Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

How good is Gollum's CGI Animation....

Check this out, this is really interesting, I read this today over at theonering.net:

HOW good is Gollum's animation?
Tehanu @ 4:24 am EST
How good is Gollum's animation? REALLY good, according to Ringer spy Lisa, who wrote in:
"Now that my husband and I have seen the movie more than once, it occurred to me to pass on to other fans a somewhat different observation of Gollum.

As nearly everyone who has seen TTT can attest, the CGI work of Gollum is extraordinary. However, there is another aspect of that work, too. My husband has a 65% hearing loss in both ears, wears hearing aids, and does not use sign language. Instead, he reads lips. Cartoon characters and all CGI characters have always frustrated him because he has never been able to read their lips.

Until Gollum. After we saw the movie the first time, my husband said, "I have never been able to read a CGI character's lips before. Gollum's were exactly as if he were a human being." I cannot think of higher praise for all the people involved in creating Gollum than to tell them that a hearing impaired person was able to follow Gollum's speech exactly, just by lip-reading. Kudos to the dedication of the Weta staff! "
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Coney
The Buddy Rabbit

Nice Article

Wow...I was very impressed by WETA's Gollum, but I had no idea it was that accurate

Beatallica
Coney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:04 AM   #3
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

*claps hands*

Very good. I knew that they were excellent graphics, but I didn't know they were THAT good!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 01:06 AM   #4
Huan
Elven Warrior

Now that is cool. I thought Gollum was the absolute best performance I've ever seen by a CG character.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:42 AM   #5
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

There is a magazine out called Cineflex that goes into great detail describing all the special effects in TTT. Much of it was about CGI Gollum, including how they worked to match the mouth movements with Andy's dialoge.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 09:59 AM   #6
WallRocker
Elven Warrior

Thats' amazing All I can say is that Weta should.defientely get some kind of Oscar for the awesome job they did.

<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><<>< <>< <>< <><

I pledge allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
And to the Republic for which it stands
One nation
UNDER GOD
with liberty and justice for all
WallRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Now that is cool. I thought Gollum was the absolute best performance I've ever seen by a CG character.
No 'think' about it for me.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 11:01 AM   #8
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Yet another amazing example of the incredible thoroughness of this movie. they sweated the details like no one before. right down to hirring guys who specialized in making miniature fixtures to put on the wooden buckets in the shire scene that got all of 4 seconds on screen. it really must have been not so much like working on a movie set but more like living in a small bubble where middle earth actually existed.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
Draken
Elf Lord

Gollum is the first CGI character where I've completely forgotten about it being a CGI character. He's a stunning achievement.

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:47 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

What a whopper. I have 65-70% hearing loss in BOTH ears, wear hearing aids, and can hear almost perfectly normal.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:11 PM   #11
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I agree on that; I almost forgot Gollum was actually a CGI character. And I did notice that about his lips -- it was very accurate.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
Fimbrethil
My microwave speaks to me

Location: Having conversations with my major household appliances.
Wow, thats so cool. I mean I knew Gollum was great before I read this but that had to be like the ultimate complimate for all the people involved in making Gollum.
Yes sir, yes sir. Three bags full.

I'll be gone for a while. But never fear! "I shall return anon!"
Fimbrethil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 11:31 PM   #13
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

I thought gollum was the coolest character in the movie, he looked so life like that it was amazing.
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:44 PM   #14
Edro
Sapling

Gollum

Gollum was totally cool, but i didn't know that he was that accurate. I also forgot he was computer generated. I mean hes going around, interacting with people, looking for fish, and then you tell your self "Where did they find such a thin actor ?" and you remember hes CG

Edro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 11:51 PM   #15
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

I also think the lip-reading post was an accomplishment. After seeing the TT several times, I started to pick up on little things. Such as Gollum's toes move nicely. But then there are parts of the movie when Gollum doesn't exactly match up with the rest of the film.

But hey, I am a perfectionist so what do I know? Overall, I good job.

- Celebriel
Celebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:38 PM   #16
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

You don't think he matches parts? Which parts? I never notice stuff like that and I'm curious.

Gollum never stick his knee in his forehead or any obvious mistake like that. Not only can you read his lips (deeply impressed) but his body language is so incredible! (I'd say 'human' but that's not really what I'm looking for is it?) His body language is so twisted former hobbit!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:19 PM   #17
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

Nurvingiel, the only scenes that irked me were the close-up shots. Such as when Gollum was telling Frodo he "swears...on...the precious!".

- Celebriel
Old 02-23-2003, 10:29 PM   #18
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I think there are parts in the movie where Gollum's hair doesn't move while the hobbits' hair does, among others. I didn't notice them when I saw the movie, I thought Gollum was excellent.

Last edited by cassiopeia : 02-23-2003 at 10:33 PM.
cassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:32 PM   #19
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

By the by, I love your little icon, Cassiopeia. Has someone been to MusingsOfViggo.com? ^__^

- Celebriel
Old 02-25-2003, 10:41 PM   #20
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood
The Precious

Gollum

Back to the subject. My dad's a 3D animator. Even he thought Gollum was great. All my friends fell in love with Gollum. Gollum was my favorite character in TTT.

Quoting him is great fun!!!
but words are meaningless
in your absence.
Lady_of_the_Golden_Wood is offline   Reply With Quote