Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2003, 03:53 PM   #1
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

Belgariad by David Eddings

Tell me, has anyone ever read these novels. If so talk about it here. I've read the Belgariad and Malorean. Have you?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

noi haven't read them, what are they about??

"I don't know why it does this! maybe i'm allergic to bras?"-Dee
turtlelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 12:24 AM   #3
Ulfethenar
Sapling

Hey zavron i was wondering if there would be a thread for such a series. I've read both series aswell as polgara (which i found to be rather boring how about you?) and belgarath which has to be one of my favourite books of all time.

How about the other series by the same authors the ellenium and the tamuli. I red the first of the taumli and lost interest very very quickly i didn't bother to read the rest.
Ulfethenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 08:42 AM   #4
Hans Moleman
Hobbit

I thought that polgara was the worst book ever !!

"Ahh my brain"
Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

fine ignore me everyone else does

Old 08-12-2003, 12:48 AM   #6
Ulfethenar
Sapling

Anyone who has read the series probably has a rather difficult time explaining in words to someone who hasn't read them what they are about is all i think. But i'll give it ago.

A young boy named Garion is raised on a farm by his aunty and is frequently visited by an old man. After Garion grows up he and his aunty leave the farm and Garion begins to learn about who he really is and who his family is. He finds that he can use magic, and eventually discovers what his destiny is. To face a near unbeatable enemy in battle to right a wrong that was done a very long time ago. Along the way he meets with a group of people gathered by the old man. The group are all identified by their place in the prophecy, a manuscript in which the old man places alot of stock though many others dispute it.

That's probably he best i can do without giving alot of it away. Hope it is helpful.
Ulfethenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 10:55 AM   #7
turtlelover
Elven Warrior

that sounds REALLY familliar! But it does sound cool thanks Ulfethenar

Old 08-14-2003, 07:51 AM   #8
zavron
Chieftain of The Order of The Blue Flame

Finally!! Someone else who has read them!! I haven't read Tamuli or the elenium though I do have the books. I've almost finished Polgara but I got bored of it and have not picked it up since. Belgarath is good but I prefer Belgariad. The Mallorean also is good. I liked them all so much I made my own Rp site about it. t's not very popular but I hop it will soon. If you want to join visit The Vale of Aldur
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gil- galad was an elven king.
Of him the harpers sadly sing:
the last whose realm was fair and free
between the mountains and the sea.

His sword was long, his lance was keen,
his shinig helm afar was seen;
the countless stars of heaven's field
were mirrored in his silver shield.

But long ago he rode away,
and where he dwelleth none can say;
for into darkness fell his star
in mordor where the shadows are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
zavron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:37 AM   #9
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

i just got the entire series yesterday in a 2 volumer set and ws wondering if there was a thread on them. seeing what you have to say makes me think they will be good to read and that my mom didnt buy me a book ill never read

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 02:20 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Loved the book! Almost as I loved LOTR. Silk is so funny! My favorite character, especially in the Belgariad. Polgara and Belgarath weren't as good as the first ten but... they were still good books.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #11
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

I know this is kind of an old thread, but I just recently discovered these books. I read Belgariad and loved them; great characters, great plot, excitement, humor, and overall a good series. My favorite are probably The Castle of Wizardry or The Enchanter's Game. I am now working on the Mallorean, and so far they are pretty good.

I'm glad to have found another good fanasty author.

Wanna play? www.thievesguild.com
Elvengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #12
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've always intended to give him a read but haven't gotten to it yet... what is the first book titled?
Old 04-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #13
Jabberwock
Enting

The Belgariad and the Mallorean are worth reading. The Ellenium is also worth reading. After that the Eddings couple lost their ability to write. Its not the best writing, and its certainly not going to win an award, but there are a lot of loveable characters and a some good stories in these books. Be warned, though, that the gods of the world have a lot to do with what's happening in the first hand sense. You get the idea that the story has been set and regardless of what the characters want to do, its going to happen regardless. I read these in my mid-teens and I liked them. I recently looked through them again and they werent as good.
Jabberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 06:21 PM   #14
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i've always intended to give him a read but haven't gotten to it yet... what is the first book titled?
Pawn of Prophecy is the first book of Belgariad.

In my opinion, the series gets better the farther you get into the story, so if you find the first kind of slow, they do get much better.
I agree with Jabberwock, they aren't the best books I've read, but there is a lot I like and I think it's worth it.

Old 04-09-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I think the first series, Belgariad and Malorean, were very good.

I was reading the Elenium, the newer series he wrote, and they were ok. But I was kinda disappointed - the jokes seems to repeat themselves, and I didn't have the same joy of reading it as the first books.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #16
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I have read them all and will read them again someday. I really like the way Eddings develops the characters. I also like the humor. Peace.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by Elvengirl
Pawn of Prophecy is the first book of Belgariad.

In my opinion, the series gets better the farther you get into the story, so if you find the first kind of slow, they do get much better.
I agree with Jabberwock, they aren't the best books I've read, but there is a lot I like and I think it's worth it.
thanks... i like to read, so even if it's not the best, it will be nice to try something new
Old 04-10-2004, 08:37 PM   #18
Elvengirl
Mirthful Maiden

good and let me know what you think

Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've just finished reading the Belgariad series. I enjoyed them, they were a fun read, which is something that fantasy seldom is. Usually, fantasy is about being serious, and going on a quest, and saving the world from certain Doom. Not that Eddings Belgariad series particularly strayed from this formula (aunt that wasn't what she seemed, strange old man, men in black, quests, prophecies, birthmarks and a special sword that only the Hero can wield all serve to put Eddings in a markedly unoriginal light), however, Eddings' series differs from the generic fantasy in the sense that his characters - while tending to be fairly uncomplicated in terms of the fantasy genre - were funny, and compelling. There is an element of humour prevailing through the series, and it was probably mostly due to Silk's various scraps that he got himself into that I continued reading the series. Eddings can spin a yarn that, whilst suffering from unoriginality, was still a decidedly fun read.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:26 AM   #20
Captain Stern
Elven Warrior

The Belgariad's enjoyable enough. Haven't read the 2nd series though. I don't think they're 'great' books. They're a little too light and naive. The ending was terribly dissapointing I think. "Nobody loves me... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Silly.

Nobody's mentioned Ce' Nedra! She's the best thing about the story. I think she's hillarious and, 'I' think, very cute. She's also made me look at Anne Robinson in a whole new way.
Then hate overcame Fëanor's fear, and he cursed Melkor and bade him be gone, saying 'Get thee gone from my gate, thou jail-crow of Mandos!' And he shut the doors of his house in the face of the mightiest of all dwellers in Eä.

Last edited by Captain Stern : 04-28-2004 at 07:29 AM.
Captain Stern is offline   Reply With Quote