Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2001, 02:53 AM   #1
Grand Admiral Reese

Calender pics...Good Lord they're amazing!

The twelve pics on the new Lord of the Rings movie calender(wish I could get my hands on one)have popped up online. I saw them here: www.lordoftherings.nl/nieuws.php?ID=455, but they're at a few other sites too. They're amazing, IMO. The characters are dead on.
Old 01-12-2001, 05:45 AM   #2
IronParrot

Re: Calender pics...Good Lord they're amazing!

WHOA!!! AMAZING!

And check out how they did Boromir's horn!
Old 01-12-2001, 05:47 AM   #3
IronParrot

Not to mention Gandalf's and Saruman's staves... are they meant to be shaped like the G and S runes? Beautiful.
Old 01-12-2001, 06:15 AM   #4
anduin

*jaw hits floor*

Wow is an understatement. And could Aragorn be any hotter??
Old 01-12-2001, 09:17 AM   #5
Fat middle

gotta love that Galadriel
Old 01-12-2001, 03:12 PM   #6
X Rogue

WooHoo! It's looking better all the time! Galadriel is lovely. Arwen looks much better than I thought, yaddayadda.
Old 01-12-2001, 06:09 PM   #7
Eruve

Woo Hoo! No, Aragorn could not possibly be any hotter!

One (extremly minor) nit pick: Why did they make Legolas blonde? Legolas should have dark hair, and on top of that, the actor portraying Legolas has dark hair. So why'd they bother with the bleach?
Old 01-12-2001, 09:56 PM   #8
anduin

Maybe because Howe or Lee (take your pic?) always (usually) portrays him with blond hair......

As you can see I am not too familiar with either Howe or Lee.
Old 01-13-2001, 01:59 AM   #9
Grand Admiral Reese

I think that people picture him with blond hair because Thranduil's his father, and he has blond hair. WEll, either way, its not a major thing, IMO.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:36 PM   #10
Eruve

Where did you see that Thranduil has blond hair? I don't remember that. (Is it from The Hobbit?)

Legolas was blonde in the Bakshi movie, too. I checked Lee and Howe pics on Rolozo, and it's not easy to tell. There was one where he might have been blonde, but it was hard to see. I know, I'm being really nit-picky.
Old 01-13-2001, 04:49 PM   #11
Darth Tater

People think all elves should be blond. Stoopid, IMO. Of course, there are also ppl who think NO elves should be blond (some are.) It's a minor thing, and not one that'll ruin the movie for me.
Old 01-14-2001, 12:25 AM   #12
Grand Admiral Reese

Yup, Thranduil was described as blond in The Hobbit. People tend to think "like father, like son" and assume Legolas has blond hair too. Personally, it doesn't bug me either way. Its the story that matters, not the hair color of one elf.
Old 01-14-2001, 02:04 PM   #13
Eruve

I know. For the record, I don't care that much either, and it's not like I won't go see the movie over this. Of course I'll go see the movie. I was curious more than anything else. I am a lot less familiar with The Hobbit than LOTR or Sil; I just haven't read it as often.
Old 01-15-2001, 08:03 PM   #14
Gilthalion

I always pictured Gandalf with broader shoulders...

Bilbo and Frodo are PERFECT! (So is Gollum!)

So is Galadriel and Gimli!
Old 01-15-2001, 09:58 PM   #15
Eruve

Yeah, me too...

I don't think that was Gollum. I thought so at first, but then I remembered that Gollum is going to be entirely CGI and is being kept top secret. I think that pic that looks like Gollum is actually an Orc.
Old 01-16-2001, 03:33 AM   #16
Gilthalion

You could be right. That was my second thought after posting. Nasssty it is, anyway!
Old 01-25-2001, 12:21 AM   #17
anduin

It is certainly an orc. Remember the internet preview, there was a scene with many orcs....somewhat of a close up....they looked just like that pic.
Old 01-26-2001, 01:13 AM   #18
Grand Admiral Reese

That pic's an Orc. That's even what it said when I saved it before I changed the name.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:43 PM   #19
dunedain lady

Wow! I say again-Wow! All the characters are almost exactly the way I envisioned them! Just one thing--does everyone else imagine hobbits with pointy ears? In my mind, only elves have them. Other than that, the hobbits are great.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:10 AM   #20
Inoldonil

Legolas and Hobbits

I for one don't picture Elves with pointed ears any more than Hobbits. The only refference to Elves having pointed ears was made around the same time the Noldor were Gnomes, Balrogs were man-sized creatures riding into the Beleriand battles, a Troll broke the bridge of Khazad-dum and Strider was actually Trotter, a Hobbit Ranger. It was written before J.R.R Tolkien revised Middle-earth, and later texts strongly suggest the Quendi do not look any different from Men, save that they are much fairer and their eyes are brighter. One of Tolkien's letters even directly states that Elves are biologically the same as Men.

Tolkien does however actually state in one of his earlier letters (soon after The Hobbit was published) that Hobbits had slightly pointed ears "and, well, Elvish". It's highly possible "Elvish" was just reffering to Shakespeare's Elves, (since he spelt them that way too, and they indeed clearly had pointed ears). But than in his later letters Tolkien states more than once that Hobbits are a dimunitive Race of Man, and since in no published work of his does pointed eared Hobbits come in, I personally discount the idea.

As for Legolas's hair colour, it's all speculation. Nowhere does it say what colour he had. His father's hair colour really doesn't have to reflect that of his sons. But Legolas was a Sinda, and most Sindar have silver-grey hair. Blonde wouldn't be any less unusual than Black. He may have Silvan (Nandorin/Avarin) blood in him though so who knows. We don't know what colour hair the Nandor had (but obviously the hue isn't important since it's not mentioned, so maybe none inparticular, but we know it's not all silver-grey like the Sindar), and the type of Avarin blood in the Silvan Elves is Nelyarin, the Avarin equivalent to Telerin, which again consists (broadly and app.) of the Sindar, Nandor and Laiquendi (the latter identicle physically to the Nandor). Legolas's hair colour I think is anyone's guess.