Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Arwens Mortality.

I checked on the Eeee...Aragorn+Little Kid thread and began reading the posts. Ulmo stated this "She still had a significant amount of Elvish blood in her - even more than the amount in her uncle Elros' veins." in answer to Human#3.141592653's question of "If Arwen turns human she would age normally then, yes? Faster than her husband? So in the end, it might be Aragorn weeping over the grave of one lost to old age...."
But that gave way to another question. Why should Arwen die at all? What makes the elves mortal if they marry a human? Would a mortal woman become immortal if she married an elven man? Or would the elven man become mortal?
It's stupid, but just one of those questions you need to ask or else you're gonna go bonkers,
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #2
Laurus Nobilis
Enting

I don't know what makes the Elves mortal when they marry a human, but I can help with another part of your questions.

It's stated in the Appendixes that Aragorn died before than Arwen, though he was very old already. Then she went to Lothlórien and died there.
"...So the essential Quest started at once. But I met a lot of things on the way that astonished me. Tom Bombadil I knew already; but I had never been to Bree. Strider sitting in the corner at the inn was a shock, and I had no more idea who he was than had Frodo. The Mines of Moria had been a mere name; and of Lothlórien no word had reached my mortal ears till I came there. Far away I knew there were the Horse-lords on the confines of an ancient Kingdom of Men, but Fangorn Forest was an unforeseen adventure." ~ J. R. R. Tolkien
Laurus Nobilis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 08:06 PM   #3
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurus Nobilis
I don't know what makes the Elves mortal when they marry a human...
Isnt it just a choice given to a very select few elves in that situation that those with the the power to actually grant ask of them?

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #4
gimli7410
the dumb stoner canuck

im not sure she turned mortal but elves die when they are depressed and i am geussing that she was pretty depressed when aragorn died
"Trying is the first step to failure" Homer Simpson
"It isn't going to be easy"-jerseydevil
"only the good die young"
I AM CANADIAN

If the people lead, the leaders will follow.
gimli7410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:35 PM   #5
The Lady of Ithilien
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Isnt it just a choice given to a very select few elves in that situation that those with the the power to actually grant ask of them?
I used to think so, but then remembered that Legolas was very impressed by Prince Imrahil because he could see that the Prince had elven blood in his veins (I forget the exact quote). That would be from Nimrodel and Amroth's people, I guess. But Imrahil was mortal, and presumably his ancestors were, too, so.....?
Thus one should consider: "Being angry with another person, what can you do to him? Can you destroy his virtue and his other good qualities? Have you not come to your present state by your own actions, and will also go hence according to your own actions? Anger towards another is just as if someone wishing to hit another person takes hold of glowing coals, or a heated iron-rod, or of excrement. And, in the same way, if the other person is angry with you, what can he do to you? Can he destroy your virtue and your other good qualities? He too has come to his present state by his own actions and will go hence according to his own actions. Like an unaccepted gift or like a handful of dirt thrown against the wind, his anger will fall back on his own head."
Buddha
The Lady of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 09:45 PM   #6
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by The Lady of Ithilien
I used to think so, but then remembered that Legolas was very impressed by Prince Imrahil because he could see that the Prince had elven blood in his veins (I forget the exact quote). That would be from Nimrodel and Amroth's people, I guess. But Imrahil was mortal, and presumably his ancestors were, too, so.....?
I know that confused me too.

I think the only reason Arwen got to choose to die was because her father was a Halfelven.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:03 PM   #7
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

It is stated that Elrond gave his children a coice to stay in middle earth and be mortal after he leaves, or to leave and stay immortal, and since she chose to stay she became mortal.

Last edited by gollum9630 : 02-24-2003 at 12:09 AM.
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:36 AM   #8
Tar-Elenion
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurus Nobilis
I don't know what makes the Elves mortal when they marry a human, but I can help with another part of your questions.
The _only_ Elf to become mortal was Luthien Tinuviel. She was an absolute exception, and it took a direct intervention by God for that to happen.

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Tar-Elenion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:46 AM   #9
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

I thought Arwen did too...and I thought Elrohir and Elladan had the choice.

Also, I thought it was the Valar, not God? Although that does make more sense; as the Valar could not revoke the Gift He gave to the Edain, it would make sense that they could not give His Gift to Luthien.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #10
Aranwe
Enting

Arwen isn't exactly an Elf, she's half-elven, which is why she got to choose.

Elros, Elrond and his sons also got to choose. Elros became mortal, Elrond became immortal, and I haven't got a clue about his sons don't think it specifies which at any point.

Arwen does become mortal, she gives her place to Frodo. She could have either died of grief or because of her being mortal, but she explicitly states that by choosing to stay she will be mortal.

The confusing part in the movies is when Elrond is trying to persuade her to leave. It shows Aragorn old and dead lying on an altar, with a totally un-aged arwen by his side. Which would point to the fact that she is immortal. But I guess thats just a mistake by PJ?

Quote:
It is atated that Elrond gave his children a coice to stay in middle earth and be mortal after he leaves, or to leave and stay immortal
Elrond didn't give them that choice, that was just the choice that was forced upon them. Either by the Valar or Ea, not sure which, but half-elves couldn't stay in middle earth and be immortal after the fading of the elves.
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 10:54 AM   #11
Elf Girl
Lurker

Maybe Arwen couldn't choose to become "mortal", she could choose to die. Die, as in, die at this very moment. So when she chose to become "mortal", maybe she was saying, "I will choose to die when Aragorn does."

I'm sure I'm wrong though, please correct me!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 11:49 AM   #12
Aranwe
Enting

I never looked at it that way, it's a good theory.

One slight flaw, Arwen doesn't die right after Aragorn, she wanders alone in Middle-earth for a while before dying.

Maybe she became mortal when Aragorn died? That way she would only start ageing from that point, and so would take some time to die.

A bit far-fetched, but you never know...
Aranwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

Maybe when she chose to be "mortal" she was saying, "I will choose to die at some time in the future when I can no longer bear to live without Aragorn."
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:41 PM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Aranwe
The confusing part in the movies is when Elrond is trying to persuade her to leave. It shows Aragorn old and dead lying on an altar, with a totally un-aged arwen by his side. Which would point to the fact that she is immortal. But I guess thats just a mistake by PJ?
I was under the asumption that Elrond (in the movie) wasnt aware that she had "given away" her immortality to aragorn by choice. As represented by her little pendent thingy.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:16 PM   #15
Ulmo
Enting

Yes - the important thing is to remember Arwen is not an elf. She is a half-elf, whom Eru has given the choice between mortality and immortality.

No elf can just give up their immortality. Eru has to give them this choice, and that only happened once in the very rare case of Luthien, as Tar Elenion noted.

An article I wrote outlining the half-elven choice can be found here:

http://www.barrowdowns.com/faq_halfelves.asp

...take counsel with thyself, and remember who and what thou art.
Ulmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 03:21 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

The exact words in Appendix A are "Arwen became as a mortal woman." This is just after Elrond has left. So my best guess is that the choice was hers until he left, and as that boat left, so did her immortality. I happen to think she died because she was mortal, but the grief she felt played a role, not unlike many elderly people today who, upon losing their spouse, become a shadow of their former selves, and eventually succumb to death, whereas if they had been single, or if they had preceded their spouse, they may have lived longer.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 05:06 PM   #17
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Ulmo and azalea, I agree with what you said about Arwen's mortality.

About the death of Arwen: It was said that she was "not yet weary of her days" when Aragorn laid himself down to die. But she lived less than a year after Aragorn's death, then she also chose to die.

I can very well understand the grief of Elrond, who was parted from his daughter "by a doom beyond the end of the world". But I don't quite understand Arwen's devastating grief at Aragorn's death. She had chosen to become like a mortal woman, and share the Doom of Men. Wouldn't that imply that she would meet Aragorn again, after death? Aragorn says to her:
Quote:
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! We are not bound forever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory.
Aragorn lived up to his name. he had Estel.
Old 02-24-2003, 11:32 PM   #18
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Thats what iwas saying, It was her choice until Elrond left.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
Old 02-25-2003, 12:57 AM   #19
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Wait. I have a couple of theories, but if they make any sense I dont know.
#1. If Arwen gave Frodo her place on the boat, then maybe they traded their mortality? So then Frodo became immortal, and Arwen became mortal. But if that's so then what about Sam and Gimli? Who traded with them? Or was it the Ringbearer thing coming up again?but then Gimli wasn't a Ringbearer or an elf...just an elf friend. Aragorn was an Elf friend too...or is there a difference?*shrugs*
#2. What if Arwens Immortality was confined in the Jewel she gave Frodo after her wedding? So if she gave it away then Frodo would become immortal. But that's stupid so...
Help
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:11 AM   #20
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

For the first, because Frodo and Sam were ringbearers they had to go, and Gimli was invited by Legolas, immortality had nothing to do with, and for the second one, that is what i thought as well, but i am not to sure about it.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes