Old 09-23-2002, 10:18 AM   #1
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Black Numenoreans

I quote from a very, very old thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hernalt
Here's a pertinant paragraph from Lalaith's site "History of the Men of Darkenss in Rhun and Harad": rover.wiesbaden.netsurf.d...r_Men.html

""The King's Men, who were afterwards called the Black Númenóreans, corrupted by Sauron" (KR), cannot really be called Southrons. But their habitation around the huge natural firth and port of Umbar, where they had "established their dwellings in Middle-earth during the years of Sauron's domination, and they [had ] worshipped him, being enamoured of evil knowledge", (RK) put them into a position which allowed them to dominate Near Harad throughout the first millenium TA. After Umbar had been ethnically cleansed by Gondor, their survivors relocated to the Harad territories where they became tribal leaders. Therefore, they have to be reckoned as a part of Harad’s history. "After the fall of Sauron [in the War of the Last ALliance] their race swiftly dwindled or became merged with the Men of Middle-earth, but they inherited without lessening their hatred of Gondor". (KR) And ever after it was said in Gondor that in Harad a few fairly pure Black Númenóreans had survived, and that out of them the Dark Lord had recruited the powerful sorceror known as "the Mouth of Sauron"."

KR "Annals of the Kings and Rulers", Appendix A in: The Return of the King, 1965.
RK The Return of the King, 1965.
So the Mouth of Sauron came from a long pedigree of stuffed turkeys.
I've just noticed that Mouth of Sauron was about 80-85 years old when he made his famous speech. Same age than Aragorn, i think. I find it odd if the Black Numenoreans' "race swiftly dwindled or became merged with the Men of Middle-earth".

It seems that, at least in Mouth of Sauron, the blood of Numenor runs almost pure because he can live to old age. ¿Or was it, perhaps, because of his withcraft?
Old 09-23-2002, 11:07 AM   #2
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

Sauron had various life extension metods avilable to him, which were likely a recruitment tool for his top lieutenants.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote