Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-08-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Your thoughts on robot servants

If robots could be suffiencently made/programmed to do also sorts of mundane tasks but not possess true A.I. would you be adverse to owning one or having others own them.

What if they had a TRULY human appearance?

What if they were used as "pleasure toys"

Again I state that they lack true A.I. in this scenario.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

If it's possible then why not? That's basically what we are striving for the all technology, making our everyday lives easier.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
Nariel
Elven Warrior

Location: In the custody of the Knights who say "Ni!" They want a shrubbery.
I don't know how to answer this question.. have to think about it more.

On the other hand... did anyone see that commercial before LOTR for the "Robotic Domestic Assistant"? I thought it was kind of scary. I thought it was a joke at first, but the website came up and freaked me out.

Marketing Supervisor and Everything Girl for Entmoot's "Lord of the Rings"

Avatar Courtesy of "Ye Olde Avatare Shoppe"

Sounds like a job for... UBERGEEK!" (special thanks to Finrod Felagund!)

I try to make everyone's day a bit more surreal.

Funny Error Messages...
"Cannot find REALITY.SYS...Universe Halted."

"Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue..."

"Bad Command or File Name. Good try, though."

"WARNING: Keyboard Not Attached. Press F10 to Continue."

"I have a spelling checker
It came with my PC;
It plainly marks four my revue
Mistakes I cannot sea.
I've run this poem threw it,
I'm sure your pleased too no,
Its letter perfect in it's weigh,
My checker tolled me sew."
-Janet Minor

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
Nariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:42 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

We already use machines to make our lives easier, they just don't look like you and I.

I think people tend to humanize other things, such as their pets. I think it would be a bad thing to make them look like you and I. Simply because of the humanization. Some of us spend more time already with the computer than with living people... what if this robot became our "best friend"... even though it had no concept of that phrase.

On another note... although I thought A.I. (the movie) was great, the whole Pinocchio story and all... I will not see it again. It was quite disturbing and when he was left in the forest by his 'mother' ...an eyelash fell into my eye and made my eyes water up something aweful.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:37 PM   #5
LutraMage
Elven Warrior

Location: Tolkien's England where the tale grew in the telling...
What would be the difference between a robot without true AI and an automatic electic toaster that toasts the bread at a pre-defined time in the morning or a hoover that whizzes round the room on its own with sensors so it doesn't crash into things? We already have them.

Last edited by LutraMage : 01-08-2004 at 04:42 PM.
LutraMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #6
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

Doesn't Asimov deal with this in a story about the relationship between a young boy and a prototype robot his father brings home?

No problems with robots whatsoever.... I'd like to have enough of them so that I never needed to do a lick of housework again!
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:21 PM   #7
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Originally posted by LutraMage
What would be the difference between a robot without true AI and an automatic electic toaster that toasts the bread at a pre-defined time in the morning or a hoover that whizzes round the room on its own with sensors so it doesn't crash into things? We already have them.
I assumed A.I. assumes some sort of sentience.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 07:59 PM   #8
katya
Elven Maiden

Sound like the story Chobits. "Persocoms" that look like pretty girls generally only with weird ears.
I don't know that I wold mind too much, though I would tend to avoid that sort of thing. I am a more "back to nature" person, and I think such widespread use of robots would make me feel a bit like a wuss who couldn't do anything. And anyway, some "mundane tasks" I find relaxing somewhat, whether or not I actually like it. It gives me a sense of purpose and accomplishment.
The concept of a true AI disturbs me a bit.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Re: Your thoughts on robot servants

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
What if they were used as "pleasure toys"
That'd be cool, then I wouldn't have to go spend all my money on someone who isn't going to put out after I wined and dined her

lol, I am so kidding
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:25 PM   #10
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by afro-elf
I assumed A.I. assumes some sort of sentience.
That was the whole point of the movie also. The journey to find his origins was more about knowing and questioning who he was.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Radagast
Elven Warrior

You cannot beat human servants. How can you have robots doing the jobs of a Butler, Cook, Hall-boy, Footman, Stablehand, Falconer etc, etc?
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:39 PM   #12
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

A.I. was a great movie... one of spielberg's best (with a nod to kubrick of course)

i have nothing against it, though the implications for society might be bleak... would there be employment anymore for the unskilled worker if a robot could take over all or most of the jobs that humans do today?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:41 PM   #13
Nariel
Elven Warrior

my goodness, Dunedain... I really really hope there was no truth in that whatsoever.... that's awful

Funny Error Messages...

It came with my PC;
Mistakes I cannot sea.
-Janet Minor

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence."
Old 01-09-2004, 01:45 PM   #14
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Nariel
my goodness, Dunedain... I really really hope there was no truth in that whatsoever.... that's awful
lol i said i was joking
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #15
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
lol i said i was joking
*GASP* I hope so!

Dúnedain: *drives up to his date's house, goes to the door*
Date: *answers the door* "So, where are we going?" *walks with Dúnedain to his car*
Dúnedain: "oh, I was hoping just to the back seat of my car for some sex. Dinner and a movie tends to get so expensive. I just figure I'd get my jollies and then not even waste the gas to bring you home, since we're right here already."

*date stops walking; a long pause ensues*

Date: "cough cough ooooh... I'm coming down with something... we better not go on this date... I should go inside ... later" *runs inside and bolts the door*

Dúnedain: ???????
Old 01-09-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruinel
*GASP* I hope so!

Dúnedain: *drives up to his date's house, goes to the door*
Date: *answers the door* "So, where are we going?" *walks with Dúnedain to his car*
Dúnedain: "oh, I was hoping just to the back seat of my car for some sex. Dinner and a movie tends to get so expensive. I just figure I'd get my jollies and then not even waste the gas to bring you home, since we're right here already."

*date stops walking; a long pause ensues*

Date: "cough cough ooooh... I'm coming down with something... we better not go on this date... I should go inside ... later" *runs inside and bolts the door*

Dúnedain: ???????
At least I save my time and money

--Linaewen
Old 01-09-2004, 02:02 PM   #17
Nariel
Elven Warrior

yeah, Dunedain... it's like a free hooker.... unless you have to rent the robots... that would be interesting... Would there be laws against that? When does a robot become human?

From the movie DARYL:

"A robot becomes human, General, when you can't tell the difference anymore."

Funny Error Messages...

It came with my PC;
Mistakes I cannot sea.
-Janet Minor

Old 01-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

My thoughts on robot servants? Gimme!

Actually, I'm not sure whether I'd want any robot servants. Honestly, I can't think of anything I'd really need them to do.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:50 PM   #19
Ruinel
Banned

I'd like them to clean my toilets.... that's just... ewwwww
Old 01-09-2004, 03:24 PM   #20
Falagar
Death of Mooters and [Entmoot] Internal Affairs

I agree with Ruinel. Making robots look like humans would make them more "human", which would not (IMHO) be a good thing. And if we lay all the work over on robot-servants, what should we do then? You have to have a bad time to appreciate the good times.