Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-20-2002, 05:00 PM   #1
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

An unreleased Middle Earth inspired movie

Anyone heard of this? I just came accross it on a tolkein website:

Ancanar is the name of a new Movie which is being developed by Elemental Films and Light Pirate Pictures with director Sam. R. Balcomb & producer Raiya Corsiglia. Ancanar is an original story written by director Sam. R. Balcomb and is set in the world created by J.R.R. Tolkien. It is about Ancanar a man who is the sole heir to the Rammoth Valley and its fortunes. He must search the Elven city where he hopes to find the redemption for himself and his family.

Ancanar is currently in post-production. The film will be presented to various studios and distributors for aquisition, as well as possible screenings at film festivals in Los Angeles / New York theaters for 2001/2002.

The Movie's homepage www.ancanar.com is used to bring a new defenition to the term "interactive moviemaking" giving visitor's the chance to watch, hear and participate in every aspect of the production. The site has been updated on September 1st and it is now a very cool Flash enabled site. The official site, Ancanar.com, sees thousands of visitors from around the world each day, and has been awarded several online awards for its design and interactivity. Among its features, guests can view documentaries, clips from the film, interviews with the cast & crew, as well as many stills and production notes. There is a full production section which chronicles each step of the filming process, from casting to location scouting to screen tests. The Interactive section features a Q&A with the cast and crew, where anyone can send in their queries and have them answered. There is even an Interactive Script page, where you can view a page of the Ancanar script and click various hotspots on it to reveal photos and director's notes.

for all you pippin's out there.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:03 PM   #2
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

Totally weird.

Actually, to me it sounds like a platform game for the Playstation.
Btw, should there be a LotR Playstation Game?
Hmm, maybe I should start that as a thread!
Old 03-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

Are you completely oblivious to the Gaming world Rosie?

There is a pc version coming out in American in Fall (Autumn to us english) so it is inevitable that there will b a playstation version.

Old 03-20-2002, 05:36 PM   #4
Glorious Glorfindel
Elven Warrior

strawberry, did u eat the internet or sumthing, only, u know WAYYY 2 much 4 a year 9 student! sorry, but hair gel, then all that stuff about middle earth movies, then all that computer knwledge, god knows wot else u know!!!
no offence
Na-chaered palan-diriel
o galadhremmin ennorath
Fanuilos, le linnathon
nef aear, si nef aearon!

add a drop of lavander to milk.
leave town with an orange and pretend you're laughing at it.
Glorious Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:40 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I'd seen that before...

I'd care not to speculate too much...

Rosie is most likely a non-gamer, yes.

When eating the internet, it's always best to cook thoroughly and use some spices.
Old 03-20-2002, 05:54 PM   #6
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I've been hearing about that for months, and I'm actually very interested. I don't think a large league of Tolkien fans are going to be jumping up and down in excitement, though. I, however, would love to catch it in theatres.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2002, 05:59 PM   #7
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

'Heard about it. I'll just wait until it comes out.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:05 PM   #8
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer

When eating the internet, it's always best to cook thoroughly and use some spices.
I like mine grilled just this side of rare with a little BBQ sauce for dipping.

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 01:24 PM   #9
Kyote Fields
Elven Warrior

i searched around the site a bit but I'm still confused. Did Tolkien write this story. I'm thinking no. but is it set in Middle Earth? What does Tolkien have to do with this movie?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:28 PM   #10
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

The news of this film fills me with inertia.

Here we go again, obviously the writers of the film can't create anything on their own, they have to base it on the works of someone else. I'm not familiar with this story, but if Tolkien DID write it, I'm sure Nolendil would know. Had Tolkien written the story, I probably would go see it, but I think it's pretty c-r-a-p-p-y that someone would release another Tolkien vehicle right in the middle of the release of the three films.

If Tolkien didn't write the story, then I'd not be very interested in seeing this film. I don't like unoriginal cover tunes, "illegitimization" of my favorite author's works, or cruddy cheap knock-offs capitalizing on Peter Jackson's efforts.

However, since it was slated to be shown on test screenings in 2001/2002, it is rather possible it has died a deserved death stillborn in a film company vault.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 04:44 PM   #11
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

I AM A GAMER!

It's just that I'm more of a Gameboy Advance and Playstation person than PC!

Yes, tis true Strawberry, you did indeed swallow the internet!
Old 03-21-2002, 05:23 PM   #12
Lanelf
Elven Warrior

Yessssssssss, Precioussssssssssssss...

Strawberry's only a year nine student? You must live on the internet! Do you EVER sleep!?!
I'm impressed! I wish I could get those LOTR games but I'm sure they're not as good as the movies...(that's me being proud, please don't think I'm nasty... I won't hurt anyone...)
Old 03-21-2002, 05:49 PM   #13
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

GG!!!! Dont give out my age on the internet!!!!!!

And no I hardly sleep at all! I do live on the internet i spend about 4 1/2 hours on it after school and on weekends i lose count. Well, I LOVE the internet. Am a big gamer as well.
Screenshots of LOTR game look amazing!

Old 03-21-2002, 08:47 PM   #14
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Alright, I thought Strawberry included in the summary of the film that "it is an ORIGINAL story/script" which means Tolkien did NOT write it. Period. However, the story is set in Tolkien's WORLD, Middle-earth in Arda, which of course Tolkien did create.

Let's say I create a story about a wandering person who journeys around looking for something, but I decide since I liked Tolkien's world so much I'm going to put MY character in HIS world. That's what's going on with this movie. It has nothing to do with LOTR. It is someone's character in someone's elses world, which I think is an interesting mix. We never were told about all the other people in Middle-earth, and anything's possible. You can compare this equally with RPG games based in Middle-earth, but not based on LOTR. If you like those, what's wrong with this movie?

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 03-22-2002 at 12:19 AM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2002, 09:16 PM   #15
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

strawberry, don't worry about your age here... well don't worry toomuch..

really though i like my internet sushi style, raw, wrapped in seagreens and rice!..

or you could put it in a taquito...
Old 03-21-2002, 10:37 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
I do live on the internet i spend about 4 1/2 hours on it after school and on weekends i lose count.
That's not bad... I'm online twice that some weekdays... and I'm ahead in my schooling.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:06 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Ancanar used to be Elessar and was all about Aragorn's life, but Saul Zaents and Tolkien Enterprises stepped in, because of course the film-makers of Elessar didn't have the license to make a movie based on the Lord of the Rings. They went to the Tolkien Estate for help but the Estate was silent. So they had to s-c-r-a-p it and make Ancanar, influenced but not based on Tolkien's works.
Old 03-21-2002, 11:07 PM   #18
dark over lord
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by StrawberryIcecream
Are you completely oblivious to the Gaming world Rosie?

There is a pc version coming out in American in Fall (Autumn to us english) so it is inevitable that there will b a playstation version.
oh god, the horror. oh the inhumanity. put it on gamecube and they shall be forgiven
The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own. And yet, how ironic, for now I find, I have no choice at all. I am a warrior, let the battled be joined.

-dinobot, and me, before i went and got myself shot-

The sleeper has awakend, i am the prince of all sayans once again-Vegeta-
dark over lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:28 AM   #19
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I agree with RE - there is nothing wrong with them creating a movie that is based in Middle Earth. I'll see it if it seems to be an interesting movie and something I'll enjoy.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2002, 02:47 AM   #20
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Yes, but look at the site for Ancanar (what a poetry-less name). "We will not hew you bow and leaf"? They can't spell - okay, that I can forgive, maybe it's a typo -- but they can't write either. Read the first two paragraphs of the History and you'll know. ("hard" mountains -- please!) I dislike dumping on anyone's creative effort (I have a novel in my closet myself) but this is not great stuff. It could be construed as an insult to Tolkien, if he weren't beyond worrying.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote