Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-04-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
Athelwinde
Hobbit

Tom Bombadil What's up with Faramir in TTT

You see in the movie Faramir, who seems quasi evil, who captures Frodo and Sam and forces them to Osgiliath, and then you read the book and he's a pretty good guy, so why the difference?
Athelwinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

*leans close and whispers*

Peter Jackson is a no-talent hack, and an idiot besides.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:34 PM   #3
azalea
Long lost mooter

Here are a few old threads that deal w/ different aspects of that topic:

Mean Faramir

Another one

And another one
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 02:35 PM   #4
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

I'm sure the extended edition TT will develop the family characteristics that make Faramir the way he is. No, he won't be the Faramir many of us (who read the books before the advent of the movies) had come to know, but it may make more sense as far as the movie-Faramir goes.
Old 09-04-2003, 07:55 PM   #5
kiwi52291
Hobbit

Poor Faramir He's become one of my favorite characters in the book now that they've trashed him in the movie.
kiwi52291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Here is my prediction:

Fans will see the Extended version of TTT which includes an extensive backstory of Faramir, Boromir, and Denethor.

Fans will then see ROTK and the Extended version of ROTK.

Movie Faramir will become one of the movie trilogy's most beloved characters.

Remember this so I won't have to say "I told you so."
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #7
Athelwinde
Hobbit

Possibly, yeah, it might be in the extended TTT, but why show him that way in the first place? Does Peter Jackson have something against him??
Athelwinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

Here's MY prediction:

BB will get slapped silly with a very large trout.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 11:47 PM   #9
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Now now, it's not nice to slap people with fishes. But as for the Faramir thing, I was really unhappy with the way PJ portrayed him, being the 'bad guy' and all. But you can't please everyone I guess...

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 09:57 AM   #10
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Ditto. BUT, why did Faramir hafta change for the movie?! This is one thing I will never understand. I know that for movies that one makes based on books have to be condensed and reshaped a bit to make into a watchable movie, but why do the IMPORTANT parts in the story have to be switched around?! What would have been so hard about keeping Faramir as he is supposed to be? Why can he not be a better man than his brother (let's face it), and not just repeat the same mistakes Boromir made?? Arg.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 10:56 PM   #11
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

LOL!

Quote:
Peter Jackson is a no-talent hack, and an idiot besides.
As a no-talent hack, myself, and a bit of an idiot, I sure wish my bank account was as extensive as his.

Seriously, though, I was a bit of PJ fan before LotR, and I had a feeling that his adaptation was not going to make hardcore, purist fans happy. That’s alright, though. Really, though, who could? I know a lot of people who hadn’t even heard of Tolkien before, and now, because of the movies, are reading Tolkien for the first time. Way to go, PJ!

Faramir? Simple… conflict of interest. One of PJ’s themes was the weakness of men. According to his plan, only Aragorn is supposed to be that paragon of human virtue. Faramir is a character abruptly introduced in the second movie, and he’s a minor character in comparison to Aragorn. A great and upstanding picture of virtue in Faramir would, in this schema, lessen the impact of Aragorn’s characterization.

--Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 05:44 AM   #12
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume le Maréchal
Faramir? Simple… conflict of interest. One of PJ’s themes was the weakness of men. According to his plan, only Aragorn is supposed to be that paragon of human virtue. Faramir is a character abruptly introduced in the second movie, and he’s a minor character in comparison to Aragorn. A great and upstanding picture of virtue in Faramir would, in this schema, lessen the impact of Aragorn’s characterization.
Hmm, I don't know Guillaume (Welcome to the entmoot by the way ), it's sounds a bit too easy. Especially since in the movie Aragorn has all these doubts about his kingship. And Elrond talks him so very easily into letting Arwen go. If he's supposed to be the paragon of virtue than we humans are very, very screwed indeed.

Faramir may be a minor character in TTT in comparison with Aragorn but his role gains importance in RoTK. Messing up his character now means messing up more later to straigthen out the mistake.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #13
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

The character we all know and love from the books will be seen in all his glory in the EE TTT and ROTK.

The issue with Faramir in the theatrical release of TTT was simply editing. PJ has great stuff on Faramir but he is a secondary character in TTT and time was not available to present all sides of the character. In the EE, we will see a much more 'fleshed out' (and more flattering) verison of Faramir on film.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:19 PM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The character we all know and love from the books will be seen in all his glory in the EE TTT and ROTK.

The issue with Faramir in the theatrical release of TTT was simply editing. PJ has great stuff on Faramir but he is a secondary character in TTT and time was not available to present all sides of the character. In the EE, we will see a much more 'fleshed out' (and more flattering) verison of Faramir on film.
I won't make any such statements about Faramir being more like the way Faramir ought to be in the extended TTT or RoTK until I saw both of them.

Until then I stick to these words: He'd BETTER.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #15
Guillaume le Maréchal
Elven Warrior

Eärniel, aye, your right in saying: “in the movie Aragorn has all these doubts about his kingship”. Once again, though, we see a bit of PJ’s extra-Tolkien theatrics. Aragorn isn’t supposed to be a paragon of virtue in the beginning, but goes through a kind of Telemachian journey of self discovery in which he comes to realize the strength he already possesses. It is about overcoming self-doubt. A very stock literary and cinematic vehicle, but hey! it worked for Homer.

Now contrast Aragorn’s Telemachian journey to a Faramir who automatically possesses enough virtue to overcome the lure of the one ring. It just doesn’t work within PJ’s scheme. I don’t necessarily think that PJ’s Faramir is “messed up.” In the end Faramir lets Frodo, Sam and Gollum go, and thus allows the ring fall out of his hands. I think this bolsters PJ’s Faramir and sets the character up for further development in RotK.

At any rate, it should be realized that we are dealing with PJ’s Faramir, not Tolkien’s. For those who believe that PJ should have religiously followed the letter of Tolkien law, then, of course, it is blasphemy to speak of “PJ’s Faramir.” On the other hand, I didn’t expect to find a movie that religiously followed the books word for word. I’m trying to let the movies speak for themselves. So far, I don’t think there is enough evidence to say that PJ’s Faramir is an insult to Tolkien’s, or to the “spirit of Tolkien.” Of course, determining what exactly the “spirit of Tolkien” is, is a matter of intense debate.

Thanks for the welcome, Eärniel!

BB, after re-watching the DVD a couple of times, I’m inclined to disagree with you about the editing issue. I think that PJ did a good job with the theatrical release in demonstrating his major themes and getting his point across. True, it doesn’t cast Faramir in the best light, but then again does the Faramir in the movie have to be, like it’s a matter of life or death, be cast in a good light? Like I said, I don’t think doing so would have achieved PJ’s artistic aims.

Regards,
Dave
as good as war, trouble and action.

--Bertran de Born, Knight and Troubadour

Castle Duncan
Guillaume le Maréchal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2003, 04:44 PM   #16
nessa
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer

How can that be BB when PJ has already set the scene for Faramir's character? He can flesh it out all he wants but he has still corrupted the Faramir character from the book. He would have to contradict himself? At no time did Faramir display those traits that Boromir did. PJ has melded the two together and has given Faramir the same desires as his brother, proll more then Boromir possessed.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #17
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

there are worse things than faramir guys...But really I think Peter Jackson did a great job, despite all the stuff we nitpick at. He's not the only one on the script after all. I think since they left Shelob out of TTT, the end of it was a bit sloppy. Only the parts having todo with Osgiliath, though.
The bad thing about faramir is his taking them to gondor then deciding- after hearing sam's romantical speach-to let them go. stupidity in screenwriting. but its not all pj's fault.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 02:35 PM   #18
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by nessa
How can that be BB when PJ has already set the scene for Faramir's character? He can flesh it out all he wants but he has still corrupted the Faramir character from the book. He would have to contradict himself? At no time did Faramir display those traits that Boromir did. PJ has melded the two together and has given Faramir the same desires as his brother, proll more then Boromir possessed.
The movie added more drama to Frodo's meeting with Faramir, but the result was essentially the same. Unlike Boromir, Faramir resisted the temptation of the ring for himself. He was motivated to please his father by presenting him "a gift that will change our fortunes in this war." We will understand a great deal more about the reason behind this motivation in the Extended DVD. Due to the editing of the theatrical release of TTT, Faramir didn't come off as classy as he truly is but the audience will get a deeper appreciation for him in the upcoming releases. But there was nothing in the movie that "corrupted" Faramir's character from the books.

Regarding the ending, Faramir wasn't just responding to Sam's speech to Frodo. Right before the Nazgul attack, he had also heard Sam's outburst that the ring had driven his brother Boromir mad. This was also a factor in his ultimate decision to let Frodo go.
Old 09-21-2003, 01:58 PM   #19
Elf Girl
Lurker

But Boromir too did not want it for himself. He wanted only to give it to the enemies of Sauron: Gondor, his father. That's what Faramir wanted in the movie.

You really think the majority of people who watched TTT will buy the EE?
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 02:16 PM   #20
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Elf Girl
But Boromir too did not want it for himself. He wanted only to give it to the enemies of Sauron: Gondor, his father. That's what Faramir wanted in the movie.

You really think the majority of people who watched TTT will buy the EE?
Yes, Boromir wanted it for himself. Boromir to Frodo: "If you would just lend me the ring..." Faramir felt the same temptation to take the ring for himself that Boromir faced but resisted and showed his quality.

Buy? No. But I think the majority of people who watched TTT will watch the EE.