Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

gollum's poem

When Frodo is caught in Shelob's webs, Gollum appears singing something like
"Why does it cry?
Caught like a fly
Stuck in a web
It'll soon be.... eaten"
does anyone else here automatically say in their mind 'dead' because it rhymes with web? Ive seen rotk 3 times and every time I want the last word to be 'dead' lol DO you think that was intentional?
Old 12-30-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
azalea
Long lost mooter

Yes, I did notice that. I'm not sure what the reasoning was other than to make it a little more unsettling.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 12:22 PM   #3
LeniFreak
Hobbit

Location: In a small town in a small state in a...rather overlarge country
I think it was intentional, because yes, it does make it more unsettling, and it also makes you pay attention. I'd noticed through the trilogy I would spend a lot of time getting the basic gist of what Gollum was talking about when he started saying poems (cause it was too much to take after a while), and so this way you're sitting there kind of disinterestedly digesting whatever it is he's saying and then "Whoa! That's kind of unexpected!"

Or maybe that was just me.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #4
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by azalea
Yes, I did notice that. I'm not sure what the reasoning was other than to make it a little more unsettling.
Yeah, I thought that too.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

i think thats what is known as Gollum humour, actually i did think it was quite amusing...
Old 01-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Yeah I think it was pretty deliberate. It was also rather unsettling in the way he delivered it, which is why i loved it!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote