Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2003, 10:55 PM   #1
Pippin Skywalker
Enting

So...How Will Eowyn Fall In Love With Faramir?

In the books Faramir is good, kind, and I imagine him with a slight sense of humour. But in the movie he is grim, serious and not that friendly...how is he going to win the heart of Eowyn? That is one problem with Faramir's changed character. He is great in the books because he sort of gently turns her heart to love him....who says Tolkien wasn't a romantic lol!

Note: That was not an actual quote from J.R.R. Tolkien's novel!
Pippin Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:02 PM   #2
ugo
Sapling

He'll get her drunk then take advantage.
ugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 11:04 PM   #3
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I disagree, we have't really seen Faramir and his character much, but we do catch a glimpse of his true character when he releases them.....
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:36 AM   #4
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I think that the true essence of Faramir...his kindliness, mirth, bravery, loyalty and wisdom; all of those things that the book Faramir had will come out with time. In TTT he had alot on his mind. Mordor was attacking his country, Isengard was attacking his country's only allies, his father ignored him and indeed hated him, and to top that all off there's the Ring pulling on his weakness for power and regognition. But Faramir is going to show his true colors when Aragorn and Gandalf arrive. The falling in love wont be too hard to carry out. Now if Faramir decides to follow Frodo as I've heard rumor of... Just Kidding. It'll be fine.
Cheers,
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:08 AM   #5
Millane
The Dude

maybe he will pull one of Wormtounges moves and go from the creep point. what i always thought is that Faramir was second prize so perhaps PJ'll be blunt about it and have her try and score Aragorn but he knocks her back so she grabs Faramir and says "you'll do"... i know that these may seem a little unlikely but there is always that little chance...
Old 01-19-2003, 10:13 AM   #6
Celebréiel
Elven Warrior

I hope Pj doesnt do some huge sappy love thing and play on the supposed love triangle and make it all dramatic *shrugs*No, Im just hoping they have more of Faramirs true personality in RoTK!
~Celebréiel
Celebréiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 10:16 AM   #7
Millane
The Dude

exactly nobody likes sappy these days that why they should go Ugo or my ideas, theres absolutley no sappy in them
Old 01-19-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

I agree with samwise of the shire. We've only gotten a glimpse of the Movie Faramir's character in TTT.

It would be illogical to have Faramir smile and joke around with Frodo and Sam in the midst of battle. He had grave matters on his mind, not the least of which was the ring. The bottom line is that he showed his true colors when he overheard Sam's speech and let Frodo go.

The movie audience will understand him much better after the Extended DVD of TTT and in ROTK.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
I agree with samwise of the shire. We've only gotten a glimpse of the Movie Faramir's character in TTT.
I SAID THAT!!!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 01-19-2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Hopefully they don't do anything like that roll-in-the-grass one between Anakin and Padme.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 01:12 PM   #11
Black Breathalizer
Elf Lord

Anyone who doubts Peter Jackson is a great film director only needs to look at the difference between how George Lucas handled Padme and Anakin and how Jackson has handled Aragorn and Arwen as well as the attraction of Eowyn towards Aragorn.
Black Breathalizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 07:55 PM   #12
Evenstar1400
Elven Warrior

the padme and anakin thing sucked. it was funny rather than romantic. i mean the part where they're arguing over having/not having a relationship and anakin is drooling over padme's dress........ getting off topic, sry.

anyway i think faramir will either see eowyn and follow her and attempt to talk to her, or he will walk in on her as she's standing on a balcony.

or maybe eowyn will see him first, wonder who he is, and then will somehow get his attention, so she can find out who he is.

i'll be happy as long as its not like the padme/anakin thing.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:30 PM   #13
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Breathalizer
how Jackson has handled Aragorn and Arwen as well as the attraction of Eowyn towards Aragorn.
I really liked how he has handled the Aragorn/Eowyn thing. You can tell they love each other and really want to be together, however you can also see that Aragorn knows he can't go for her, because of his love for Arwen. It is like they are lovers that just can never be together. The way I read their relationship in the books is the exact way it has been portrayed in the movies, I was very pleased about that

--Linaewen
Old 01-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #14
Draken
Elf Lord

It could be resolved this way:

EOWYN: So, Aragorn, you're sticking with the elf chick?
ARAGORN: Yep.
EOWYN: And Faramir, you're more interesting brother with the Yorkshire accent is DEFINITELY dead?
FARAMIR: Yep.
EOWYN: (sighing) Oh well any port in a storm...fancy a snog Faramir?

....or am I?
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:39 PM   #15
Noahamir
Hobbit

In the book, Eowyn knew nothing really about Faramir (except as the younger son of Denethor) before meeting him in the house of healing. It was there first ever meeting.

So technically, it doesn't matter "when" PJ made Faramir more of the noble character we know from the books as long as it happened before he is injured. Eowyn won't know the difference that we as the audience are aware of.
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:49 PM   #16
Lady of Rivendell
Hobbit

I am HOPING that they stick pretty close to the book on Faramir/Eowyn.....those scenes in the book are extremely well executed IMHO....Faramir just keeps after her until she sees the truth herself.....

I wasn't thrilled with Faramir's presence in TTT but as the others have said, he'll have a lot more screen time in ROTK and i think we will see what his true nature was intended to be.

"No," said Faramir, looking into her face. " It was but a picture in the mind. I do not know what is happening. The reason of my waking mind tells me that great evil has befallen and we stand at the end of days. But my heart says nay; and all my limbs are light, and a hope and joy are come to me that no reason can deny. Eowyn, Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan, in this hour I do not believe that any darkness will endure!" And he stooped and kissed her brow.
Lady of Rivendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:43 PM   #17
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
ooooohhhhhh i know how its gonna happen!

THEORY!

When Faramir gets hurt, he changes into nice wonderful Faramir in the books. That would be pretty cool right? Tell me I'm right!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:34 PM   #18
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I think she won't fall in love but marry according to custom, tradition, and her people's needs, and so will be put into the one thing she fears: a cage! It's depressing. I think I'll be Eeyore today.

Even Shadowfax doesn't have to be saddled, so why must Eowyn? huh?!

Last edited by Elfhelm : 01-21-2003 at 05:38 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:08 PM   #19
Noahamir
Hobbit

I don't think marrying Faramir would be a cage.

It seems like of all the men in LOTR, he is the most open-minded of them all. I think there would be alot of mutual respect between them.

Plus they go to live in Itilien (sp?) which is still a pretty wild area and unpopulated. She should be able to get plenty of adventure there as compared to returning and sitting around Edoras.

Who knows how much respect she still craves. She killed the King of the Nazgul's, for pete's sake. She might desire some peace and quiet after that.

(I was going to say something about how Shadowfax might not be saddled, but still being ridden bareback and how that might be applied to Eowyn, but I bite my tongue.)
Noahamir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #20
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Yeah, to me she is like one of the mearas and I don't think she would allow any but the one of her choosing, etc... Which is a cool thing that I think when she snaps out of Grima's little attempt at hypnotism. He stand a better chance of riding Shadowfax!

Yeah, maybe Faramir will turn out to be cool. It's just turning my stomach to think of Eowyn settling for second best.

FWIW, my Faramir would have been more traditional and respectful of the council of the wise.