Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2002, 04:54 PM   #61
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Tom Bombadil

I respect most of what u say about T.B, firstus ravenwood, I'm not sure about Tom and the Bombadilloes though

???

I do recken that Tom Bombadil is quite essential 2 Middle-Earth and the LotR books. I think there is quite possibly a little bit of Tom inside all of us. He's seems really merry and totally carefree, but underneath, he's all knowledgeable, like Treebeard. I suppose Tom Bombadil is 2 the Old Forest as Treebeard is 2 Fangorn Forest.

He can seem wrapped up in his own little forest and his own little world though. He did say, i think, that he didn't venture outside his own forest.

'Ignorant' isn't the rite word 2 use however. He's clearly concerned with what happens around him, but puts a happy face on everthing. When he rescued the hobbits from the Barrow-downs, I believe he was singing? And i don't think he's too scared - he fought off Old Man Willow and the Barrow-Wights!

Perhaps Tom is a kind of human ent. He's an interesting theory:

Tom Bombadil was born an Ent in Fangorn Forest, he roamed the world of Middle-Earth and finally settled in the Old Forest. There he met Goldberry and slowly became humanish. I bet if u asked him nicely he'd speak a bit of Entish.

Basically, Tom Bombadil ROX! So does Tim Benzedrine!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 06:30 PM   #62
Sirithdal
Hobbit

Gandalf Yet another theory

I once saw a documentary about Tolkien's life, and what struck me as a central theme of his life was his love of nature (trees, forests, glens, dales, etc.). He despised what the industrial revolution and land-gobblers and developers were doing to the beloved lands of his boyhood and early manhood. I shouldn't doubt, therefore, that his despair was what inspired him to write The Lord of the Rings, and that Tom, the guardian and caretaker of the pristine lands, represents John himself.
Sirithdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 06:33 PM   #63
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Sam Gamgee

I agree.

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #64
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Tom Bombadil More about the Music

Well, I was thinking some more about the Music of Iluvatar. Music of Creation is really an interesting idea. It's like in The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis, when Aslan walks across the land, singing, and his music creates and awakens life throughout Narnia. I think Tolkien and Lewis must have discussed this idea in depth. It's really a beautiful one, I think.

In the Ainulindale, Iluvatar is first alone, then he starts singing, and slowly the Ainur come in to being with his song. How can music create? Is there power in music alone? Could a piece of music that floated off into the void, if left to itself, possibly take shape and physical form, and eventually become a sentient being? This is all speculation, of course.

There is an old theological idea in several cultures that God created the world first in spirit, sort of like a blueprint, and then followed up this creation with the physical creation, but each part of the earth (water, rocks, animals, plants) has a spirit and a life beyond mere molecules and atoms. Could Tolkien be referring to this when he has the Valar first sing of Middle-Earth, and see it take form before their eyes, but when they actually arrive there, they realize that what they saw was only a blueprint, and that they must now create it in actuality?

Why is there music in the water? Is it because music is fluid, like water, and can bend and flow with time, spawning new beauty and variation with each repetition? Is it the power of creativity, the human trait that most sets us apart from animals? What is intelligence and creativity? Where does it come from? Is it possible that we existed as spirits, as sparks of intelligence, before we were physically born?

These are only questions to ponder. I think that Tolkien thought deeply about these things. I suppose some of my thought comes from recently watching I, Robot, and thinking, "Where does creativity come from?" If life creates music, can music create life?

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:16 PM   #65
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

This is a wonderful thread, truly one of the best I've read in all my time here (most of which has been spent in reading rather than posting, obviously).

It seems to me there are really two simultaneous discussions going on here, closely but not necessarily linked. The first is, "Who (or what) is Tom B.?" The second is, "Why?"

I like the hypothesis in the opening post. It's as good as any of the many others I've considered or read. I also like the answers folks have given as to "why" (the Prof's & all of yours, too).

Definitive answers may ultimately be impossible so all thoughtful conjecture is valid if for nothing more than to open our minds and hearts and keep us thinking.

Last edited by Jon S. : 09-11-2005 at 10:18 PM.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #66
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

Elanor, I just have to say that was a beautiful post you just wrote there, absolutely beautiful. That is a great question to ponder, "If life creates music, can music create life?". All day long, I've been despairing and sad thinking about how this world and us humans seem to be sinking into a dark age, all over the planet, and now your words have brought me some bright things to think about instead of tears. Thanx!

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 07:36 AM   #67
ecthelion
Enting

I agree, this is one of the best threads. Maybe because TB is one of the best characters in LOTR. And I agree that JRR wishes strongly for us to speculate about him.

However, Back to topic, I would like to speak my speculations:
If TB is a part of the music of the ainur, then he would not be an ainu himself. He would not have their power and concerns.
IMHO, he is too different from an ent to be one. Besides, he says that he was here before aught else.
The idea of him being part of the music is beautiful. This opens up another discussion: who of the ainur thought of him? since in the music, every ainu had his part. (Ulmo the water, Manwe the air etc.)

I'm very undecided about what he is exactly, since all is a part of the music and it doesn't explain what he is technically, and what his powers are.

What does "LOL" mean?
ecthelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 09:32 PM   #68
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Tom's melody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S.
Definitive answers may ultimately be impossible so all thoughtful conjecture is valid if for nothing more than to open our minds and hearts and keep us thinking.
Very true! That's why it's so fun to speculate about Tom Bombadil, I think. There are no definitive answers, so basically anything goes! What a waste of time if someone was so closed-minded about his or her personal theory as to try and tear down those who don't agree.

Lotesse: Glad I could brighten your day a little. You brightened mine, too.

ecthelion: You're right, being part of the music doesn't really explain technically what he is, and what his powers are.

I think people have already discussed his powers adequately on this and other threads, but basically he seems to have power or authority over everything (plants, people, wraiths) in his little area of Middle Earth: the Old Forest and Barrow Downs. The ring has no effect on him, but he can't hide or destroy it (usually one of the main arguments against him being one of the Ainur, since the ring certainly affects them). He has an affinity with water, and seems to have powers relating to elvish ones -- at least, Frodo has a prophetic dream at his house, which is similar to his vision in Lothlorien, but more ... untamed, I guess.. Tom also seems to be immortal, but somehow hobbitish and human in some ways too. Lots of people think he's some sort of spirit of nature, as Goldberry is, and I certainly won't rule that out. I don't really remember all of Goldberry's powers.

As for what Tom technically is -- he's alive, and he seems to have flesh and blood. That's all I can say, except that if he is part of the music, he could be as real as any Ainu, since they were created by Iluvatar's music also. I like your idea that Ulmo or Manwe might have "sung" Tom's melody. It could also be Yavanna, I think, or just all of them together.

What most made me think of this "Tom is part of the music" idea is the way he talks. Everything he says (not just when he's singing) fits into part of some melody that goes to this rhythm: Dum-dum Dadadum Dum-dada Dumdum / Dum-dada Dadadum Dadadada Dum-Dum.
Ho, Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo / Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow.

I wrote a little melody that sort of fits it, and here's the midi file if anyone would like to hear it.

Also, just for fun here's a sketch I did of Tom and Goldberry .

Segovia Mazes
Old 09-17-2005, 10:26 PM   #69
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

That tune was perfectly Tom Bombadillish! Easy to imagine that music accompanying anything that he says. He speaks music, just uses language to make it understandable, perhaps. The Middle-Earth happy rap artist. Hmmm. The sketches make them look very pure of spirit, which is apropos; however, I gotta ask - where did Tom's pants disappear to?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 09-17-2005 at 10:40 PM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #70
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
I wrote a little melody that sort of fits it, and here's the midi file if anyone would like to hear it.
Elanor, that's wonderful, it really is, it brings Tom to life yet more for me, thank you!

Are you a musician, BTW? I'm a long-time guitarist, myself (rock/blues/rockabilly).
Old 09-17-2005, 11:18 PM   #71
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

You guys are so nice Lol, I'm picturing Tom rapping now!
Yo, old willow man, I'm not down wit' you. (if I had the book with me I would attempt to translate some of his stuff in to rap, but I'm afraid it would be very bad!)

Er, that was just a silly sketch. I actually did all the characters separately a while ago -- a few whole bodies, but mostly just faces (I wanted to get down my imressions before they got distorted by the movie), but I liked Tom and Goldberry so I put them together and colored them in photoshop. If I did them over, I would definitely add Tom's pants and yellow boots! What color are his pants supposed to be though? (as long as they're not saggy rapper jeans with chains)

Jon S., I am a cellist and I've sung in several school and church choirs. I took piano lessons for many years, but never got very good. I was in my city youth orchestra for a while with the cello, but now I just play for fun.

Segovia Mazes
Old 09-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #72
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
Jon S., I am a cellist and I've sung in several school and church choirs. I took piano lessons for many years, but never got very good. I was in my city youth orchestra for a while with the cello, but now I just play for fun.
I'm on the same page these days. Playing for fun keeps me happy and sane.

I've never tried to post a pic here but let's see if this works (in honor of The Music) ...

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326...9/39736314.jpg
Old 09-19-2005, 05:29 PM   #73
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Can't see it.

Segovia Mazes
Old 09-21-2005, 08:24 PM   #74
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Works for me! But no great loss, I'm nothing spectacular to look at anyways (though my guitars are real lookers ).
Old 08-31-2011, 06:30 AM   #75
Pink Elephants On Parade!
Sapling

This is the best theory on Tom Bombadil I've heard. There's no proof against it, despite the ranting of the arguers, and it just makes me happy.

I don't get why we need to define every creature and being in Middle Earth so rigidly. If ME is as rich and diverse in life as our Earth, there could be millions of creatures that Tolkien never had the time to describe. Most of what Tolkien says is inclusive, not exclusive. Who says that Ainur were the only beings created by the Music, or that they all have the same powers and weaknesses?

I also recently read the Tom Bombadil chapters aloud and noticed that all his dialogue has a flow about it, like he's caught up in his own song and just enjoying life. Does the constant "rapping" get on Goldberry's nerves? I think it would get on mine! But Tom Bombadil is pretty awesome.
Pink Elephants On Parade! is offline   Reply With Quote