Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > The Star Wars Saga
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 AM   #21
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I should watch it again before I post, but it's not every day someone posts in the Star Wars forum.

So, if I remember correctly, they were supposed to be cloned from Jengo Fett to obey orders of the good guys. But then either something was sabotaged or they wer later corrupted, because the eventually became storm troopers, although that woasn't the initial intention (at least not openly).

Sorry for not clearing anything up.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:26 PM   #22
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

I thought that a bad-guy-in-disguise-Jedi was using his reputation as a good-guy with the Talosians (or whatever aliens they are- the ones that made the clones) to get them to make a clone army.
Just thinking about this makes me confused. Because whoever it was must've been hiring Jango for A) his services as a bounty hunter, and B) the use of his genes to create all those clones. Do they ever tell you who it was in the movie? I haven't watched it in a while.

Say Bombadillo, isn't Tolkien the fantasty 'go'?
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:00 PM   #23
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosie Gamgee
I thought that a bad-guy-in-disguise-Jedi was using his reputation as a good-guy with the Talosians (or whatever aliens they are- the ones that made the clones) to get them to make a clone army.
Just thinking about this makes me confused. Because whoever it was must've been hiring Jango for A) his services as a bounty hunter, and B) the use of his genes to create all those clones. Do they ever tell you who it was in the movie? I haven't watched it in a while.
I think you're more right than I am. And it was probably Senator Palpatine as the bad-guy-in-disguise, but I'm ont sure of that either. I remember Obi Wan and the Jedi council were surprised to hear of the army, and when Obi Wan reached the planet, he didn't really know what to expect but he was there to find out what else he was hiding.

Quote:
Say Bombadillo, isn't Tolkien the fantasty 'go'?
Hahaha! I thought it was you. Welcome to the Moot!

Last edited by Bombadillo : 06-08-2003 at 12:02 PM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:19 PM   #24
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by gimli7410
stupid this is. you just said the same thing twice. jesus now i no why your a really smelly orc.

on attack of the clones i got shivers when i saw all those first clones coming to back up the jedi but the movies are a bit disapointing. i dont know what hapened to lucas. the first ones in the 70s were much better
hey! not as bad as you. Geez
Old 06-09-2003, 08:40 PM   #25
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
hey! not as bad as you. Geez

yes.....
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 01:59 PM   #26
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
yes.....

all right, whos side are you on?
Old 06-28-2003, 02:03 PM   #27
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

uhhhh the dark side
I AM CANADIAN

Old 07-05-2003, 12:23 AM   #28
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
uhhhh the dark side
uh huh. at least we're on the same side now.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:07 PM   #29
azalea
Long lost mooter

What happened to all of those threads people started after E2 came out?
Anyway, I guess I'll post this here -- I watched it again last night on HBO (that was my third time seeing it), and it made me so excited to see #3! Just one more year, right?
Re: the question at hand -- it is a confusing issue, and I don't even understand some of the explanations people were giving in this thread! But to put it simply, my take on it is as follows:
The bad guys ordered the clones. The good guys found out and used them against the bad guys. The thing is, the good guys and the bad guys are one and the same, except for the Jedi, because
we know that Palpatine becomes the Emperor
, so it really makes no difference. The war was started as a way for him to get legit ultimate power. Now all he has to do is to get rid of the Senate, which he has done in ANH. Not all of the good guys are bad guys, because they don't all know what's happening. Even most of the bad guys (ie, the Trade Federation) don't know what's really happening. They are being used; they are being set up as the "bad guys."
There is some mystery in the whole Sifo Dias (how is that spelled) in that a) did they (bad guys) use his name to order the clones (as in, someone pretended to be him) or b) had he actually ordered the clones for the bad guys (whether of not he knew they were bad at the time)? I noticed on this viewing the way Mace Windu and Yoda looked at each other very surprised and had that certain look -- I think (hope) we're going to get answers to this in E3.
I'm interested to see how they'll off Dooku and replace him with Annikin. I'm also eager to see how Luke ends up with Lars and Veru, and how Leia ends up elsewhere w/ Organa or whatever and how Vader/ Annikin didn't know about her (Padme must have them in hiding or when he's not there and splits them up or takes Leia with her somewhere -- why?), and how Obi Wan ends up on Tatooine (presumably to watch over Luke, but then of course we have that one little inconguency -- "Ben" is overcome with astonishment when Luke says R2 is looking for Obi Wan Kenobi. If he were there because of the whole thing, he wouldn't have "forgotten" who he was, he'd always be mindful of it, one would think).
There are other things, but I can't think of them off hand -- sorry to ramble, but as I said, watching it again made me think about it all.
So am I on track in my assessment of the origin of the clones?
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 12:25 PM   #30
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

This is actually open-ended, but the way I understand it is this:

1) There was once a Jedi by the name of Sifo-Dyas, who was killed sometime around the same timeframe as The Phantom Menace.

2) After Sifo-Dyas' death, someone using his name ordered the clone army. This could be either Palpatine or Dooku. (The theory goes that this unidentified villain killed Sifo-Dyas and then impersonated him.)

3) Also around this time, Dooku leaves the Jedi Order and starts the Separatist faction, luring in the Trade Federation as an ally (since the TF ran to him for help after their defeat in The Phantom Menace).

The setup is as follows: Dooku leads a Separatist movement, his master Sidious controls the Senate -
since he is the Chancellor, of course
. They create a war in Attack of the Clones - and the massive clone army sweeps in.

This leads me to propose that the construction of the clone army was predicated on two basic reasons:

a) Having the army pre-built and ready to go would mean a swift and crushing victory over the Separatists - thus consolidating the Republic/Empire without too much trouble.

b) Developing a military presence in the Republic will allow Darth Sidious to consolidate power and form the Empire, in exactly the same way as Caesar, Hitler, etc.

So in Attack of the Clones, the Jedi are working for the "bad guys" of the Classic Trilogy. As for the Separatists, Dooku is basically leading them to suicide.

By the way, it's two more years until Episode III... May 2005.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM   #31
azalea
Long lost mooter

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot

By the way, it's two more years until Episode III... May 2005.
*sniff*

Your take on the matter seems to be what I thought, too, so that assures me that I know what's going on as much as anyone. Good.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:28 PM   #32
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

i cant wait till 2005, thats too long. thats like....2 years. does anyone know what the title is
I AM CANADIAN

Old 07-25-2003, 04:02 PM   #33
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Nope, there won't be a title released until probably around August or September 2004.

I know a guy who's been on set (via a friend of his who works in the props department) but I haven't asked him anything about it, since I want to go into the film with as clean a slate as possible.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 01:24 PM   #34
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by IronParrot
Nope, there won't be a title released until probably around August or September 2004.

I know a guy who's been on set (via a friend of his who works in the props department) but I haven't asked him anything about it, since I want to go into the film with as clean a slate as possible.
What? I havn't been around for a while.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #35
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

But does a title really reveal much about the movie? I doubt it.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:36 PM   #36
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
But does a title really reveal much about the movie? I doubt it.
Attack of the clones did
Old 08-07-2003, 03:59 AM   #37
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ben
Attack of the clones did
Yah, but we know anyway how it is going to end ... just the way isn't clear yet.
But you couldn't guess too much from the fact that you knew that there would be clones.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:21 AM   #38
The Ben
Really Smelly Orc

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith
Yah, but we know anyway how it is going to end ... just the way isn't clear yet.
But you couldn't guess too much from the fact that you knew that there would be clones.
True True, thats nice.