Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-18-2000, 11:41 PM   #1
Olorin22

Do you think the film is taking away imagination

The Lord of the Rings was a imaginative masterpeice, the film is taking this away from the story.

Do you agree ? Any comments welcome
Old 07-18-2000, 11:54 PM   #2
bmilder

Re: Do you think the film is taking away imagination

Well, to some degree. People who see the movie first will probably visualize the actors from the story as they read the books. But of course, the movies are just Peter Jackson's vision. You can still have your own. I don't think it really takes away from it too much.
Old 07-19-2000, 04:20 AM   #3
Shanamir Duntak

Re: Do you think the film is taking away imagination

It sure is taking away all the subtle work of the brain called imagination. But that's what movies are all about. EVERY book adapted to cinema is only the vision of the director. So the only way to keep your imagination flowing when you read the book after having seen the movie, is to read to book at least once before going to see that movie!

Anyway that's not the problem of the big majority here, most having read it multiples times...
Old 07-24-2000, 06:52 AM   #4
antokin

lotr

what the movie brings most are the settings in the books visualized like an old children's book you've come across again.
the movie will bring a sense of nostalgia for readers of lotr.
Old 07-24-2000, 01:27 PM   #5
RKittle

Re: lotr

Though, because of time and budget constraints, the movie will have to leave a lot out, it won't take amything away from the book itself. Whatever the films lacks will be just that - a shortfall for the films. In fact, when someone reads the book AFTER seeing the films they will most likely be pleasantly surprised!
Old 07-25-2000, 02:38 AM   #6
arynetrek

Re: lotr

in a best-case scenario, teh movie will be very well-done visually and also stay true to the books; and in that case the movie will be almost a companion to the books. but then in the worst case, the movie will do one of those "Let's Rewrite The Book" things & turn out horrible. and as shallow as this sounds, the actors in the movie (esp. the main 4 guys: Frodo, Sam, Gandalf & Aragorn) just will not physically look anything like the characters in my mind, & i think after i see the movie the imagined version of them will prevail. of course, i'm hoping all the actors will do such a good job that appearance would be only a minor thing...

aryne *