Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2003, 10:23 PM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

My hero...the Balrog???

Has it ever occurred to any of you that, at least in the movies, the Balrog plays a direct part in saving the fellowship?

They were facing certain slaughter in the main hall of Dwarrowdelf, when the orcs and goblins were coming from everywhere. Then the Balrogs lets forth his growl and they all scattered. He saved their butts bigtime.

When he is chasing them and causes large stones to come crashing down and break the stairway, he cuts off a possible path for the orcs to give chase.

Then of course, the bridge scene. Although Gandalf falls temporarily, that route is also cut off for giving chase.

Maybe had he lived, he should have been invited to Aragorn's wedding and join in the festivities!
Old 03-10-2003, 10:35 PM   #2
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

Do these instances agree with the book?
Old 03-10-2003, 10:50 PM   #3
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Well, the bridge of khazad-dum is broken in the book.

But, the stampede of thousands of orcs from everywhere and surrounding them hopelessly is not. Nor is the part where the stairway they are running on is broken apart by falling debris.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 PM   #4
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

I might add that I really liked the stairway and the falling debris part and the part about being surrounded.

But - I hate the way the orcs come from the ceiling and scale the pillars. That urks me to no end. The scene really works, though, when the Balrog scares them all away, and when the expressions on the faces of all the fellowship shows the real terror they are feeling.

Overall, Moria surpassed all my expectations...
Old 03-10-2003, 11:12 PM   #5
Celebriel
Elven Warrior

I loved the use of miniatures. But one CG part bgs me, when they run from the fire and Gandalf stares down the Balrog and then runs.

Anywho, the ord-close-ups were good.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
sobe1izard
Sapling

Gandalf

Thats a very interesting point you make. In fact if you research the books enough and understand tolkien, the balrog was not only the final test of Gandalf the grey, but the almighty creator sent the Balrog to transform Gandalf into the Protector and leader of the war known as Gandalf the white. Gandalf is actually an angel sent to protect the free peples of the planet.
sobe1izard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Actually, he was sent to unite the Free Peoples of Middle-earth (the North-western section) in the fight against Sauron, I believe.

Iluvatar sent the Balrog? I don't remember that!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:03 PM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Pfft. Lets see some evidence for that, mister! As far as I know, the balrog fled from the wreakage of the first age. And IIRC, one of Tolkien's letters says that even he isn't sure how the balrog came to be in Moria. To bad I'm too lazy to look it up.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:18 PM   #9
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Balrog_of_Morgoth
I hate the way the orcs come from the ceiling and scale the pillars. That urks me to no end. The scene really works, though, when the Balrog scares them all away, and when the expressions on the faces of all the fellowship shows the real terror they are feeling.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the orcs coming from the ceiling, weren't they goblins?
Is there a difference between goblins and orcs or are they the same race?

Can someone confirm that the balrogs were formerly maiar?

I really loved the first part of the TTT movie, were Gandalf was battling the balrog in free fall. Some people think it was bizarre to see an old man fight like Super man against that diablo-looking creature, but I think that the fight was very well done indeed and a pleasure to watch.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 03:38 PM   #10
Dunadan
The Quite Querulous Quendi

It says in the Silmarillion that the balrogs were maiar.

I totally disagree about the collapsing stair thing. It was completely ridiculous: wasn't there enough drama already? Or was it just an excuse to get some dwarf-tossing jokes in?

However, I did like the goblin hordes swarming out of every crevice. (I think that goblins were just northern orcs.)

I agree with you about the start of TTT - I couldn't believe I was seeing it. Can't wait for the DVD!

cheers

d.
Dunadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 11:08 PM   #11
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Actually, I think they were goblins, if we want to be technical. But my point is this: I don't care what they are, they shouldn't have some sort of magical, gravity defying ability to just run up and down smooth columns and cling to the roof like spiders. It's just not feasible.

I think the falling debris was really cool. That with the screams of the Balrog following them and apparently looking for a way to get to them (since he was so huge) was rockin!
Old 03-13-2003, 01:49 PM   #12
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

I agree about the Orcs coming from the ceilling, it just dosen't fit my impression of Orcs. And yes Orcs and goblins are the same race, Tolkien make that perfectly clear.
As far as the stairs I HATED that scence more the any other. Many because I hear PJ talk about being stressed for time and he throws in a huge action scence(theater version) that is not in the book instead of stuff to build the characters, namely the gift giving scene.

He talks about cutting stuff from the book that doesn't effect the story (Barrow Downs, Old Forest) to throw in action scence that have nothing to do with the story. Can you tell me, other then the visual excitment, why the stairway part was more important to the story the the gift giving?

As far as CG the stairway was great, but it had nothing to do with the story and the time they spent making that scence could have been used to finish Gollum instead of having a green creature in Moria.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 08:18 PM   #13
Pimpernel
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Melko Belcha
I agree about the Orcs coming from the ceilling, it just dosen't fit my impression of Orcs.
i thought the ceiling orcs were pretty kewl...and yesh i have read the books. but i thought that sorta added to the suspense..
but i agree with you about the whole thing: if PJ wanted to cut out things like the gift giving and bombadil just to add that in then kazoo poo on him...
just kidding, I only wish I was Eru...power is good..except I would get corrupted so know...and why am I writing all of this randomness that's popping into my head that you don't give a rat's tail about.....??
Pimpernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #14
Melko Belcha
Elven Warrior

The Orcs in Moria were just to inscet like for me, I know PJ said he wanted them to look like cockroachers, but I just didn't get it. My vison of Orcs is just different then what they did in the movie. I picture them the way Tolkien stated in Letters
Letter 210
Quote:
The Orcs are definitely stated to be corruptions of the 'human' form seen in Elves and Men. They are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes: in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types.
People will interpret it differently but I don't see them as so beastly. Same as the Balrog. Again from the same letter.
Quote:
The Balrog never speaks or makes any vocal sound at all.
It makes me wonder how much research PJ did or if he just didn't care.
Melko Belcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 01:18 PM   #15
aragorn_is_mine
Sapling

Strider

Lol, Now that i think about it, that is very true, apart from the bit where Aragorn would have invited him to his wedding, the Balrog would probably argue with everyone..oh yeah not to mention the constant flames.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:45 PM   #16
Legoles
Goddess of the evil smilies

Re: My hero...the Balrog???

You know I never thought of it that way but I really dont think the Balrog would'ove gotten invited........... probably cause it is big and scary!!!!!!!!!!!

PADFOOT LIVES!
Legoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #17
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Ya think??

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 12:34 PM   #18
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

im wondering, when gandalf says that swords are know use here, how come he kills the balrog in TTT with his sword?
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 04:41 PM   #19
Anadriewen
Enting

Well, he it shows that he somehow catches lightining with his sword to kill him...But I doubt that thats the right answer.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #20
Mrs Maggot
Enting

Hmmm… maybe Glamdring is a special sword…maybe it has powers that other swords don't?