Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-28-2001, 10:54 PM   #1
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

David Eddings Anyone?

After reading most of the Tolkien books multiple times, I stumbled onto David Eddings series The Begariad and the Malloreon, which I really like. Has anyone else read any of his stuff? What do you think? Happy reading.
Old 12-29-2001, 02:51 AM   #2
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Never heard of it...what's it about?

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 05:46 PM   #3
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

It is about a stuggle between good and evil (of course). It takes place in a fictional place and time with medieval technology. There are supernatural happenings, sorcerers, strange beasts, battles, etc. There is more humor it than in Tolkien's works. The characters are very highly developed. Eddings has written two series with five books, two trilogies, and a few others. There is even his version of the Silmarillion ( The Rivan Codex).

I hope I have not made it seem like Edding's stuff is similar to Tolkien's because it really isn't, other than the genre. Happy reading.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Talera
Sapling

David Eddings is fantastic! I loved the Belgariad and the Mallorean too. I haven't read the Rivan Codex though. Have you read his latest? The Redemption of Althalus? It was very good. Have you read the Elenium? I didn't think that was quite up to his usual standard as it seemed to be basically a re-run of the other series only with slightly different characters. Would you agree?
Talera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 07:00 PM   #5
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

Besides what I listed earlier, I have read Belgarath the Sorcerer, Polgara the Sorceress, and The Elenium. I am planning not to read The Rivan Codex. I am currently reading the first book of The Tamuli. When I finish those, I'll read The Redemption of Althalus, which I already have.

The Elenium and The Tamuli are somewhat similar to the earlier series. I just chalk it up to style. I am an English teacher, so I am analylzing literature quite often. When I read for fun, I don't analyze it too much. Peace.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:45 AM   #6
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I liked the Elenium and the Tamuli as much as his other books. Yes, the situations were similar, but the characters were differant, and they handled things in a differant way. I thought that they were so good that I have read all of those books five times at least

I haven't heard about Redemption of Althalus before. What is it about?
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
Haegondwen
Hobbit

i thought that the elenium and the tamuli were just as good as his other stuff. and MOST books have the same good vs. evil plot. i dont think that this series is as similar to the other as most people have said. i think Eddings's style is what make them so similar. the perspective of sparhawk (or whatever his name was) is so different than that of garion it makes for a totally different read. IMHO -H
Haegondwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:40 PM   #8
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I read most of the Belgariad and the Malloreon( this labrary hadn't the first book of the Belgariad ).
I liked them.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:11 PM   #9
silmälasi
Hobbit

good

i enjoyed the belgariad .
Old 03-26-2002, 06:18 PM   #10
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I just finished The Redemption of Althalus yesterday, so now I have no more Eddings to read.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
Haegondwen
Hobbit

i just picked that up from the library the other day. redemption of althalus, i mean. is it any good? im not even sure what its about, i just got it cause Eddings is so awesome.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:17 PM   #12
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

I've read the Belegariad, the Mallorean, Polgara the Sorceress, Belgarath the Sorceror, and the first two books of the Elenium. I didn't really like the elenium as much as the Belegariad and the Mallorean. I think it was mainly because I read those two series first and I got used to him using the same set of characters. He's a really good author though.
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 09:17 AM   #13
Haegondwen
Hobbit

Keep reading the Elenium, and the Tamuli, they are definitely worth it. maybe you should wait a little while before you start reading them again, so you wont be so upset with the different characters. all of his books are as rich as the others. its defintely worth it. the Elenium and Tamuli are just as awesome and different enough that you dont get annoyed as with some authors who use the same characters with different names.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:40 PM   #14
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Favorite Characters

Polgara and Belgarion are my favorite charcters, what about you?
TwirlingString is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 05:44 PM   #15
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Location: My mother would say somewhere between the adult mystery section and the YA sci-fi
Riven Codex

What's it about, I've never heard of it , but I've read everything else.
Old 04-15-2002, 09:04 AM   #16
Haegondwen
Hobbit

What's what about, Twirl? i just finished the redemption of althalus. it was really good, but weird to see what is usually a series squished into one book. definitely worth it though. does anyone know when his (thier) next stuff will be out? or if anything will be out at all?
Old 04-15-2002, 12:58 PM   #17
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I read the Belgerriad and the Mallorean I don't know if all the other books that he wrote was translate to hebrew.I can't read them in English.
I hope
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2002, 01:20 PM   #18
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Opps! THe Riven Codex, what's it about.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”
Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 AM   #19
Haegondwen
Hobbit

im sorry, i dont know what languages the books have been translated into Elbereth. ill try to check online

the Rivan Codex is the religious document that they follow all through the Belgariad. it was composed of ravings of supposedly madmen or farmers who were divinely inspired and stuff. the Eddings' wrote the whole rivan codex. there is another one, i think but i cant remember what it is. starts with an M or something.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:23 PM   #20
TwirlingString
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Haegondwen
im sorry, i dont know what languages the books have been translated into Elbereth. ill try to check online

the Rivan Codex is the religious document that they follow all through the Belgariad. it was composed of ravings of supposedly madmen or farmers who were divinely inspired and stuff. the Eddings' wrote the whole rivan codex. there is another one, i think but i cant remember what it is. starts with an M or something.
Maybe it's the Malloren, it's sounds like the books Polgara and Belgarath helped put together.
"The Astels are an emotional people. They cry at the drop of a handkerchief. Their culture is much like that of Pelosia. They're extremely devot and invincibly backward. It's been demonstrated to them over an over that serfdom is an archaic, inefficent institution, but they maintain it anyway--largely at the connivance of the serfs thmselves. Astellian nobles don't exert themselves in any way, so they have no concept of human endurance. The serfs take advantage of that outrageously. Astellian serfs have been known to collapse from sheer exhauston at the very mention of such unpleasant words as 'reaping' or 'digging'."

-----------------------------------------------

“They lost him?!” Lupin asked , amazed. “Voldemort has been after Harry for 15 years, and then he misplaces him?!”