Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-26-2003, 08:46 PM   #1
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

The California fires

My county happens to have been made a disaster area. There are three other counties in California that also have been made disaster areas, because of huge fires that have been started. Over 200,000 acres have been destroyed, as have about 650 homes. Ten people have been killed, so far.

Governor Davis, I think, has asked for federal money to help our state in this disaster.

My own house is safe. From where I live, though, the sun is a flickery red and can be looked directly at without difficulty. Huge clouds of smoke have filled the sky. The sky is gray and yellow (from where I live), and the temperature is quite hot. I've been rather sweaty from it all day . Flecks of white ash are constantly falling outside.

CNN has a lot more to offer on the situation. Our family is watching the television at the moment, keeping up the fire's progress on the news.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 10-26-2003 at 09:11 PM.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 09:44 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I hope you stay safe Lief.

One or two years ago there was a major fire in the Pine Barrens near my cousin's house in Beachwood. It jumped the Garden State Parkway and was stopped only 3 blocks from their house.

Fires are so unpredictable.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:20 PM   #3
mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Lief,

I pray that there is a minimal loss of property and that no one else is killed in this tragedy.

I remember the fire tha JD sroke about since they closed down about 20-25 miles of the Garden State Parkway.

I could smell the burnt trees from my house in Toms River.
(JD, It is near Beachwood.)

They announced on Sunday Night Football that tomorrow's Game between San Diego and Miami will take place in Arizona due to the fire.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/27/na...rint&position=
Fires in California Force Thousands from Homes
By JOHN M. BRODER

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif., Oct. 26 — Firestorms roared through parched forests and scrubland across Southern California on Sunday, jumping into residential areas and shrouding hundreds of square miles in pungent yellow-gray smoke.

Tens of thousands of residents were forced to flee 10 rapidly spreading blazes from Simi Valley in Ventura County in the north to San Bernardino in the east and almost to the Mexican border in the south. Thousands of federal, state and local firefighters sought to contain the fires, with little success. State fire officials estimated Sunday afternoon that the fires covered more than 250,000 acres, with the area growing hourly. The fires have claimed at least 14 lives, including two people in San Diego County who were burned in their car as they fled, the police said.

. . .

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:21 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh Lief, I didn't think of you! I'm glad you're ok.

We're right in the middle of the Ventura County fire. This AM, it was really bad (the newscameras were set up a stone's throw from our house) and we almost left because of the smoke. It came to within about a mile and a half of our house, and 20 yards from the back yard of some friends of mine up the road (he's a fireman! currently on the Ramona fire). We're in pretty good shape now, because the fire is mostly on the east and west end of the valley now, and we're in the middle.

I just came back from taking dinner to the fireman's wife and her kids, and it's dark outside, and I can see the flames from the fire in the east end of the valley just hanging up in the air in the dark - like a scene from Mordor. It looks kinda like lava flowing down the hillside. She said her husband said the Ramona fire is terrible - people died in their cars fleeing the fire, it moved so fast.

Ms. Undomial, who used to post here more but I haven't seen lately, is probably evacuated because of the west end fire, and the archery place where we both shot is probably burned down now.

And all probably set by arsonists

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-27-2003 at 12:24 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:25 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

My dad was up in OR. a couple of months ago and he wa fire fighting some fire in california earlier.
Thank God you're safe Lief

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2003, 11:38 PM   #6
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Whoa! Someone at another message board just said her friend has evacuated her house due to fire. I hope everyone's alright over there Leif. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2003, 12:06 AM   #7
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by mithrand1r

I could smell the burnt trees from my house in Toms River.
(JD, It is near Beachwood.)
I know- I lived in Bricktown when I was little. I also still always go through Toms River. I didn't know you lived in Toms River though. For some reason I thought you lived in north eastern part of NJ.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-27-2003, 12:10 AM   #8
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

I'll pray for you Lief.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 01:41 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

No need- we're about 60 miles away from the fire. As a thread had not been written on the topic and I could give a little of a firsthand account of what it's like from here, I thought I'd create one. But the people who are in harm's way could definitely use prayer. And the firemen. One of my uncles and aunts have their house quite close to one of the fires. We called them on the telephone and they didn't answer, so it appears they may have evacuated. The survival of their property would be useful to pray for. Especially since they actually live next to a minefield .

I'm glad your house is all right, RÃ*an, and you're safe.

Apparently the number of deaths as a consequence of the fire has risen to 14. Some of the deaths are in older people, because of stress from the fire, rather than the flames themselves.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:49 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Actually, I find that it's not my county that's in trouble. The nearest fires are in two counties adjacent to mine. I also was incorrect as to the number of houses destroyed- the article on CNN says it's a hundred less. The number 650 was actually the number of fire engines that Governor Davis has authorized to come in and help against the fire.

I think I heard that a flare from a hunter's gun was what started at least one of the fires. But they're in so many different locations, it rather amazes me. They're not at all connected with one another, but are miles apart. Did flying embers start all of these other fires?
Old 10-27-2003, 02:40 AM   #11
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Geez, even the DOG smells like smoke now!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 10-27-2003, 02:49 AM   #12
jerseydevil

RÃ*an - It is terrible that these fires were probably set by arsonists. My couin's knew the people who started the fire in the Pine Barrens I talked about. They were taken to court. They went out and set an illegal fire and decided to get drunk. They didn't put the fire out right or it has spread of control while they were there. I can't remember right now.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-27-2003, 03:15 AM   #13
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Are you sure? I heard that a hunter started one of them. I haven't yet seen anything about how the others started when I looked on CNN, but certainly they're related in some way to that first fire.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:42 AM   #14
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Are you sure? I heard that a hunter started one of them. I haven't yet seen anything about how the others started when I looked on CNN, but certainly they're related in some way to that first fire.
Well I know around California there have been eco-terrorists attacking new houses and stuff. I'm just waiting for one of their fires to get out of control.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 10-27-2003, 04:12 AM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Several fires are started at adjacent places at the same time? Looks like organised crime to me.

Hope you're all OK.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:27 AM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Oh, Lief, RÃ*an, that must be aweful. *sympatises* The smoke, the ash, it must be scary. I hope the fires get are under control fast.

I can understand a lot of things but I'll never understand arsonists. Lighting fires in woods or near houses, jeezes! I so hope they get what's coming to them.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:44 AM   #17
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It must be terrible to be stuck in the middle of something like that. All the best wishes. The Gaffer's doing a rain dance.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:08 PM   #18
Rían

Thanks, everyone

We're out of danger now, but the smoke and ash are still terrible. The schools are cancelled, and we're pretty much stuck indoors with the air conditioning running to filter things out. Our eyes and throats are burning, even with the AC on.

There's 10 fires going now, at last count. And I imagine many of them were set The big Simi Valley one (the one that got a mile and a half away from us) is now over the ridge and into the adjoining San Fernando Valley, where my parents and sister live My sister should be fine, but my parents are in some danger, and have got their papers and stuff together to be ready to evacuate.

Last edited by Rían : 10-27-2003 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM   #19
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

You can rest assured that I will be sending VERY bad vibes to all the arsonists concerned. Like Earniel, I really can't think of a more selfish thing for someone to do ('cept maybe poaching).
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM   #20
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I just saw some film of the fire during the news. Ye gods, that looks so scary. The wind is blowing so hard that the fire seems to leap out at you. Mordor, indeed. I'm glad you're okay, RÃ*an. I'd send over some fresh air if I could. (Manwë, can you do me this little favour, pretty please?)

As for the arsonists, I really hope the proverb proves true: "Wie met vuur speelt, verbrand zijn vingers." (Who plays with fire, burns his fingers). And not just his fingers, I hope.