Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #61
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidious Rex View Post
Thus far it seems the refuges from those regions are pretty down on the Taliban themselves which of course is a plus for the Pakistani military campaign. When the Taliban took over rule of the areas it seems they acted with such extreme fundamentalist hostility toward the populace (who for the most part were accepting of them) that many now support the idea of their elimination. I heard a quote form one refuge saying essentially The Taliban is not our friend after all and is causing so much trouble and pain to the people. I dont care who bombs them, the americans or the (Pakistani) army. Just kill them. I dont care anymore. So this likely means the Pakistanis have a window of opportunity to make inroads against the Taliban for now. We'll see how long it lasts though...
Definitely something the Pakistani gov't should capitalize on.

I have read similar things, f.ex. the local councils of the tribal and clan leaders (and there are hundreds, if not thousands of sub-tribes and clans in the various tribes spread across the FATA and NWFP) have become fed up with the radicalized Islamist interpretation of the Koran and the overrunning by the Taliban of their authority. In many districts that have become Talibanized these local councils, or jirgas have been strong enough to muster anti-Taliban militia in the tens of thousands and banning the hosting in homes of Taliban or al-Qaeda peoples.

If the Pakistani gov't is serious on regaining their authority they have to reach through these jirgas and propose cooperation that the Pashtun can believe will bring about real development. It is the government's chance before the Taliban manage to bring about really bad news, like some pan-Pashtun movement.

I wonder if there's an incentive created here for the capture of Mullah Omar or even Osama bin Laden. The latter and the horde of foreign fighthers from the Middle Earth have brought in a trait of radical Islam, Wahhabism, unknown to Afghan and Paki culture. I think it is this trait that has taken hold of the Taliban movement, brought about a very, very strict interpretation of Shar'ia law and then repulsed local tribes with (thankfully) not so radical views. If enough tribal leaders believe that finding and handing over Osama bin Laden will help their cause, then if we are truly lucky, that terrorist could be in for it (if he doesn't escape yet again that is)

Last edited by Coffeehouse : 05-12-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote