Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-23-2004, 09:17 PM   #1
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

An exercise in Writing: Describe yourself

In the interests of the English Language,
Please describe yourself in as much detail as possible.

Hello, my name is chrys, i am 18 years old, and live in the United Kingdom. My hobbies are dog showing, and stewarding, at which i am extremely prolific! I am quite short, of medium build, and have dark hair and dark eyes, my hair is quite short, although my intent is to grow it. I live in a small village, nestled amogst the Quantock Hills, where I enjoy walking my dogs, and riding horses.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Hello, I'm Anthony.

I'm six foot, or maybe a little taller. I have dark brown hair with some lighter areas in it of blond. My eyes are middling blue, ocassionaly taking on a greenish tone. I'm very thin, and look to be about seventeen or eighteen instead of fifteen.

I live in a medium size city, where I'm very happy to be since I'm on the outskirts, and the area is kind of woodsey in some places.

I'm a Romen Catholic and I enjoy writing, reading, and playing games on the computer.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:00 PM   #3
Janny
The Blobbit

I have various names, some official, some, such as an affectionate 'gitface', are not quite so. I am tall, in the region of 6"1, the precise location of my eyes prevent me viewing exactly. I have eyes which wander between blue and green, and between lenses and small, black outlined glasses. I'm sixteen years old and surprisingly able and willing to talk about the explots of myself in such a short time.
I have recently reduced the number of hobbies in which I partake to increase my quota of time given to idle thoughts. I used to play hockey for Kent, but I was never that good, and never really made friends in the team. Now I play the guitar, harmonica (much to the consternation of my female 'fans') and sing in a soft rock band, for which I write songs. As a birthday present last year I wrote, recorded and designed the inlay to a solo album, that is, the studio was too small to fit all band members, so I decided to go ahead without telling them. I continue to procrastinate on that front.
I'm Roman Catholic, live in a sweet little coastal town and own a beast known as 'Janny'.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.

Last edited by Janny : 07-15-2004 at 12:06 PM.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:39 AM   #4
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
I have French first and middle names (which I use hyphenated for "professional purposes" -- when I submit stories or poems to publications in an earstwhile attempt to become a "professional"). These French names belie the fact that I have no French heritage whatsoever. My mother just liked the names.

I am old enough to be the mother, aunt or (much) older sister of almost everyone on the 'Moot. But lately I have realized that there are some forms of angst one never outgrows...

My hair is still quite brown, but there is enough silver to make me look nearly my age (though I've been told I look very young for it). Believe me, it is always better to look younger than you are (I realize some of you might not feel that way now, but with age comes a certain perspective...).

I have brown eyes with a slightly amber cast. I like my eyes, but they have been hidden by glasses since I was six, save for a brief period when I experimented with contact lenses. They were the old "hard" lenses, and eventually they dried out my eyes so that I could no longer wear them.

I am 5'6" tall, though I may be shrinking due to advanced age. (They say that happens...)

I have a few hobbies...reading, writing (of course), going for rides in the countryside in my PT Cruiser (a car, for those outside the USA). In the summer, I love to go to local art festivals and I love to go walking along the lakeshore (one of the Great Lakes is just three miles from my house.) I live in a medium-sized city, which offers much in the way of cultural opportunity and little in the way of ecconomic opportunity.

I have a cat that I love beyond all reason. I rescued him from life on the street and he loves me for it. Every day because of him I am treated to the most beautiful of all sounds -- a cat's purr.

I suppose this less than what I really am and more than you really want to know!

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #5
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Hello, my name is Hector, and I am about 5"9, I like how I look, except maybe for my nose, which is a bit short-ish. not big or wide, or upturned, just short, I have a brown complexion ...I wear glasses, I'm a casual dresser, and I have big feet
I live in Tennessee. There are alot of good things about this state, but also alot of disadvantages as well. I am quite proud if the NSO however
I enjoy outdoors type things like soccer, hiking, rock climbing, and working on tree houses. I enjoy bothering the NSO about performances, and my goal in life is to become a famous conductor/composer, as well as a movie director.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #6
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
Hello, my name is Hector, and I am about 5"9, I like how I look, except maybe for my nose, which is a bit short-ish. not big or wide, or upturned, just short, I have a brown complexion ...I wear glasses, I'm a casual dresser, and I have big feet
I live in Tennessee. There are alot of good things about this state, but also alot of disadvantages as well. I am quite proud if the NSO however
I enjoy outdoors type things like soccer, hiking, rock climbing, and working on tree houses. I enjoy bothering the NSO about performances, and my goal in life is to become a famous conductor/composer, as well as a movie director.
You forgot about your Southern accent.

Just goes to show you can't trust our pres with even describing himself...sigh...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
katya
Elven Maiden

I'm a 16 year old girl. I actually don't really like that word- "girl". I guess it's ok, though, since I don't think I'm quite a woman yet, midlife crisis or not. I'm rather tall, so I can't wear high heels without being taller than most boys my age. It's sad, because most shoes I like have heels. I'm actually not very interested in fashion- I just like to look cool according to my standards, and I happen to also love new shoes. My hair is a mess. Near every hair dresser I've gone to has said my hair is exceptionally thick. I don't think it's merely on the thick side, but truly very thick. That's why I straiten it- it's also very wavy. It's ok now, I suppose. It's strait and flat...
I live in Michigan, in a very small town. Sometimes I wish I lived some place where I could live according to my own standards of living as well as fashion, but other times I sit in the woods, and change my mind. My friends are very good kids. They get good grades, and don't do drugs. My other friends, however, who I'm not as close with, do. Sometimes when they talk, I feel very childish, as if I haven't grown up yet. I think I'm just like they said though, an innocent angel. Well, that's part anyway. It's the part that is a hopeless romantic, and who likes sappy love songs. The other part of me slouches, has horrible penmanship, eats a lot (but isn't fat), and likes fighting tv shows and war movies most of all.
I'm mostly just trying to get through life. It's hard sometimes, but that's only because I think too much. But you know, I think I'll be ok. I mean, at least I don't have a southern accent.

Quote:
Originally posted by Beruthiel's cat

I have a few hobbies...reading, writing (of course), going for rides in the countryside in my PT Cruiser (a car, for those outside the USA). In the summer, I love to go to local art festivals and I love to go walking along the lakeshore (one of the Great Lakes is just three miles from my house.)

I have a PT cruiser too. I don't like it. Actually, I live about a hop a skip and a jump from lake huron. I can see it from here. And I like cat's too. We have a lot a things in common! Goodness! (well, maybe...)

Last edited by katya : 04-26-2004 at 05:23 PM.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 PM   #8
hectorberlioz

I definitely do not have a southern accent. My parents have alwyas moved around to alot of places, and no place for any long period of time, so I've never had time to pick up accents. Now that we are settled somewhere, I decided that I would not like to have a southern accent. So, I DONT HAVE ONE.
Mercutio, you shall be spanked. Katya, be careful what you say...

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-27-2004, 07:50 AM   #9
katya
Elven Maiden

Quote:
Katya, be careful what you say...
Hey! All I said was that I didn't have a southern accent. You probably just figured I was referring to you because you're paranoid. So afraid we'll all find out...that we know your secret.
katya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #10
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
I definitely do not have a southern accent. My parents have alwyas moved around to alot of places, and no place for any long period of time, so I've never had time to pick up accents. Now that we are settled somewhere, I decided that I would not like to have a southern accent. So, I DONT HAVE ONE.
Mercutio, you shall be spanked. Katya, be careful what you say...
Hector, my father grew up in Alabama and settled in Michigan when he got out of the Air Force. He lost most of his accent for the 20+ years he lived there and also after he started moving all over the world because of his job. He now lives in New Mexico. The natives there have a southwestern accent similar to a southern accent and -- guess what??? He's picked up the accent again!!!

Moral: You can run but you cannot hide!!!

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-27-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
hectorberlioz

I dont have an accent . thats finale.
maybe we should all exchange phone numbers so we can call eachother to see what eachother sounds like

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #12
Mercutio

You better be careful...he could get his friend John w/o a southern accent to talk to and trick you! *first hand experience here*

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
hectorberlioz

no one down here except my family does not have a southern accent

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #14
Janny
The Blobbit

Clear as mud!

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 09:13 AM   #15
Beruthiel's cat

Quote:
no one down here except my family does not have a southern accent

Hmmmm.... does this mean that no one "down here" has a southern accent except the family???

--or--

... does this mean that Hector is the only one in the family with an accent???

--or--

... should we now believe that Tennesee has developed a homogenized midwestern accent like I have???

--or--

... is something more sinister going on???

Please clarify, Hector, since this forum is designed to help participants improve their English and writing skills by allowing others to give critiques of their works.

Consider yourself critiqued!!!

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 05-17-2004, 10:02 PM   #16
Nimbrennil
Hobbit

Mae Govannen! --

Okay, chatterers... I'm going to write out a desc of me! myself! and I! And me! myself! and I! just happens to be, well, me--Nimbrennil.

My skin. I have very light skin, only slightly ruddy around my cheeks. I have many freckles, but they are everywhere except my face! There I have what are commonly known as either pimples or zits; but most are smallish in size. My nose is kind of flared-out-ish (*smile*), but I really like it! My eyes are blue, mixed with green, overlaid with misty gray, and splattered and rimmed-around-the-pupil with amber. My hair is ash blonde, streaked naturally with gold!

I'm about 5' 3"-5' 4", depending upon the time of day! (At night I'm shorter; in the morn I'm taller! I'm serious!) I have practically no muscles, except in my hands and my arms; and that is only became I am a pianist. My body is (kind of) a "hourglass"; that is, my waist is smaller than, say, my shoulders or hips. I like my feet and my hands, even though I bite my fingernails (but only because it's hard to practice with long fingernails, honest!), but I never bite my toenails. EW!

I live in Middle-earth, though I don't know where. I think I travel back and forth between both Rohan and Imladris... Oh well. When I decide, I'll tell you. I like to play piano, read (Tolkien), draw, and write. I hate housework, Tolkien-haters, and orcs (they're scary!), as well

And that's me! Sorry my description is so long! Bye!

Pelo nalú i laiss en-Galadh Guil l*n,
--Nimbrennil
daughter. You stand
between me and my lord
and kin. Begone, if you be
not deathless! For living
or dark undead, I will smite
you, if you touch him.
--Eowyn, RotK

I do not wish to play at
riddles. Speak plainer!
--Eowyn, RotK
Nimbrennil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:47 AM   #17
Lady Magpie
Enting

I have been described by many words (most of them adjectives ), such as wierd, interesting, funny, pretty, crazy, intelligent, insane, mysterious, creative, small. . .the list goes on. . .but those are words given by others, and here it is a task for me to describe myself. . .I am self-defined as female (mostly. let me talk to you about gender sometime. i'll have fun. and now i can wonder why I put that first); rather short; quite shy or quite talkative, cheerful and friendly; magpie-like; bisexual; curious; in love with life and nature; a quiet observer; but also a true player in this great play that is life; a reader; a writer; an artist; a creator and a destroyer; the lord and ruler of the lands in my head; crazy, but in a (mostly) good way; a paradox: the cheerful goth; a fan of Shakespeare; a philosopher; a pagan; an actor, or at least I once was. . .the list goes on.

My favorite colour is green; my favorite number is 3; my favorite weather is rain storms, preferably accompanied by lightning; my favorite flowers are mock orange and roses and many others; my favorite smell is lavender; my favorite flavor of ice cream is either coconut or green tea, depending on my mood; my favorite type of music is Celtic; my favorite author is Neil Gaiman; my favorite artist is currently Amy Brown; my favorite subject to write about for fiction is faeries and for non-fiction, philosophy; my favorite sport is rock climbing; my favorite sound is the sound the crickets make; my favorite time of day is early evening around sunset; my favorite taste is either strawberries or mint; my favorite. . .well, that list goes on as well.

I have long hair that is usually dark brown with red and copper and blonde highlights but currently is a little darker and has purple highlights as well, and I've been told that it is very soft. My full height is approximately 5 feet 3 inches, or so I think. My eyes, I have been told, are full of many colours but I think are mostly green or blue or somewhere in between, and I wear contacts but never glasses. I have no idea how much I currently weigh, but I am neither fat nor very thin. I think. I usually wear dark colours, almost always black, though sometimes a little green or blue creeps into my wardrobe. If I'm wearing blue jeans chances are they have writing all over them, in permanent marker. I like striped socks and am building a collection of them. During the spring and summer I often have flowers in my hair. I almost always wear ear cuffs and my one pair of earrings--celtic knots. Now I always wear a green, red and black, um, whatsitcalled, friendship bracelet? or something wrapped twice around my wrist, it was given to me by. . .um, someone special . And a black ribbon around my ankle. I hate wearing shoes, but if I have to I always wear my steel-toed combat boots, which are rather old and worn but I love them dearly. I have also been known to wear Ren garb often and at the oddest times and places, and usually do so to fairs that are not Ren faires.

I participate in activities such as rock climbing, boffing, table-top gaming and on a few rare occasions, LARPing, sailing, historical fencing, reading, writing, drawing, calligraphy, studying, watching movies, talking to friends, fidgeting, sleeping, cleaning my room, eating, drinking (not alcohol, despite my former self's reputation), dancing when I'm alone in my room, dancing at street fairs when there's good music playing and friends to dance with, reading Harry Potter slash fan-fiction, spinning in circles, working in the garden, wandering around downtown, poking around in bookstores, drinking tea, playing with fire, enjoying nature, breathing the power and life around me, studying the world and everything in it. . .

I could go on for quite a while, and I like to think this is not due to being horribly self-centered, rather to being incredibly self-aware . This is only the surface, this is not as much detail as I can give. But it is a start, and this post is growing quite long.

I'm Back! ...sort of.
SQUAWK!
Lady Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:47 PM   #18
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I have recently been told that defining me is almost impossible. What with my wild mood swings that can leave any one injured for life, and with my schitzophrenic nature I am unpredictible every minute of every day. Even the woman who gave birth to me constantly reminds me that I am the wierdest and strangest individual she has ever met.

To name me would take almost a life time, as I go by many names. These range from Vamp to Poison Ivy, and even 'that f***ing bitch!' But to tell the truth my real name is pretty plain and boring.

At the age of 17 I haven't done much in my life. I supose like many teenagers I fit into the 'lazy bum' catagory, prefering to live my life as fun as possible. I live by the motto 'live fast, die young'. I smoke, I drink, I do drugs, and I would rather do these things now and later regret them and die before I am 30, than go through my 'younger years' missing out on all the fun that I have now.

Physically I hate my appearance and have no problem admitting that I think I'm ugly. I have self-confidence problems and although I tend to act crazy and don't give a damn what people think of me, I cannot do this with people I go to school with and see everyday - even if I want to.
My hair used to be a light brown with lots of natural highlights, which were slowly turning to closer to blond, but now, thanks to the use of dye, I'm now a chesnut brunette, with touches of red. My eyes are brown and my skin is often described as 'dead'. I don't mind this though, as I'm what people would call a 'goth'. But don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these nu-goths, I live my life dressing in clothes that have touches of the medieval and renessance periods.

Depression is also a factor that is used to describe me alot. I have spent the last few years in a deep pit, where all I could think about was suicide. I have also tried to end my life a few times, with the help of paracetamol at times and hanging at others. Each time it has gone wrong, which I supose I am thankful for. I am still depressed, but recently I have been prescribed medication to help this, though I rarely take it anymore - if I'm depressed I'm depressed, and I have to face that fact. I will cut myself badly but I am no longer suicidal, due to a reaccuring fear of finding out that there is nothing after life and any of my Pagan beliefes that I have followed are not true.

I am also bisexual, which I have recently shared with many of my friends. I am extreamly comfortable with this self-realisation and I am happy and proud to admit it to the world.

I enjoy many things, but the main areas I spend my time are reading, writing, drawing, watching movies, listening to music and of course photography, which I'm hoping to study at Art Collage the year after next, when I have finished my A Levels.

Oh and I'm English, and live in the Newcastle area, which has earned me the reputation as being a 'fierce Geordie', so if I get angry or are suffereing from PMT, you may not want to mess with me - especially if I'm wearing my steel toe capped Doc Martens.

Sorry - I tend to get carried away while I'm writing.....
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Last edited by Lalaith_Elf : 05-21-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #19
Vilya
Hobbit

I am also probably older than the average Mooter, though I do not consider age to mean much except for how many years I have lived on our planet. Sometimes I am only twelve and sometimes I am 65. However the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) keeps insisting that I am 34 years old. Of course they also insist that I am 5'4" tall, but I really think I"m 5" 10" judging by my personality.

I have reddish, brown hair halfway down my back and own every styling product known to mankind in a desperate attempt to stop it from going crazy all over my head. In other words its thick, wavy and usually frizzy without the styling products. My eyes are extremely dark brown, almost black but usually hidden behind my glasses. Contact lenses are too much trouble for everyday wear.

As far as personality goes I guess odd or eccentric sums it all up.
Old 07-14-2004, 04:36 PM   #20
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
(this is going to be long...sorry)

First impressions are always made by the way one looks. At first glance, I'm pretty drab. I have olive skin, brown eyes, and hair with a reddish-brown appearance. If one looks a little closer, they'll notice that my hair actually has around two inches of roots that are much darker and less red than the rest. Basically this gives the impression that while I enjoy experimenting with hair dye, I'm not afraid to let people know it's not my natural color. It's usually pulled back in an ponytail, with the unruly curls poking out and causing a frizzy mess that falls to the middle of my back. I have the type of crooked smile that some people see as endearing but I only see as an annoyance. I rarely wear makeup, but when I do it is done in such a way that isn't mean to cover up imperfections, but merely have fun creating art on my own skin. I am short and small, making me seem young for my age. I am also on the verge of being underweight according to a med student, but perfectly healthy according to doctors.

I have a penchant for wearing darker colors, but I'm not "gothic."
People tell me I have an eclectic style, and the label I would probably match the closest is "emo" or "geek." I prefer my square glasses to my more "chic" pair, and find contacts a hassle, but prefer my face without the glasses. My ratty converse low-tops go with everyting I wear, but I have a plethora of shoes. I also wear skirts on occasion, one I even made myself, but not to dress up, since I wear them like I wear jeans. I prefer t-shirts to tube tops.

Some deem me intelligent, I say I'm about average for my age and below average in brain power when compared to the people I hang out with regularly. I'm overly sensitive at times and extremely emotional. My spirituality is very important to me, but somewhat atypical of a midwestern girl, and politics are a growing interest since I came of voting age. Like most eighteen year olds, I'm not sure what I want to do with the rest of my life, but it is a life's dream to travel the world. I'm extremely opinionated and sometimes lack tact. My employers have told me I'm excellent at customer service, despite my claims of being impatient and having a small hate for the general public. I've been told I have a great subterfuge and am good at hiding emotions when I want to. Art is my passion, particularly singing and writing, though I dabble in visual arts as well.

Everyone says their parents are strange, but mine really are. I am the product of two black sheep.

I have a strange obsession with British slang and hope to live in Europe someday, as well as New Zealand. I'm a pragmatic romantic (I stole that term from a fellow 'mooter) and dont' believe in Hollywood love. I like to read and prefer tea or chai over coffee. My nails are never the same length and I've only had fake ones once, and I never will again.

I believe everyone in the world is odd in their own way.