Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-20-2002, 12:22 AM   #1
Maedhros
The Tall

Where the Númenóreans destined to perish?

Even thought with all the gifts that the Valar and Eldar gave the Númenóreans, were they destined to be trapped by jealousy towards them. Couldn't they have saved their city and land. Was this their destiny?
From the Published Silmarillion:
Quote:
Now this yearning grew ever greater with the years; and the Númenóreans began to hunger for the undying city that they saw from afar, and the desire of everlasting life, to escape from death and the ending of delight, grew strong upon them; and ever as their power and glory grew greater their unquiet increased. For though the Valar had rewarded the Dúnedain with long life, they could not take from them the weariness of the world that comes at last, and they died, even their kings of the seed of Eärendil; and the span of their lives was brief in the eyes of the Eldar. Thus it was that a shadow fell upon them: in which maybe the will of Morgoth was at work that still moved in the world. And the Númenóreans began to murmur, at first in their hearts, and then in open words, against the doom of Men, and most of all against the Ban which forbade them to sail into the West.
And this was before Sauron had come to Númenor.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.

Last edited by Maedhros : 11-20-2002 at 12:29 AM.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
Nibs
Head Hollara

But not all felt that way, I'll point out. I think of it very much like Noah and the ark, because one could say similar things... "why save only two of each animal? The rest, which are many will perish in the flood. They're not to blame." And the answer, of course, is: there is no answer. What happened, happened, I suppose.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:45 AM   #3
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

You're asking about Silmarillion predestination basically, correct? If so, there is a thread already devoted to discussing this topic, called "Ilúvatar created Melkor evil?"

I don't think they were predestined to be destroyed, because they had free choice. And they chose the path of evil, and as a consequence were punished for their sin. Are you asking about predestination, or not?
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:22 AM   #4
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Perhaps a lot of side-switching went on within the Numenorian people and those that decided to keep faith with the Valar were spared and came to be with those who ruled western middle-earth.

BTW, aren't there Black Numenorians who also made it to M-E? I think 3 of their kings became Nazgul. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I only got this from the Tolkien Illustrated Enyclopedia.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 11:17 AM   #5
Nibs
Head Hollara

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
BTW, aren't there Black Numenorians who also made it to M-E? I think 3 of their kings became Nazgul. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I only got this from the Tolkien Illustrated Enyclopedia.
I thought a lot of Numenoreans went to Middle-Earth, but most mixed with the "lesser" men. I'm not sure about your question, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
Maedhros
The Tall

Quote:
You're asking about Silmarillion predestination basically, correct?
No.
Quote:
Are you asking about predestination, or not?
No. I'm asking about human nature. You have the Númenóreans who had basically everything that a civilization of Men ever had, and still they ended up being destroyed. I wonder if that is how Tolkien view humans, I wonder if we are destined for failure in his eyes.
2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
As a noun American is:
A native or inhabitant of America.
A citizen of the United States.

Then the boy asked, “What is America then?”, and the wise man looked at the dictionary again:
1. The United States.
2. also the A·mer·i·cas. The landmasses and islands of North America, Central America, and South America.

Confused, the boy asked, “Does the term american refers solely to a us citizen or to any person in North, Central or South America?”
The wise man replied: “What do you think?”, and the boy answered: “It is clear to me that while the term american is used to refers to us citizens, one can also use it to refer to any person who is from that continent too,” the boy thought for a while and asked the wise man, “Am I right?”, and he replied: “But of course.”
The boy wondered, why is it that some people refuse to acknowledge the fact that the term american refers not only to US citizens but to anyone of the American continent?, but then sadly, the boy understood, that it is the calamity of ignorance.
Maedhros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:03 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I don't think that the numenoreans suffered from anything that wasn't common to man. almost everybody fears death, and only a few enlightened souls ever willingly give up their lives. The numenoreans simply fell back from the wisdom they had achieved to the foolishness of the shadow-men.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:33 PM   #8
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Maedhros
No. I'm asking about human nature. You have the Númenóreans who had basically everything that a civilization of Men ever had, and still they ended up being destroyed. I wonder if that is how Tolkien view humans, I wonder if we are destined for failure in his eyes.
This made me think of a passage from Letters, #338:
Quote:
...a tale supposed to refer to the end of the reign of Eldarion about 100 years after the death of Aragorn. Then I of course discovered that the King's Peace would contain no tales worth recounting; and his wars would have little interest after the overthrow of Sauron; but that almost certainly a restlessness would appear about then, owing to the (it seems) inevitable boredom of Men with the good: there would be secret societies practising dark cults, and 'orc-cults' among adolescents.

Last edited by Artanis : 11-20-2002 at 04:35 PM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 08:46 PM   #9
Lollypopgurl
Elven Warrior

Well, they had everything they could possibly want. The only thing they are lacking is immortality. And if Elros had just chosen to be immortal, they would have it.

Maybe the Númenóreans had it too good.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:59 PM   #10
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lollypopgurl
Well, they had everything they could possibly want. The only thing they are lacking is immortality. And if Elros had just chosen to be immortal, they would have it.

Maybe the Númenóreans had it too good.
If Elros had chosen to be an Elf then there would have been none of it. He would have then been an Elf, like Elrond.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:06 PM   #11
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Quote:
Originally posted by Arathorn
.BTW, aren't there Black Numenorians who also made it to M-E?
Lot of Westerneese of faithful, Kings Men (Black), and prior to that schism went to ME. They had colonies up and down the littorial, including many south of the LoTR map (Numenor was fairly far south, southwest of Mordor). The center for the Kings men was Umbar. The other southerly colonies were near to Numenor and thus more likley dominated by Kings men. The faithful headed mostly to the northerly colonies to be farther from the king AND closer to the elvish kingdoms.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 09:13 PM   #12
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Since reading in HoME about mens downfall (to Melkor) myth of their immortality being taken from them or their mortal lifetime shortened, with Finrod then surmising the the later may have actually occured, I have begun to supect that the Westernesse longevity was not so much as a new gift (particularly since the Valar seem limited in their ability to make fundemental changes in such) but a RESTORATION of mans original lifespan which had been decreased in the past when they worshiped Melkor.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:18 PM   #13
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
Since reading in HoME about mens downfall (to Melkor) myth of their immortality being taken from them or their mortal lifetime shortened, with Finrod then surmising the the later may have actually occured, I have begun to supect that the Westernesse longevity was not so much as a new gift (particularly since the Valar seem limited in their ability to make fundemental changes in such) but a RESTORATION of mans original lifespan which had been decreased in the past when they worshiped Melkor.
Ahhh! I take it you are refering to the Athrabeth. Why do you think in the Silmarillion that it says "The years of the Edain were lengthened after their coming into Beleriand?"

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #14
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

In some part of HoME JRRT worked on the idea that Elven and Human boied are same at conception or birth, and that the physical differences (like lifetime) between them are made by the differences in the elvish and human spirits melded to them. He goes on to say that it are very hard to distinquish between Elven and Human infants and toddlers, but that the diferences become more visable as the grow up. This would explain the easy fertility in the mixed couples; the GENEs are the same species, but the spirit soul is different. This leads me into to a theory of the fading lifetime of the Westernesse, that as their spirits become more corrupt and oriented to Morgoth, with debased spirits, the more debased their physical body becomes.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:07 PM   #15
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Ahhh! I take it you are refering to the Athrabeth. Why do you think in the Silmarillion that it says "The years of the Edain were lengthened after their coming into Beleriand?"
The Edain were the faithful ones, weren't they, those of Men who eventually turned from Melkor and fled from him, westwards into Beleriand, and their lenghtened lifespan was a reward.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:19 PM   #16
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Artanis
The Edain were the faithful ones, weren't they, those of Men who eventually turned from Melkor and fled from him, westwards into Beleriand, and their lenghtened lifespan was a reward.
Could it also have been that the further west you went, the more your lifespan increased? Also, what about their exposure to the Eldar and living among them and their lifestyle?

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 03:30 PM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Sister Golden Hair
Could it also have been that the further west you went, the more your lifespan increased?
The phenomenon of the West attaining importance in Tolkien's work is interesting, because, as we know, Numeanore was based slightly on Egyptian culture. Now in the Dynastic Periods of Egypt, the West was very much an important aspect of the Egyptian Cult of the Dead. I understand that this was also the case for some Meso-American cultures as well. Sorta interesting how Tolkien appears to have taken the opposite, in that the West seems to home those that are long-lived or immortal. The west isn't usually used to represent longevity (the sun setting, and all.)

[/end ramble]
Old 12-13-2002, 03:34 PM   #18
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
The phenomenon of the West attaining importance in Tolkien's work is interesting, because, as we know, Numeanore was based slightly on Egyptian culture. Now in the Dynastic Periods of Egypt, the West was very much an important aspect of the Egyptian Cult of the Dead. I understand that this was also the case for some Meso-American cultures as well. Sorta interesting how Tolkien appears to have taken the opposite, in that the West seems to home those that are long-lived or immortal. The west isn't usually used to represent longevity (the sun setting, and all.)

[/end ramble]
Very interesting BoP.

Travel and Tourism Guide
Old 12-13-2002, 04:05 PM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Do I get a pat on the head with that?
Old 12-13-2002, 04:09 PM   #20
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants
Do I get a pat on the head with that?
Sure, How hard would you like it to be? Let me find my Grond. It is laying around here somewhere.

Travel and Tourism Guide