Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-06-2004, 05:17 AM   #1
abbamouse
Sapling

Strider The New Shadow -- Failure of Imagination?

Tolkien attempted to write a sequel to LOTR and gave up after it looked likely to become a "mere thriller" about orc-cults. He argued that there was no room for evil incarnate in the world of Men, making for a boring story. I think he was wrong. In fact, there are quite a few "supernatural" beings left in Middle Earth after the end of the Third Age to provide Evil Incarnate:
-- Two Istari remain unaccounted-for, and Tolkien had earlier speculated that they might be servants of Sauron or founders of cults. Why not have one or both of them behind the orc-cults?
-- "Spiders." Remember that the ones in Mirkwood had some intelligence, and I'm not sure Tolkien ever gave a time-frame for Shelob's disappearance. She was the daughter of a Maiar (?) after all...
-- Radagast is still around, no? Give the guy a chance to redeem himself by finally putting his duty to Illuvatar's children above his love of animals. Have him die a hero's death by taking on one of the Blue Wizards. Then again, perhaps he would turn on Men as they encroached upon and wontonly destroyed nature...
-- Did Tolkien ever explicitly rule out other dragons or Balrogs?

OK, I'm no JRRT. But I wonder if he gave up on a sequel a little too easily, perhaps because it would be difficult to work in the elves or that he was too focused on what would become the Silmarillion. After all, this list only includes Maiar-class beings, any one of which could prove to be too much for mortal Men, unaided by Illuvatar/fate, to stop.
abbamouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

It wasn't failure of imagination that stoppet him I think. It seems that he just did not have any interest in the history of Middle-Earth after Aragorn's time as regent. The history of the Elder Days and the old mythologies had after all been his chief concern all his life, and at the time when he wrote the beginning of "The new shadow" he was occupied in revising them.

Though personally I wish he had finished the story - it was well written, I liked it very much.

Last edited by Artanis : 03-06-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Artanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #3
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

Welcome to Entmoot, abbamouse!

I'm moving this thread to the Middle Earth forum since we usually discuss there the HOME books and other stuff (though they may be close related to LOTR). This is only for LOTR.

Interesting topic, BTW, but for me it'd be better to accomplish a "final version" of the Silmarilion and other stuff of the fist and second age before trying a LOTR sequel.
Old 03-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Oh yeah, welcome abbamouse!
Old 03-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #5
Maerbenn
Enting

Gandalf Re: The New Shadow -- Failure of Imagination?

Quote:
Originally posted by abbamouse
-- Two Istari remain unaccounted-for, and Tolkien had earlier speculated that they might be servants of Sauron or founders of cults. Why not have one or both of them behind the orc-cults?
Please read afro-elf's post(s) in this thread: Who can name all the wizards?
Maerbenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 11:23 PM   #6
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Such a sequel would have been extremely interesting! However, Tolkien did have a lot of huge projects on the go, so maybe it wasn't lack of imagination, but rather lack of time.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 04:56 AM   #7
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

hmm I was under the impression that Tolkien aborted this book because he was afraid it would just become a criticism of the follies and vices of humanity, and that it wouldn't actually provide any constructive value to the readers. for my part, i can't imagine Tolkien writing anything that couldn't provide value to at least some of his readers.
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote