Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2003, 08:01 PM   #1
Balrog_of_Morgoth
Elven Warrior

Mckellen versus Connery

I remember reading all the rumours a few years ago regarding Sean Connery being cast as Gandalf. I liked the idea, and can remember being dismayed when I found out otherwise.

Now that I have seen the movie, I can't imagine anyone but Sir Ian playing the role. I think he simply "is" Gandalf, and loved his acting.

I suspect Connery would have been great, but it may have been a bad thing to "see Sean Connery" behind the face of Gandalf, since we are all so familiar with him from 007 movies, etc.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-22-2003, 08:49 PM   #2
hobinator
Enting

i dont think connery would have been good for the role, everytime i would think of LOTR i would think of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL, Connery wouldnt have been serious enough, i think, for the role of Gandalf
hobinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:51 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think it was good that they kept away from the most famous of the famous, such as James Bo... ummm... Sean Connery. Can you imagine if they used someone like Leonardo D. for Frodo!?!?! ugh! And Ian is such a good actor it took zero seconds for me to forget what a frightening Richard III he played, or that danged Magneto in X-Men. When he looked up from under that pointed hat, it was Gandalf for me.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:29 PM   #4
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn
The Elven Queen Of All Pyros

Location: Im like a little bug stuck in the lamp...never going anywhere
i could not imagine it with sean connery

Procrastinators Unite!!!.....tomorrrow....

Kids in backseats cause accidents...accidents in backseats cause kids

As long as there are tests..there will be prayers in school
Legolas_Frodo_Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:39 PM   #5
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Hmm, I don't know that he would have been a very good Gandalf, but I like Connery way more than McKellen! He's a good actor, but Connery is as well, and he's just too cool! However, I think McKellan (McKellen or McKellan?) is definitely better for Gandalf.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:40 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I like Sean Connery but I don't think he would have inhabited the role as well as Sir Ian does.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 09:42 PM   #7
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

I likek Sean Connery but I don't think he would have inhabited the role as well as Sir Ian does.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:56 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Wow, you really wanted to get that across, huh?

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 10:17 PM   #9
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Sorry for the double post
Old 01-22-2003, 11:12 PM   #10
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

I think Sean Connery would have done really well as Gandalf, however, now I can't see anyone else but Sir Ian in the role. He is just perfect for that role. That's why it was rumored he'd be the new Dumbledore. I'm glad it's not true. Gandalf can't be in Harry Potter! But it will be hard to replace Richard Harris.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 11:53 PM   #11
Millane
The Dude

i dunno i probly just cant see it because i am so used to Sir Ian but i can certainly imagine Daniel Day Lewis as Aragorn even though Viggo was awesome
Old 01-23-2003, 12:47 AM   #12
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by hobinator
i dont think connery would have been good for the role, everytime i would think of LOTR i would think of Celebrity Jeopardy on SNL, Connery wouldnt have been serious enough, i think, for the role of Gandalf
Ha ha! Thats too funny. I can just see it now:

Sean C: Alecsh Ill take "Me Nasty" for 300.

Alex T: uh.. thats MINAS TIRITH! How did you get that pen in here!

Sean C: OH HO HO HO HO!! OH HO HO!!

Alex T: thats IT Im demoting you to ring wraith!

but anyway I think Ian is just perfect for the roll. I wouldnt want anyone else at all. But all the same it would have been interesting to see Patrick Stewart in the roll. I could definitely see that. Or Nicole Williamson who played the best wizard roll (as Merlin in excalibur) ever filmed in the history of movie making. ahem. just my opinion though.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:32 AM   #13
Huan
Elven Warrior

Ian McKellen is Gandalf. When he said "Bilbo. You still have the Ring in your pocket," it sounded exactly as I heard it in my imagination. As for Merlin in Excalibur, some would debate whether he is the best wizard "in the history of movie making," Insidious; my Arthurian Literature professor thought he was the worst thing in the movie! But I too love his portrayal. "That's it! That's it!" Sometimes I walk around just saying that to myself.
Huan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 01:47 AM   #14
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Huan
Ian McKellen is Gandalf. When he said "Bilbo. You still have the Ring in your pocket," it sounded exactly as I heard it in my imagination. As for Merlin in Excalibur, some would debate whether he is the best wizard "in the history of movie making," Insidious; my Arthurian Literature professor thought he was the worst thing in the movie!
utter and complete sacralidge! he obviously has something against classically trained british actors with 30 years of stage experience.

Quote:
But I too love his portrayal. "That's it! That's it!" Sometimes I walk around just saying that to myself.
"Whats this! Whats this!! I never saw this!!"

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 12:48 PM   #15
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Oh dear. My imagination sails forth:

Frodo: Why weren't you at Bree, Gandalf?

Gandalf: I am sorry, Frodo. I was delayed. The friendship of Saruman is not to be shaken nor stirred lightly.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:16 PM   #16
azalea
Long lost mooter

LOL, Arathorn, that was a good one!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2003, 03:20 PM   #17
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
Oh dear. My imagination sails forth:

Frodo: Why weren't you at Bree, Gandalf?

Gandalf: I am sorry, Frodo. I was delayed. The friendship of Saruman is not to be shaken nor stirred lightly.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:16 PM   #18
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I'm glad Sean Connery didn't get the role, even though I love his voice. There are already too many jokes about Elrond/Agent Smith. I couln't take Gandalf/Bond jokes as well. Although Arathorns line in Rivendell would be funny.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:03 AM   #19
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Although the movies have been cast wonderfully in my opinion, I think that the characters that were cast the best were Gandalf and Saruman, I mean when I first saw the movies and both of them as them, I was so amazed at how much they made the characters like I thought they were.

LOL, the thing about Elrond/Agent Smith, when my friends and I first saw the movie and saw who was playing Elrond, I leaned over and said "Mr. Anderson", lol, I kept saying it everytime he was on screen
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2003, 12:54 AM   #20
Aeryn Evenstar
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
LOL, the thing about Elrond/Agent Smith, when my friends and I first saw the movie and saw who was playing Elrond, I leaned over and said "Mr. Anderson", lol, I kept saying it everytime he was on screen
My little brother and his buddy do the same thing. They always quote Hugo, "I'm going to enjoy watching you die, Mr. Anderson." Funny for awhile, now it's getting anoying.
Aeryn Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote