Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-28-2003, 07:29 PM   #1
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

New favorite moments in TTT???

I've seen the TTT movie more than a dozen times on the big screen (we have a $2 theatre in my city that played TTT all summer) but I still discovered new little moments on the DVD that I really like.

My newest 'favorite moment' from the film is at the very end when Sam thinks about Frodo's comments about him and says "Samwise the Brave" out loud to himself. The camera then turns to Frodo and the smile on Elijah Wood's face is priceless.

It's another shining example of Peter Jackson communicating tons about the story without saying a single word.

What new little things have the rest of you noticed?
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 11:40 PM   #2
feigndeath
Sapling

Hmmm yes, I love that one scene, where Frodo is in Osgiliath and he is on the over pass and the Fell Beast and the Black Rider are RIGHT in front of him! And Sammy-boy comes and shoves him out of the way JUST in time, the Fell Beasts claws grasp thin air.

Love it!

I also really like the entire Helm's Deep scenes.
feigndeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:09 AM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

Re: New favorite moments in TTT???

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
What new little things have the rest of you noticed?
that ur a sad little [edited] i do with u and your peter jackson poster would [edited]

[edited by azalea -- please don't flame/ inappropriate content]
Old 08-29-2003, 04:55 PM   #4
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

Quote:
My newest 'favorite moment' from the film is at the very end when Sam thinks about Frodo's comments about him and says "Samwise the Brave" out loud to himself. The camera then turns to Frodo and the smile on Elijah Wood's face is priceless.
I like that bit too and Elijah just looks so adorable lol.

I love Helms Deep too but i also really like the part with the Wags (I noticed this before but it's a really good bit especially when you can re-watch it on DVD) When Aragorn runs back and says they are under attack and then there is a shot of Legolas on a ledge on his own shooting the wargs down and then you can see in slow motion the others riding over the hill and then Legolas swings round in front of the horse and gets himself up on the horse next to Gimli. But when you see the others coming over the hill i think that looks really cool too.

I love that bit!
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 07:31 PM   #5
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

OK, here's my list:

-Legolas's shield-surfing at Helm's Deep.
-When Sam and Frodo's little talk in the woods.
-Sam's speech at Osgiliath.
-Sam and Gollum discussing fish and chips.

Those are the best little things.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:36 PM   #6
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

The one moment that stirred me the most, was when Aragorn talks to hama's son.This is a good sword halas son of hama.There is always HOPE and then he starts putting his armour on. To me that looked like Tolkien's Aragorn had finally arrived.
nazgul prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 10:01 PM   #7
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by nazgul prince
The one moment that stirred me the most, was when Aragorn talks to hama's son.This is a good sword halas son of hama.There is always HOPE and then he starts putting his armour on. To me that looked like Tolkien's Aragorn had finally arrived.
I love that moment too. Especially the look on Aragorn's face after he swings Halas's sword around and then stares at it with a determined look on his face.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:50 PM   #8
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

I can't wait until Aragorn finally get's Anduril.Can u just imagine the determination he will have then.In a way i can see why pj waited so long to have Aragorn have it.It will truly be the RETURN OF THE KING. P.S isn't the rohirrim music awesome. it's both powerful and beutiful with a celtic twist.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:53 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I agree with Sam's speach, I definitely love that part.

I just watched the DVD again tonight and I picked something up that I thought was really neat. When Frodo falls into the Dead Marshes and see's all the ghosts around him, watch it very closely when Smeagol rescues him. If you watch Frodo's left shoulder just before he is pulled from the water, there is a ghost's face and arm grabbing at him, but that arm becomes Smeagol's arm pulling him out. That is a fantastic blend of a shot there.

I also have to say that anything involving Gollum/Smeagol was simply awesome. I think Jackson really brought to life the character I loved in the books and he made him exactly how I would have pictured him. Plus the fact that the character was CGI is amazing, because he looks so damn real...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:01 PM   #10
nazgul prince
Enting

Nazgul

Second that dunedain.Gollum was the marvel of the movie.pj hit the nail right on the head with him.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:30 PM   #11
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

Sam and Gollum discussing Fish and Chips.
Legolas Shield-Boarding.
Gollum and Smeagol arguing.
The Fell Rider.
Legolas swinging up on to the horse.
Helm's Deep.
When the Three Hunters find Gandalf The White.
Basically the whole movie, even though I've only seen it twice!
Old 08-30-2003, 10:14 PM   #12
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

I watched the DVD again and I picked out somemore stuff:

-Frodo falling into the Dead Marshes (I thought that was really neat)
-Gollum and Smeagol's argument
-Legolas swinging up onto the running horse
-Gimli complaining he can't see at Helm's Deep
-Gimli putting on the mail that was too big for him
Old 08-31-2003, 08:13 AM   #13
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I noticed something new this weekend. Near the end of the movie when Gandalf says, "the battle for Helm's deep is over...the battle for Middle-Earth is about to begin," there was an additional horse rider I hadn't noticed before:

Gimli.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:11 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I loved this shot before, but watching it again made me think to mention it here:
It only appears for an instant, but the shot of Faramir (or is it one of his men? I'll have to freeze frame next time) coming out behind the bush in his hood and aiming/ shooting the arrow -- the first glimpse we see of that gang -- oh, it gives me chills every time!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 04:23 PM   #15
Sween
im quite stupid

Best peice in the while movie is when they ride from helms deep down the cause way that long sweeping shot following them down as they just send orc flying its truely amazing. The thing that i allways think about that shot is you know that the way things used to be done if there was no hope for death and glory etc i love that bit
Old 09-01-2003, 12:57 AM   #16
crickhollow
The Buckleberry Fairy/Captain

I love the portrayal of Theoden as a kind of old Beowulf, riding out "for death and glory", compared with Aragorn, the strong hero, and "young Beowulf".
crickhollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #17
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

It may just be a coincidence, but I've noticed a couple of scenes that might be Jackson's way of paying homage to the classic Wizard of Oz film.

The first one is where Frodo, Sam, and Gollum reach the Black Gates. It reminds me a little bit of the scene from the Wizard of Oz where the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow watch the changing of the guard at the Wicked Witch's castle from behind a rock.

The second is when Hornburg is stormed and the defenders retreat into the Keep. It reminded me of the scene in the castle where the wicked witch's troops rush in from both directions to trap Dorothy, Toto, and the gang.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:02 AM   #18
SonOfSamWise
Hobbit

Sam Gamgee Theoden and the recovery of the leaf

The part where Theoden was grieving the death of his son, with Gandalf playing the part of grieving counselor; consoling and whispering Elvish blessings was very moving.

I also enjoyed the part where Elrond, in a voice-over, was describing Aragorn as,
"an image of the splendor of the Kings of Men in glory undimmed before the breaking of the world."

I am also moved by Aragorn finding Pippin's Leaf of Lorien.

How many of y'all have the leaf?
I do.

Last edited by SonOfSamWise : 09-02-2003 at 11:04 AM.
SonOfSamWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 02:08 PM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
The first one is where Frodo, Sam, and Gollum reach the Black Gates. It reminds me a little bit of the scene from the Wizard of Oz where the Tin Man, Cowardly Lion, and Scarecrow watch the changing of the guard at the Wicked Witch's castle from behind a rock.
Interesting you should say that because several mooters were of that opinion when the movie came out in December. I remember making comments about that and the Olympic torch-bearing orc.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 08:46 PM   #20
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

I've watched TTT twice at home now, and a few things have popped out at me that I really like:

1) I love the scene in the Dead Marshes when the Nazgul flies over. Frodo shows real pain and fear, and I love the flashbacks to the night on Weathertop when he was stabbed. The sound effects are awesome when the Nazgul at last flies away and all is silent...then it lets out that croaking scream. Very chilling.

2) I don't recall his name, but the guy who plays Faramir has grown on me. I think he does a superb job.

3) Gollum is becoming easier and easier to accept as a true character, making me forget that he is CG.