Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-01-2002, 12:11 PM   #10
Tim van Meter
Sapling

The following passage is from "Dwarves and Men" Endnote Seven, Peoples of Middle-Earth.
Quote:
...the name Celebrin-baur > Celebrimbor. This was a Sindarized form of Telerin Telperimpar (Quenya Tyelpinquar). It was a frequent name among the Teleri, who in addition to navigation and ship-building were also renowned as silver- smiths. The famous Celebrimbor, heroic defender of Eregion in the Second Age war against Sauron, was a Teler, one of the three Teleri who accompanied Celeborn into exile. He was a great silver-smith, and went to Eregion attracted by the rumours of the marvellous metal found in Moria, Moria-silver, to which he gave the name mithril...
This was the passage that I was looking for, and I thank Nolendil for pointing me in its direction.

I have been surprised at the level of resistance apparent to Tolkien's re-assessment of the origins of Celebrimbor and Celeborn. I have always found that part of the huge appeal of Tolkien's creative mastery has been its sheer range and fecundity - and that the published works are merely the the tips of the iceberg. It is possible, I think, to appreciate both. Plus I am very pleased that Tolkien thought about returning some of the Amanya Teleri to Middle Earth. They were, after all, that one of the Three Kindreds in Valinor who had most affection for Middle Earth. They tarried there longest, and left behind their distant cousins. Is it also not unlikely that there were some Telerin spouses amongst the exiled host of the Noldor?
Tim van Meter is offline   Reply With Quote