Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-25-2004, 07:28 AM   #81
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Nurvingiel
Chrys is a better nickname. BTW, you can edit posts by clicking the bottom right button in the post.

All the worst lines are associated with either fabricated plot devices (ie. Theoden's "possession") or completely made up scripts (ie. many of Elrond and Arwen's ridiculous lines).
Chrys isn't a nickname, it is my name!!
& thnx for tip on editing!!
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:50 AM   #82
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I never thought that Theoden was under a spell of Grima's.
He was simply 'old', and like Denethor, succumbing to the pressures of his time. Combined with Grima poisoning him (to enhance his dotage) and always whispering in his ear about his fears, he basically 'controlled' Theoden.
I don't believe there was actual 'magic' involved.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:27 PM   #83
Ascal Elessar
Sapling

"Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!"

That line has always made me cringe. Would an orc even know what a menu is?
Ascal Elessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #84
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
Chrys isn't a nickname, it is my name!!
Whoops! Well it's a nice name.

I always imagined that though Theoden was getting older, he was still quite fit, a good warrior, and a strong leader. Like everyone he had weaknesses, and Grima would capitalize on them cleverly. He was also in a good position to do so since he was intelligent and trusted by Theoden (since he had always given good advice).
Each time Theoden, after a hard day's riding for example, said "I'm tired" or "My knee is sore" or whatever, Grima would respectfully tell him that he should rest, with the subtle undertone of saying he's too old for such activities. Theoden would come to believe this over time, and through inactivity, actually become out of shape for fighting.
When Gandalf got rid of Grima and gave him his sword, he realized that Saruman was a traitor, and that his people were in danger. He resolved, that even if he was too weak and would die in battle, that he would gain safety, and if possible, victory, for his people. This determination gave him the drive to fight again, and in doing so, he found out that he wasn't too old after all.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:25 PM   #85
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, I think it's one example of Tolkien's brilliance -- in writing that subplot, he was showing the reader the "power" of words, which of course Tolkien believed in greatly. I believe that Grima's words weren't "magic," but having been under the tutelage of Saruman, whose voice does hold "magical" powers, he would certainly have learned some technique. Add to that a man's own complaisance when faced with difficult decisions, his need to be comforted and told he's doing the right thing when he wishes to avoid conflict (and by allowing this, feeling justified in his choices), and you have a character who, though "good," is helping the side of evil by hiding his head in the sand, or rather, allowing it to be hidden.
It is only through the intervention of Gandalf, again, through his power with words, NOT "magic," that Theoden's heart is kindled, enflaming his spirit to battle the enemy. Interesting, isn't it, that Gandalf's gift is to light a flame in the heart, causing one to care so deeply about something that you are driven to fight or act in what way you can to help the cause, whereas Saruman's gift with words is the opposite, lulling people, calming them. We desire calm, we don't like conflict, but it is only through conflict that evil may be overcome. Tolkien made it backwards from how we might think, instead of the "good" one calming hearts, it is the one on the side of evil. Fascinating.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:48 PM   #86
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Gerbil
I never thought that Theoden was under a spell of Grima's.
He was simply 'old', and like Denethor, succumbing to the pressures of his time. Combined with Grima poisoning him (to enhance his dotage) and always whispering in his ear about his fears, he basically 'controlled' Theoden.
I don't believe there was actual 'magic' involved.
I was not suggesting that there was any majic, i merely chose the term 'spell' to represent any ill spoken words of Grima, whilst working for the good of Saruman, this is where tolkien truly shows his mastery as a scholar of the english language!

Last edited by Last Child of Ungoliant : 03-09-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:29 PM   #87
Mango
Sapling

How bout not one single line, but a whole concept? Arwen dying? Her life suddenly and mysteriously connected to the fate of the ring? Even though she'd never had any contact with it? Blue washed close ups of her prone on some low laying couch surrounded by dead leaves?

Perhaps there was a part of the book I'm simply forgetting. Perhaps there is a perfectly legitimate reason for every one to stand around and look constipated while Liv tosses and turns and moans and sighs.

Perhaps. But if there was, PJ did not do a good job of making it clear as to why. I spent the rest of the movie thinking: "What? What? What the flying...? Meh? Neh?"

That is, of course, until Merry began to sing. That scene was brilliant. *Froth*
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 08:42 PM   #88
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
How bout not one single line, but a whole concept? Arwen dying? Her life suddenly and mysteriously connected to the fate of the ring? Even though she'd never had any contact with it? Blue washed close ups of her prone on some low laying couch surrounded by dead leaves?

Perhaps there was a part of the book I'm simply forgetting. Perhaps there is a perfectly legitimate reason for every one to stand around and look constipated while Liv tosses and turns and moans and sighs.

Perhaps. But if there was, PJ did not do a good job of making it clear as to why. I spent the rest of the movie thinking: "What? What? What the flying...? Meh? Neh?"

That is, of course, until Merry began to sing. That scene was brilliant. *Froth*
it was not arwen dying,
but losing her immortality (The grace of the Valar)
It was in the books
this happens to elves that betroth themselves to a mortal
ex.: Luthien Tinuviel
Old 03-01-2004, 10:42 PM   #89
azalea
Long lost mooter

After seeing it again the other day, I really think it is more than that. Elrond seems to be clearly saying that Sauron's fate is directly linked TO Arwen, and that unless he is destroyed, she personally will die, not just a general statement about "like all mortals." I listened carefully, but I can't remember exactly what he said. However, it is my interpretation that they made it a direct link.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 10:43 PM   #90
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

They remain young looking until they die, and they certaintly don't start dying the second they lose their immortality.
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 03:32 AM   #91
Mango
Sapling

He (Elrond) said, and I quoteth:

"Arwen's fate is now tied to the ring."

Or something close to, and I took it to mean that if the ring was not destoyed then she would die. PJ did make it clear that she was becoming mortal for love of Aragon. However. That one line bugs me.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #92
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Okay, not dialogue, but...

The part in Pelannor Fields when the Orc leader (Gothmog?) is telilng everyone to hold their ground when rocks are being fired from Minas Tirith. One comes at him, he steps out of the way at the last minutes and spits on it. Then the beast firing the catapult nearby gives him this bizarre, confused look. I hate that scene.

Katie
Katie of the Golden Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 03:20 PM   #93
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally posted by Katie of the Golden Wood
Okay, not dialogue, but...

The part in Pelannor Fields when the Orc leader (Gothmog?) is telilng everyone to hold their ground when rocks are being fired from Minas Tirith. One comes at him, he steps out of the way at the last minutes and spits on it. Then the beast firing the catapult nearby gives him this bizarre, confused look. I hate that scene.

Katie
I thought that was brilliant, had me roaring with laughter
Old 03-08-2004, 04:22 PM   #94
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Don't know why I didn't like it...it just seemed like it should be a serious moment. Oh well.

Katie
Old 03-08-2004, 04:25 PM   #95
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Don't know why I didn't like it...it just seemed like it should be a serious moment. Oh well.

Katie
sorry, i think a bit of 'comic relief' is good
it also shows how complacent the orcs were that they were going to win, even after the fall of their captain (the witch king)
Old 03-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #96
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:

Katie
dont worry, I hated that scene too.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 05:17 PM   #97
Katie of the Golden Wood
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
dont worry, I hated that scene too.
Haha, I was worried it was just me.

Katie
Old 03-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #98
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I hated it, too.

I think all of that worst lines came from Legolas. I think it's the way he says them. To me, Orlando Bloom doesn't make Legolas have a very Elvish voice. He makes it go all deep, so everything he says sounds stupid. Especially when Aragorn and all them were talking in Denthor's chamber about charging the Black Gate, and when Aragorn finishes speaking Legolas lifts up his head, widens his eyes, and says, "A diversion." Brilliant.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:47 AM   #99
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

yes, makes legolas sound like a stupid git, whereas elves are supposed to have a musical voice
Old 03-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #100
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
aragorn:yuo bow to know one that line is really cheesy.
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote