Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 12:01 AM   #1
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Excuse me....

Khamul , about this post of mine .. [list=1][*]I wasn't 'starting a party' on my own behalf, and if I were a *enter name for whatever number of posts here* I wouldn't then either.[*]If I were into such I would spam out *enter acceptable number of posts here* posts and say 'hey, look at me! lets party! But I did read in the site TOS about spamming ...[*]My thread was posted more as a suprise to myself really and was an acknowlegement[/list=1]

I see most breeze by 100 in a day... I guess I have had it all wrong here... just go post lots of posts with few words in them or play some 5 word add-on story thread, or such instead of spending my limited time actually writing replies to the many good threads here and actually using some of the great features this site has. Oh but I 'only' posted 101 times here, so I obviously haven't made much, if any contribution to the community.

Ok I learned my lesson. You wont find me making the same mistake again. Sorry for wasting both yours and my time.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:08 AM   #2
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

hold on, Snowdog - please just consider this a miscommunication, Khamul must have had a bad administrator's day (I know last week the admins had some weird posts to deal with) - he's a nice guy and has kindly answered several of my stupid questions. Perhaps his post came off a little terser than intended. I enjoy your posts - please stick around.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 AM   #3
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Snowdog, I don't think Khamul meant to be unkind at all. He is just trying to do a job and has done well in a short amount of time. I have always enjoyed your posts and hope to enjoy many more. I think we have a misunderstanding here. Khamul is only enforcing policy, and I don't think he was rude, just being a moderator. That's his job. Give him another chance, and us.
Old 10-02-2002, 12:55 AM   #4
Snowdog

Well, whatever policy is, I guess I had it all wrong. Even though it was not my intention I obviously started a spam party thread of self agrandizement for a mere wqarrior (yes I'm being sarcastic), and for that I apologize (I am not being sarcastic in my apology). I never once said Khamul was 'unkind' or anything, and I'm sure he is doing his job to the best of his ability. This is good as I would expect no less from any of the site admin or mods. I guess my presumed harmless thread where I wished to show my appreciation to all the mooters for an enjoyable year plus crossed some line and the door was firmly slammed in my face. No warning, no edit no nothing. Like I said.. I get it now, and maybe in 5 years when I make 'Elf Lord' I will maybe again show my appreciation.

RÃ*an, you have been more than a sweetheart, and thanks !
Old 10-02-2002, 12:58 AM   #5
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

If I remember correctly, even you applied for the job. What would you have done? I don't think Khamul said you started a spam party anymore then you said he was unkind. It is seldom I ask members to stay that want to leave because of a disagreement in moderating, but I find you to be a beneficial member of the community. I would like it if we could put this behind us. I don't think it was meant to be a major problem.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:32 AM   #6
Snowdog

You are right, I did apply though I knew my meager 50 posts wouldn't qualify me. Nonetheless I offered my services. I would have most certainly handled it differently ..... I would have posted more than a couple sentences saying that postcount or time registered parties aren't allowed unless you have X number of posts, and state that I will lock the thread after I'm sure the poster has seen it or a response is made. Anyway, you are right Sister, its over. I never meant to cause trouble. I only stated how the abrubptness came across to me.

I will state here that what I look for in a Tolkien site is articulate, indepth discussions of the books of Tolkien, which since the movie release have become rarer and rarer on Tolkien sites in general. I dont, and never have gone for the name games, add on stories, netspeak and such, or general chat for the most part, so I will never rate on your scale of priviledge by post count. No problem. I can deal with that. If I am reading and see something I feel like replying to, I will, and they will be in the Tolkien section of this site... just as I have for the last year plus.

Goodnight.

Last edited by Snowdog : 10-02-2002 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:29 AM   #7
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Thank you for your nice compliment, Snowdog, but I can also be tough when I think it is called for. Would you please do me the courtesy of reading my entire post, and remember to make allowances for the difficulties of typing conversations instead of talking face-to-face (which I think was the cause of the original problem).

I must say I was very surprised at the tone of your post in response to Sister Golden Hair. She made a very generous response, and you responded with some sweeping generalizations that were, I think, uncalled for and certainly untrue.
Quote:
I see most breeze by 100 in a day... I guess I have had it all wrong here... just go post lots of posts with few words in them or play some 5 word add-on story thread, or such instead of spending my limited time actually writing replies to the many good threads here and actually using some of the great features this site has.
I certainly don't do 100 a day, and most of the people I see here don't, either. There are many great threads here.
Quote:
Oh but I 'only' posted 101 times here, so I obviously haven't made much, if any contribution to the community.
SGH and I both said we enjoyed your posts, so this was rather a slap at us, although I don't think you intended it (see? Easy for us to interpret it in a way you didn't mean, or did you mean it for us, too?)
Quote:
I guess my presumed harmless thread where I wished to show my appreciation to all the mooters for an enjoyable year plus crossed some line and the door was firmly slammed in my face. No warning, no edit no nothing. Like I said.. I get it now, and maybe in 5 years when I make 'Elf Lord' I will maybe again show my appreciation.
OK, I'm sorry you felt bad, but don't you think this was a bit much? I don't think Khamul "slammed" the door. He was terser than I would have written it, but cut him some slack. Again, I can easily imagine him saying what he did with a smile, which unfortunately you can't pick up when typing.
Now SGH makes another generous response, asking everyone to put it behind them, and calling you a "beneficial member", and again I would characterize your response as not trying to work to mend things, especially
Quote:
so I will never rate on your scale of priviledge by post count.
Now who are you referring to by "your"? SGH? How do you know what her scale is? Or who did you mean?

Well, I better stop now. What I really want to close with, though,
is that I have always enjoyed your posts, and you have always come across to me as a "gentleman", in the best sense of the word. If you have any interest in making one of the "Elder Elite" (from one of your posts a few weeks ago, remember?) (BTW, I am referring to me) happy, you will choose to let go of your feelings of being offended (which, BTW, both SGH and I were sorry to see happen - oh shoot, that sentence doesn't make much sense, but I hope you get the sense of what I mean), write it off to a miscommunication, and keep posting in the threads that you like. BTW, I just saw you posted in Writing in Tengwar, and I REALLY and SINCERELY hope you will keep posting. But please post more often, as it is a little disconcerting to reply to a post of yours and then not see an answer for a week. OK, lots of smilies (which I hate in normal life, they're so overused, but I use here a lot, to avoid the kind of misunderstandings which happened earlier)

Also, BTW, did you see the misunderstanding that katya and I had in the Tengwar thread a few posts up from yours? We cut each other some slack and assumed unintentional offense. Please reach out and mend some fences.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-02-2002 at 02:34 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 11:10 AM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ahh, come on Snowdog!!! Don't be so cranky! Khamul wasn't making a personal attack! Relax!! Have some fun....No chips on the shoulder allowed . Anyway, Please keep posting and enjoying, maybe you'll get around to answering my question/post on Live Concerts, it's been months...hmmmpt
Old 10-02-2002, 03:40 PM   #9
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

tch, lighten up.
if i posted a negative thread everytime i got mad at one of the admins or mods, then i would have been banned last march!
stuf happens, deal.
i know you prolly want this thread to die and to sink to the bottom of the moot, but i had to just tell you this. DON"T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. being a mod is harder than it seems. you have put your mean pants on sometimes.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:51 PM   #10
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Snowdog? you don't have to be mad on the admins. They are just trying to "clean" these forums, and sometimes they wrong too. They are just humans, you know. And if he was mad this day, or on your post from some reason, you don't have to be so... angry. And Khamul is a new moderator.

[Edit]Khamul was mean this time, because there are entmooters with less posts then him that have a title. But it's not so bad. I don't have a title either.

Last edited by Radagast The Brown : 10-02-2002 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:59 PM   #11
Snowdog

like I said, it took me a bit by suprise. No harm done and life goes on just as it had before I started that thread. I had a bad day, was trying to becheerful and acknowledge appreciation to the Moot (RÃ*an, 'your' means Entmoot, not SGH, and I was talking in general about the numbers game). IT was taken wrong and maybe it was a slow day here too. Whatever, no big deal. I will as I said in my last post, carry on as I have.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:10 PM   #12
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

The rational and effective method for resolving a difference or misunderstanding with a moderator or admin of a forum is by PM e-mail or other private communication. Posting a complaint thread, becasue it predominant effect is "Look at me!", rather than fixnig a problem, gives rise to the suspicion that your intent is to cause further trouble, rather than resolve anything. Please note that I make no accusation of ill intentions, I only describe the regular effects of the action, and a likely inference that may be made.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 10-02-2002 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 PM   #13
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

I'm sorry if it seemed like I was commenting in a negative manner. I didn't mean to imply that you had started a spam party or anything. I meant that purely as a figure of speech. I greatly appreciate the fact that you don't spam. It also seemed to me that (as you commented) the last part of your post was pretty much a thank-you message to the rest of the Entmoot, which is still un-edited and there for everyone to see. If I seemed rather abrupt, I am sorry. I was only trying to follow the rules. Perhaps I could learn to use a little subtlety. I meant no personal offense.

Psalm 107:31
Old 10-02-2002, 04:58 PM   #14
Khadrane
Elf Lord

I've read and re-read Khamul's post, and I don't see anything even close to (for lack of a better word) offensive about it. But that's just my opinion.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Old 10-02-2002, 07:05 PM   #15
osszie
Elven Warrior

I've just seen a thread closed by an admin........and their comment was, quote "*cough*"......not a mention of why it was closed, alternative ways to have the initial question answered (i.e. pm etc) or anything, c'mon admins we do not deserve that level of derision ......everyone messes up on a post now and again

For the record I do appreciate the work of the admins and moderators, I wouldn't post at all here if I didn't and I run an msn group of just 700 memebers and I know the nightmare of sorting/editing the trite from message boards but please HELP US if a thread is to be closed/has violated the rules of this forum tell us why!!
Old 10-02-2002, 08:32 PM   #16
Ben
Retired Ent

I quote from the rules:

Quote:
Threads proclaiming the status of your title are only allowed at the Elven Lord (500 posts) level, if attained 45 days or more after initial registration. (This is to discourage spamming).
We appreciate your kind words, but if everyone created a thread when they reached an apparent "post count milestone," the board would soon become cluttered with near-identical topics. Such threads have the potential to become the unfocused or trite topics that you don't like: how many different ways can someone say "congratulations"? We've had some people make an announcement every hundred posts, so unfortunately they forced the policy to be changed.

On the other hand, being a veteran message board member myself, I know that reaching post count can be fun, so we do allow the one such thread per user. Elf Lord seemed to be the logical point, since only 4% of our members have achieved this, and it is the final level. We expect someone to take several months or longer to reach Elf Lord. The 45-day stipulation was put in place to discourage spamming: the person would have to limit himself to an average of 11 posts per day or less to "qualify."

Really, the post counts and titles are just for fun. How people view you here will be based on the quality and not the quantity of the posts.

And let me remind you of this, also excerpted from the rules:

Quote:
If you wish to contact an individual member of the board, please use the Private Message (PM) feature instead of posting. If you have a complaint about another member or disagree with the actions of a moderator, PM the appropriate moderator. If no response is received within a timely manner, you should contact other admins/mods, and not post your grievances on the board.
Our goal is preserving the spirit of community without sacrificing post quality.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Old 10-02-2002, 09:22 PM   #17
gdl96
the greg the admin

Sorry about the *cough* explanation. It's been changed
Old 10-02-2002, 09:25 PM   #18
Snowdog

Right... well, being its ben a year + since I read all that, I screwed up twice. My apologies Admin, and Khamul in particular.... lets all

Peace Out!

Old 10-02-2002, 09:50 PM   #19
Ben
Retired Ent

Hehe, you've probably made more posts today discussing this silly issue than you have in the past month .

Obviously the rules were created to deal with troublemakers, not people like you, but we can't really bend the rules for "good" people without seeming like hypocrites. Thanks for understanding .

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Closed Thread