photo, except of one v. large eyeball. Says he is shy but I rather suspect he is fat, or perhaps hairy. Have heard some v. bad stories about palantir relationships. Should probably cool it for a while.

Well, wouldn't you know, palantir guy turned out to be Dark Lord of Mordor. Just my luck. Could have been worse, I guess. Sauron not far or hairy, just disembodied force of evil. Must go now, have to raise massive demon army to scourge the earth. Also, have manicure appointment. Is no easy task keeping nails pointy.

Am tired of climbing up and down eight million stairs just to taunt Gandalf. Should have imprisoned him in easy-access dungeon where could taunt more effectively, and would not have to wait until after breakfast.

Have crossed orcs with goblin men in caverns below Isengard. V. tedious experience as orcs and goblin men most reluctant to breed, even with dinner and flowers. Next time will try something easier, such as breeding goblins and cheerleaders to create super-perky army that can travel by day and will not complain about pink uniforms.

Did not know when decided to make demon army for Sauron that would be so darn messy. Curse my decision to be Saruman the White. Should have decided to be Saruman the Muddy Brown, or Saruman the Faintly Greenish. White just shows all the slime.
Faeirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 10:37 AM   #8
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Faeirex
Just a small matter, but was Gil-galad married? Laziness combined with exams forbids me to read the Sil to find out for myself, so I'm wondering if any1 here knows.

~Fae
To my knowledge, there is no mention of Gil-galad being married. He was the last High King of the Noldor, so that would mean he had no male heirs to the throne.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote