Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Alabama Supreme Court Justice removed for defying court order...

I was just wondering what people thought of this. Supreme Court Justice Moore was "fired" today for defying a court order demanding that the Ten Commandments statue be removed from the Alabama Court house. I don't believe he nor anyone else is above the law. This was a direct violation of the court system he is supposed to represent and he deserved to be removed.

People argue that the Ten Commandments are what our laws are based on. This is only PARTIALLY true. Our laws support some of the final commandments - but not the "Thou shalt have no god beside me" commandment. If he left off the first 4 commandments - then fine - because those have NO PLACE in a secular government.

Quote:
Ten Commandments Judge Removed From Bench
Alabama Judge Who Defied Court Order to Remove Ten Commandments Monument Is Removed From Bench

The Associated Press
MONTGOMERY, Ala. Nov. 13 — Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore was removed from office Thursday for refusing to obey a federal court order to move his Ten Commandments monument from the rotunda of the state courthouse.

The state Court of the Judiciary unanimously imposed the harshest penalty possible after a one-day trial in which Moore said his refusal was a moral and lawful acknowledgment of God. Prosecutors said Moore's defiance, left unchecked, would harm the judicial system.

Moore, a champion of religious conservatives, had been suspended since August but was allowed to collect his $170,000 annual salary. He was halfway through his six-year term.

Presiding Judge William Thompson said the nine-member court had no choice in its decision after Moore willfully and publicly ignored the federal court order. "The chief justice placed himself above the law," Thompson said.

A federal judge had ruled the monument was an unconstitutional promotion of religion by the government. A federal appeals court upheld the ruling, and the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear Moore's appeal. The monument eventually was rolled to a storage room on instructions from the eight associate justices.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 11-13-2003 at 06:28 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

Wjile I'm sure Justice Moore is sincere in his faith, this whole thing was nothing more than an attempt to boost his political career. It's worked so far--it got him to the Alabama Supreme Court (he pulled the same stunt back when he was a lesser judge). He knew from day one that he would lose his position, because what he did was without question illegal (both using state money to install the monument in a state building, and defying the court order). Now he is a cause in himself, and I don't doubt he will ride this thing into Congress or end up as governor of Alabama. His whole scheme is pretty transparent to me. All of his "supporters" were duped into promoting his personal political ambitions.

As for the actual issue, JD summed up my feelings pretty much.
"WHERE? WHERE?"
"Oh. Well, it blazes up from a crimson-sheathed visage brooding darkly above the haunted towers of impotent indignity which, like melons hovering unhappily over lifetimes of empty meaning which-"
"THE ADDRESS!"
"Oh. Oh, I didn't notice. But look for a brooding, glaring trail of cosmic fury rising from a crimson-sheathed visage-"
They lead him back to his car, and send him on. -- Philip K. Dick

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." -- Diderot
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 04:12 PM   #3
gdl96
the greg the admin

Both of you summed up my opinion pretty well.

But JD, you tend to me more conservative sometimes, and I thought you would be one of the people who disagree with the situation. I guess I assumed wrong
gdl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:01 PM   #4
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by gdl96
But JD, you tend to me more conservative sometimes, and I thought you would be one of the people who disagree with the situation. I guess I assumed wrong
When it comes to my beliefs you should never assume anything. I make up my own mind and don't follow anyone. It's been many a person's downfall who believed I would side with them just because on past issues I have agreed with them.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote