Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-02-2004, 05:42 AM   #1
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

On Love

I am beginning to really like the General Forum I used to only visit the Tolkien boards, but now I find myself doing just the opposite.

I thought it would be interesting if I shared some of my English work done for my senior High School's class last year. Wow, that was a badly arranged sentence.

It's just a journal entry for my English class, but I think it can be very topical. Feel free to post any thoughts about it.

Quote:
There is something terribly dangerous about the interpretation of love. Love can be for one person a bitter enemy, a devoted friend, or a nonexistent entity, doomed to be not.

Love may be mistaken for love. Allow me to explain: there is love, the strong feeling one feels for an understanding companion in life, and there is Love, the ultimate feeling of devotion, the ocean of bliss we at times fall into with a soul mate. It is Love, not love, that we romanticize, that we long for when we do not have it, that we live for when we do. Yet love is personal, both True Love, and the love of friendship--I speak particularly of True Love. It may be felt by him for her, but not her for him--in which case, it may not be True after all.

Let us examine this. A young man professes to be wonderfully in Love with a young woman, but the young woman believes her love for him is only of friendship. Can they both be right? Let us assume for a moment that one is wrong--what then? If one is wrong, then who? I am convinced that if only one is right, then it is the young woman, for how can the young man be in love with her, if she is not in love with him. He is either swimming in Love with her, or he is swimming in Love alone.

Yet I wonder: can anyone swim in True Love alone? No, I no longer believe so. Did I say that Love is a personal thing? I take it back--Love is an inter-personal thing. It must--if it is true, be shared by two people; where it is felt by one, but not the other, it is powerful longing, like unto a river that may find the sea ... but may not.

The interpretation of love is dangerous because love, or Love, is easily misunderstood, mistaken, and mixed up. Love is not relative, but the theories regarding its nature are various and manifold, and most understand it not at all.

I do not claim to know True Love better than the next person, but in this writing I think I have taken a few steps closer towards realization of the truth.

I think so, because the river is mine.
Keep in mind I did not attempt to tackle ideas about love as compassion, and I do not attempt to with this thread.

Criticisms (on the content, not the writing style [which would belong in the writer's forum]) are most welcome, as well as any other ideas about what I have said here, and your ideas of love are welcome.

Last edited by Ñólendil : 11-02-2004 at 05:45 AM.
Ñólendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 03:42 PM   #2
Sween
im quite stupid

Ahhhh we are trying to sum up love i dont think there has been any amount of books songs or poem written that sum it up we have the word love to try and convay an emotion that we cannot convay.

I love my girlfriend i have no idea why i do but i do. I love the way she looks in the morning i love the fact she dont mind farting i just love her full stop if she has a fault its i feel i dont deserve her but then again she says the same about me so i dunno we have just called a truce on that argueement!

Love can be held by one person for another but is it love the act of love is a connection and i think a connection is what mainly love is. Its something you connect with or hold dear i love my car! does my car love me of course it doesnt its a machine but i am connected to it so that love exists. I love my country! does my country love me? What is my country it is mearly a peice of land its not possiable for me to love me for England to love me everyone and everything in it would have to know who i am wouldnt they?

Put simply i think love and hate are the two words we use when we have an emotion that we cannot ever fully jusify
Old 11-02-2004, 10:04 PM   #3
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I have to say that I basically agree with the content. A good distinction, and an important one.
Old 11-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #4
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Love acts.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Love acts.
All read and be amazed... a two-word post from R*an!

I'm just kidding around buddy.

But seriously... how does love act? I believe it acts differently for different people. For some, it makes them do odd things to win the attentions of their love, for others it gives them a new perspective on life, etc. For some people love turns their guts to jelly but they never reveal their true feelings.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 05:45 PM   #6
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Love... is the light of a distant star which guides a man as he walks alone through the dark of night.

Marriage... is the hole he falls into for not looking where he's going.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:15 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Love is something made up by bad teenage movies to make us grow up with ridiculous ideals and ultimately be depressed because we didn't live happily ever after.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:37 PM   #8
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by R*an
Love acts.
Are you referring to active love? From...you guessed it... BROTHERS K!!!

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 06:39 PM   #9
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Love is utterly subjective, which is why a man can be in love with a woman, but the woman feels indifferent to the man.

Starr- Feeling a little angsty, m'dear?
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
Love is utterly subjective, which is why a man can be in love with a woman, but the woman feels indifferent to the man.

Starr- Feeling a little angsty, m'dear?
When am I not?

Eh. I've given up on relationships. Who would have me for the rest of their lives? I'm going to be a cat lady instead...as long as I feed their fluffy butts and scritch them, they'll love me.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:07 PM   #11
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Ack! LOL!
Old 11-04-2004, 08:12 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starr Polish
Love is something made up by bad teenage movies to make us grow up with ridiculous ideals and ultimately be depressed because we didn't live happily ever after.
Oh no! Love is very real! Now the "happily ever after" bit is a crock......
Old 11-04-2004, 08:47 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Good one, Nurvi!

(and that was a THREE word post until I typed this to point it out!)

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 11-04-2004, 08:49 PM   #14
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I don't remember that!?

(and THAT was a 4-word post! This is fun!!)

Old 11-04-2004, 11:40 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Love... is the light of a distant star which guides a man as he walks alone through the dark of night.

Marriage... is the hole he falls into for not looking where he's going.

*lol* Silly Karl.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:49 PM   #16
Rían

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
Merc - I'm sorry to say I don't remember that phrase - where/what is it?

Here's another short pithy enigmatic comment on love, just because I'm in the mood - love is a choice.

And another - love is wonderful! awesome! amazing!

Old 11-05-2004, 05:51 PM   #17
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Love takes time.....
Old 11-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #18
Rían

Ok, let's see ...

Love makes things beautiful

Old 11-05-2004, 10:42 PM   #19
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

Love is lovely.
Old 11-06-2004, 04:16 AM   #20
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Everyone's entitled to say what they want about love, but I wasn't quite going for enigma. *shrugs*

"Love acts" and "Love is a choice".

What do you mean by these statements?