Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-20-2004, 03:30 AM   #1
Haradrim
The Official Court Jester of the Entmoot

Denethor, Faramir, Boromir

I have a question.
Why exactly did Denethor dislike Faramir. I mean was it just the fact that he lost a couple of times or was it something more? I would like to find out more on this matter. My personal feeling is that Gandalf chose Faramir. He liked him more and he talked with him more. Maybe Denethor was against this as Boromir would be the next steward? Maybe he resented his favor of Faramir when Faramir could be nothing but a failure in Denethor's eyes? Discuss.
Old 08-20-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Apparently, Dnethor preferred Boromir, as he was more like him - while Faramir liked to read and learn more. Faramir wanted to go to Rivendell, but Boromir said he will since he's the older - and probably stronger, so it would ber easier to him, and he'd get there faster, can't remember really. Anyway, Boromir left, and died as you know. So the relationship between them got worse... I believe Denethor still liked Faramir, though, he was just disappointed, and preferred Boromir. Remember that Denethor was also affected by Sauron.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #3
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radagast The Brown
Faramir wanted to go to Rivendell, but Boromir said he will since he's the older - and probably stronger, so it would ber easier to him, and he'd get there faster, can't remember really.
It was Denethor himself who sent Boromir to Rivendell.
In this light the whole story, concocted by Boromir, about coming to interpret the dream sounds too dubious. Denethor knew about the Ring.
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 07:54 PM   #4
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

You know, I have always wondred if Boromir made it up about even having the dream. Faramir doubtless told him of the details. So Boromir claimed the adventure for himself, and Denethor indulged his favorite, who was, BTW, not like him, according to Gandalf.
Old 08-20-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
So Boromir claimed the adventure for himself, and Denethor indulged his favorite, who was, BTW, not like him.
But who , without doubt,"would have brought ... a mighty gift" to him.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 PM   #6
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

No, he would have fallen, and, when he reurned, Denethor would not have known his son.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:20 AM   #7
Haradrim

So Boromir wanted the glory and he told Faramir he would go. THen when Boromir died he wished Faramir had gone because he prefered Boromir making him resentful of Faramir. ???? Still confused
Old 08-21-2004, 02:07 AM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
...So Boromir claimed the adventure for himself, and Denethor indulged his favorite, who was, BTW, not like him, according to Gandalf.
Agreed... at least in capabilities, I think Faramir was much more like Denethor. In attitude and ambition however, Boromir was much more like Denethor. I think fathers of sons can see different aspects of themselves respresented in each one (and cringe therebye ).

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #9
Haradrim

But why did he like Boromir more. What did he see in him that he saw in himself ( and cringe thereby ) Was it just the fact that Boromir would be steward or was it something more?
Old 08-21-2004, 02:36 AM   #10
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim
But why did he like Boromir more. What did he see in him that he saw in himself ( and cringe thereby ) Was it just the fact that Boromir would be steward or was it something more?
Perhaps he saw that Boromir's heart was more like his... while with Faramir, perhaps it was more a matter of manner and mentality. Perhaps Boromir was all that he had never really been - such a great warrior - and he admired him for it. Who knows? We aren't really told explicitly - but it's not the kind of thing Tolkien, as author, spills out. Why DO some fathers favor one son over another? What leads them to do it...???

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:40 AM   #11
Haradrim

Good point. I mean some fathers simply favor one over the other for no reason. Also I think you are right about the whole Boromir=warrior=admiration of by Denethor. But when Boromir died I would have thought that Faramir and Denethor would have embraced each other and wept with each other. Instead Denethors dislike almost intensifies. I dont understand why he did that. It just doesnt make sense. I mean maybe he thought Faramir should have gone but that doesnt make much sense either.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:06 AM   #12
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Gandalf said of Denethor...

Quote:
He loved him (Boromir) greatly: too much perhaps;and the more so because they were unlike."
Gandalf also says of Denethor....

Quote:
"He is not as other men of this time, Pippin, and whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet not in Boromir whom he loved best."
Denethor was a complex character. Who knows what instigated the favouritism towards his eldest son. Perhaps it was related to the death of his wife. Maybe Faramir reminded him too strongly of her. Or perhaps Boromir reminded him of his wife and loved him all the more because of this.

Perhaps he esteemed Boromir's perceived strength of purpose and vision - Denethor may have felt that this single-mindedness was the only way to save Gondor. Remember what Faramir said of Boromir...

Quote:
"And this I remember of Boromir as a boy, when we together learned the tale of our sires and the history of our city, that it always displeased him that his father was not a king." "How many hundreds of years needs it to make a steward a king, if the king returns not?" he asked. "Few years, maybe, in other places of less royalty," my father answered. "In Gondor ten thousand yeras would not suffice." Alas! poor Boromir. Does that not tell you something of him?"
Old 08-21-2004, 07:08 AM   #13
Haradrim

Thanks for the quotes I have been looking for them everywhere. I have been trying to find some good ones. Btw who was Denethors wife? and why did she die?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:27 AM   #14
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Thanks for the quotes I have been looking for them everywhere. I have been trying to find some good ones. Btw who was Denethors wife? and why did she die?
Denethor's wife was Finduilas, a princess of Dol Amroth. She died from loneliness and depression 12 years after her marriage.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
Haradrim

hmm lonely queen that seems a little hard to pull off. Couldnt she just buy friends? jk. Also was Denethor a bad husband or something cuz why was she so lonely that she DIED?
Old 08-21-2004, 07:37 AM   #16
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

There is also a reference in Appendix A that might explain, in part, Denethor's preference for his eldest son. Denethor's father, Ecthelion II, took into his service a man called Thorongil (this was, it can be inferred, Aragorn in another guise). Ecthelion highly esteemed Thorongil and perhaps this has some impact on Denethor's parenting...

Quote:
"Denethor II was a proud man, tall, valiant, and more kingly than any man that had appeared in Gondor for many lives of men; and he was wise also, and far-sighted, and learned in lore. Indeed he was as like to Thorongil as to one of nearest kin, and yet was ever placed second to the stranger in the hearts of men and the esteem of his father."
This is like a parallel between Denethor and Faramir - they were alike, yet Faramir was placed second to Boromir. Maybe Faramir reminded Denethor too strongly of Thorongil - Aragorn and Faramir are reported to be very similar.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:42 AM   #17
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
hmm lonely queen that seems a little hard to pull off. Couldnt she just buy friends? jk. Also was Denethor a bad husband or something cuz why was she so lonely that she DIED?
This quote is from Appendix A...

Quote:
She was a lady of great beauty and gentle heart, but before twelve years had passed she died. Denethor loved her, in his fashion, more dearly than any other, unless it were the elder of the two sons she bore him. But it seemed to men that she withered in the guarded city, as a flower of the seaward vales set upon a barren rock. The shadow in the east filled her with horror, and she turned her eyes ever south to the sea that she missed.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:04 AM   #18
Haradrim

So youre saying she was a country girl and when she was cooped up as queen she felt all trapped and such. Well that makes sense. Thanks
Old 08-21-2004, 02:46 PM   #19
Olmer
Elf Lord

Quote:
...whatever be his descent from father to son, by some chance the blood of Westernesse runs nearly true in him; as it does in his other son, Faramir, and yet not in Boromir whom he loved best."
In plain words good old Gandalf was implying that Boromir is a bastard, otherwise how Westernesse's blood of the father could run in one son and not in other.
Old 08-21-2004, 05:43 PM   #20
Haradrim

Can you imagien that. Gandalf walks over to the babies checks their pulse and temperature then picks Faramir up and nods his head then he picks Boromir up and stamps him with a big red stamp that says BASTAR*